Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ethical consumerism

Render

Should we as consumers think about the moral consequences of where we spend our money?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Should we as consumers think about the moral consequences of where we spend our money?

• Yes
    • Yes, but it's not realistic to actually do so
    • No
    • No, the government should have a watching eye instead of the consumer

Yes. But how will you get that information at point of sale. Especially on impulse buys

Yes. But how will you get that information at point of sale. Especially on impulse buys

Well, then i would be the responsibilty of the consumer to be fully aware of what they buy, and not give in into impulse buys before researching the product.

Or it would call for a governmental intervention, but then your answer would've been : No, the government should have a watching eye instead of the consumer.

Great topic by the way. Yes I try and use the least I can. I could be less wasteful but theres alot that needs to get done and sometimes its just easier to through it out.

• Like 1

When I can I do, but my income is limited and it is not always practical. I do a lot of buying of used things, as I am a big believer in recycle, reuse.

• Like 1

morality and shopping do not go hand in hand for me.

i will refuse to spend my money in places i have a personal issue with, but morality? no.

Edited by JGirl
  • Like 1

Almost every transaction between a consumer and a supplier has some kind of 'ripple' effect (either for good or bad), so unless that transaction is conspicuously evil; human trafficking, drugs, bush meat etc etc., then my attitude is similar to that of Jgirl's. It's too complicated for everyday reasoning - Who has the time?

• Like 1

Ethical production would make that easier? I'm afraid that if we were to be truly ethical in our purchases we would starve and freeze to death in the attempt.

Even if you look up what you buy beforehand it is really hard to not accidentally support somebody or group that you find unethical. Way too much of a hassle.

Absolutely. We direct the path of society with our dollar votes. Everything from moral issues to the survival of billions of people will be determined by the choices we make.

We can do the efforts of living ethically. All we have to do would be small effort on our part to do research on the product we buy and then share that information with other who in turn would pass other information. It used to be done in past, it was called "barter". But instead of goods we exchange ideas and concepts.

We exchange stupid things for cash all the time.

Advice Helps Consumers Determine if They're "Naughty or Nice" When it Comes to the Environment

The green holiday season and shopping tips include:
  • Buy and eat less red meat and dairy, since environmental impacts of both are larger than other foods.
  • Bike, walk or take a bus to the store. That activity lessens the carbon footprint of purchases by about 50 percent.
  • Shop in advance, buy multiple items at the same store or choose the slowest online delivery service since overnight transport increases transportation and fuel carbon footprints by 20 percent.
  • Recycle gift-wrap.
  • Buy replacement appliances, lights and cars that are energy efficient.

http://www.cmu.edu/news/archive/2010/December/dec9_greenshoppingtips.shtml