Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

Had my fortune read on the weekend

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 25,974 posts

• Paranoid Android... One Mippippi, two Mippippi, three Mippipi....

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:59 AM

On Saturday night I went on a date with my girlfriend to a restaurant. Part of the entertainment was a Fortune Teller. Just for a bit of fun we had our fortunes read. I wasn't expecting much, just some light entertainment, the reading was only going to be five minutes, after all.

Anyway, 3 minutes into my reading she said "I'm just taking this job for a bit of extra cash, I think it's demeaning when people think of me as a fortune teller. I consider myself a medium, and I can sense you've lost someone recently".

I nodded.

"It's your mother, isn't it".

My mother passed away only two months ago. The fortune lady then told me that she had a message, to let me know that mum had been reunited with someone very close to her.

My father passed away only 11 months before mum.

Anyway, I generally take this as just some clever cold readings, but I wanted to share, if for no other reason than she was pretty good at her job, after only 3 minutes with me (didn't think I was that transparent, lol).

~ Regards, PA

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#2    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 4,985 posts

• I might have been born yesterday but, I've been up all night.

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:48 AM

Very sorry to hear about the recent loss of your parents.

But yeah, you mentioned 'clever cold readings'. If one guesses right (your mother died) it's not that intuitive to presuppose the loss of her husband, as wives usually live longer than their husbands.

Thanks for sharing, but what's your personal take (philosophical, metaphysical or other-wise) on the experience?

#3    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,973 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:52 AM

I'm not sure how I feel about such things but I do tend to avoid seeking them out. It sounds as though she offered comfort and that was a good thing no matter whether she has insight or not. I'm sorry to hear of your loss PA.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#4    _Only

_Only

• 6,634 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:08 AM

I've had only one run in with what you could call a 'medium', and it was just a short, bizarre few words that I haven't forgotten after all these years. It was back in my days of drugs, and I'd ended up in a mental hospital after a multi-day binge. As I sat in the front room silently thinking about the past few days ending with voices in my head tormenting and mocking me , a guy around my age then (low 20s) sat next to me for a second, then turned and said "you know, they're just trying to break you down", then paused, waiting for me to speak, and then said "you don't have to talk about it if you don't want to" and turned back forward. He was so nonchalant and honest in the way he said those words that it struck me, and I've not forgotten the bizarre moment.

Edited by _Only, 05 February 2014 - 07:10 AM.

I love to make mashups! Click here to hear!
I also love taking pictures! Click here to see!
I love to play drums, too! Whatever you do, don't click here!

#5    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 25,974 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:22 AM

View PostLikely Guy, on 05 February 2014 - 04:48 AM, said:

Very sorry to hear about the recent loss of your parents.

But yeah, you mentioned 'clever cold readings'. If one guesses right (your mother died) it's not that intuitive to presuppose the loss of her husband, as wives usually live longer than their husbands.

Thanks for sharing, but what's your personal take (philosophical, metaphysical or other-wise) on the experience?
Not that the woman would know it, but dad was 10 years older than mum. Though mum passed away a year later, she was ten years younger.

My personal take was that she was an adept cold reader. Made for an interesting night, in any case.

Edited by Paranoid Android, 05 February 2014 - 07:23 AM.

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#6    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 25,974 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:36 AM

View Postand then, on 05 February 2014 - 04:52 AM, said:

I'm not sure how I feel about such things but I do tend to avoid seeking them out. It sounds as though she offered comfort and that was a good thing no matter whether she has insight or not. I'm sorry to hear of your loss PA.
I didn't seek them out, they just happened to be there. But I do understand your concern as a fellow Christian. But I think of this as just some harmless entertainment rather than actually seeking to hear my future. My future is guided by God, not mediums. I think from a Christian point of view this is not incompatible with biblical views. The biblical argument seems to be about seeking mediums in order to seek guidance from them rather than God.

That's my view of the Bible, at least.

Posted Image

#7    ChrLzs

ChrLzs

Just a contributor..

• 3,246 posts

• I only floccinaucinihilipilificate
    when it IS worthless...

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:43 AM

PA, sorry to hear about your losses and I don't want to be an annoying skeptic over it, so feel free to tell me to mind my own.. :)

But I'm intrigued by the way you suggested that the restaurant included a fortune telling session...  I would then have to ask what sort of venue was this and did you book under your name, and/or are you or your partner (or even any friends that may have also been there) on facebook or any other forums where you could be identified?  Ie, I'm wondering if it really was 'cold'...  There are all sorts of methodologies - some of which may surprise you - that are used by the better ones.  And then there are the very old methods, eg the selling bibles by looking up obituaries trick seen on Paper Moon, and so on..

I'd suggest watching a few Derren Brown TV shows to get an idea of the newer methods..

All my posts about Apollo are dedicated to the memory of MID - who knew, lived and was an integral part of, Apollo.

"Like the JFK assassination conspiracy theories, the UFO issue probably will not go away soon, no matter what the CIA does or says. The belief that we are not alone in the universe is too emotionally appealing and the distrust of our government is too pervasive to make the issue amenable to traditional scientific studies or rational explanation and evidence." - Gerald K Haines

#8    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 25,974 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:04 AM

View PostChrLzs, on 05 February 2014 - 07:43 AM, said:

PA, sorry to hear about your losses and I don't want to be an annoying skeptic over it, so feel free to tell me to mind my own.. :)

But I'm intrigued by the way you suggested that the restaurant included a fortune telling session...  I would then have to ask what sort of venue was this and did you book under your name, and/or are you or your partner (or even any friends that may have also been there) on facebook or any other forums where you could be identified?  Ie, I'm wondering if it really was 'cold'...  There are all sorts of methodologies - some of which may surprise you - that are used by the better ones.  And then there are the very old methods, eg the selling bibles by looking up obituaries trick seen on Paper Moon, and so on..

I'd suggest watching a few Derren Brown TV shows to get an idea of the newer methods..
It was a Lebanese restaurant, the featured entertainment was a fortune teller and belly dancer. As for bookings, I'm afraid they had no way of identifying me. I booked the table under the name "Muppet", which is my girlfriend's nickname for me (apparently I'm cute and cuddly, just like them, lol - what can I say, I wanted to get there with her and say "table for 2, name -Muppet"). I've never been at this restaurant before, and it wasn't until I paid for the meal that they got my credit card for any identification, by which time I'd already had the reading.

I'm fairly certain it was just a hunch on her part, perhaps I said something that tipped her off about.... something.

Posted Image

#9    eight bits

eight bits

• 6,280 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:48 AM

PA

First, my condolences on the loss of your mother and father.

I agree that this was within the range of cold reading performance. What makes the technique "cold" is that if it works, it works immediately, without the time-consuming need to develop a relationship with the person being read. Once it is established that somebody has died, it is a safe bet that a survivor has consoled himself with the thought that she "had been reunited with someone very close to her." The fortune teller didn't say that someone was your father, you did.

I wouldn't entirely discount the reader's testimony, "I'm just taking this job for a bit of extra cash, I think it's demeaning when people think of me as a fortune teller. I consider myself a medium, ..." It is possible to cold read, with a high level of performance, and yet be utterly unaware of doing it. I don't know this woman, of course, but you're interested in other people's religious and spiritual thinking. Here is an opportunity for you to imagine the effect on a person who wants to believe, and has experiences that confirm both what she'd like to believe and also her gift.

That may be incorrect about this specific woman, but I an morally certain that such people exist.

You might also want to reflect on the effect upon you. I would venture that you had thought that your mother is now reunited with loved ones. Whatever the circumstances, to hear that from somebody else was comforting. As it happens, you already have a belief system that validates that thought. Imagine that you didn't, though. Offering that solace would be an effective draw for the beleif system that the woman aspires to represent, spititualism.

Finally,

It was a Lebanese restaurant, the featured entertainment was a fortune teller and belly dancer.
I lol'd. My first thought was "Now there's a typical Christian hangout." But my second thought was that you're the guy who was trying to arrange church services in a tavern. So, OK, now it makes perfect sense. Carry on.

Posted Image

#10    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 15,584 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:49 AM

Sorry to hear about your loss, PA.

Regarding the fortune teller. It is a safe bet that, for people of adult age, they have experienced the personal loss of the death of someone close. That question is typical of the ones that lead into a 'fortune telling'.

Once asked, you probably exhibited signs in body language that indicated it was a deep loss, and recent, however it is also possible that you had been observed during any conversation you had with your partner over dinner. Did you discuss anything related to your mother's passing, or were you, even at times, sombre/sad in your demeanour?

The little 'revelation' she granted you prior to your reading - that she was a medium and this was "just a job-on-the-side" - seems calculated to have you grant her a greater 'validity' for her 'abilities'.

It's always interesting to read of such encounters and look at the clever ways such people have of reinforcing the perception of their 'abilities'.

Edited by Leonardo, 05 February 2014 - 09:53 AM.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#11    quillius

quillius

52.0839 N, 1.4328 E

• 5,051 posts

• A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be.
    Albert Einstein

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:34 AM

View PostParanoid Android, on 05 February 2014 - 03:59 AM, said:

On Saturday night I went on a date with my girlfriend to a restaurant. Part of the entertainment was a Fortune Teller. Just for a bit of fun we had our fortunes read. I wasn't expecting much, just some light entertainment, the reading was only going to be five minutes, after all.

Anyway, 3 minutes into my reading she said "I'm just taking this job for a bit of extra cash, I think it's demeaning when people think of me as a fortune teller. I consider myself a medium, and I can sense you've lost someone recently".

I nodded.

"It's your mother, isn't it".

My mother passed away only two months ago. The fortune lady then told me that she had a message, to let me know that mum had been reunited with someone very close to her.

My father passed away only 11 months before mum.

Anyway, I generally take this as just some clever cold readings, but I wanted to share, if for no other reason than she was pretty good at her job, after only 3 minutes with me (didn't think I was that transparent, lol).

~ Regards, PA

Hey PA,

did the lady approach you whilst you were sat at the table? did she read your 'date' (hope it went well by the way :) ) ? and if so was it before or after your reading?

cheers

#12    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 25,974 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:17 AM

View Posteight bits, on 05 February 2014 - 09:48 AM, said:

I lol'd. My first thought was "Now there's a typical Christian hangout." But my second thought was that you're the guy who was trying to arrange church services in a tavern. So, OK, now it makes perfect sense. Carry on.
Obviously you don't live in South-West Sydney. Nothing wrong with eating Lebanese food with belly dancers and fortune tellers :P

Though my girlfriend isn't Christian so go figure ;)

To the rest of your comments, I do fully appreciate how people from different walks take different things from the same events, and how people may take an experience like this and get something entirely different.

Thanks for the feedback :tu:

Posted Image

#13    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 25,974 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:26 AM

View PostLeonardo, on 05 February 2014 - 09:49 AM, said:

Sorry to hear about your loss, PA.

Regarding the fortune teller. It is a safe bet that, for people of adult age, they have experienced the personal loss of the death of someone close. That question is typical of the ones that lead into a 'fortune telling'.

Once asked, you probably exhibited signs in body language that indicated it was a deep loss, and recent, however it is also possible that you had been observed during any conversation you had with your partner over dinner. Did you discuss anything related to your mother's passing, or were you, even at times, sombre/sad in your demeanour?

The little 'revelation' she granted you prior to your reading - that she was a medium and this was "just a job-on-the-side" - seems calculated to have you grant her a greater 'validity' for her 'abilities'.

It's always interesting to read of such encounters and look at the clever ways such people have of reinforcing the perception of their 'abilities'.
As far as I'm aware I don't recall taking about mum's passing beforehand. I got the impression she was a 3rd party employee rather than a collaborator with the establishment (though this is possibly a facade). More to the point, the girl I was with was also read, and nothing was said about her family deaths (she had no significantlosses, at least none that I'm aware of). Maybe someone observed negative body language, but to be honest I've been pretty positive since I met this woman.

But thanks for the input :D

Posted Image

#14    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 25,974 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:29 AM

View Postquillius, on 05 February 2014 - 10:34 AM, said:

Hey PA,

did the lady approach you whilst you were sat at the table? did she read your 'date' (hope it went well by the way :) ) ? and if so was it before or after your reading?

cheers
Hi quillius,

We were called to a private booth rather than our table. And yes, we were both given readings, and I went first. My date commented that she was less accurate about her than she was with me.

And yes, thank you for asking, the date went very well ;)

Posted Image

#15    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,402 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:55 AM

A good reader can identify things about yourself that it is good for you to know.  I don't think it's magic, but just a skill some people have, sometimes learned sometimes intuitive.  Once they have your main issues, their advice can be great.

Of course they often make guesses, and certain guesses, like a recent loss, are very likely to be correct.  Then they assess how serious the loss was to you before proceeding.  Then, again, a wrong guess can also be covered in a myriad of ways, with something like, "What I mean is . . .."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users