Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Home At Last

jjphere

In the Second World War, our relative was a soldier in the last part of the war and

participated in the occupying of Germany after peace was finally declared. They thought

he was safe since the war was over, but he was destined never to return.

When he had lived at home, before the war, he would go out some evenings and

would often come home quite late. He would knock on the outside wall three times

to tell his mother that he was home safe and it was just him.

Well, one night it was dark and late and his mother was in bed when she heard his

signal knocking against the outside wall. She was excited and happy but surprised.

He was not expected back yet. She got up to look for him and her daughter got up as well,

but he was not there, nor was there any sign of him.

Within a couple days she was contacted by the army that her son had unfortunately

died in the occupation. He died suddenly the very day that she heard the knockings.

This all happened before I was born, but years ago I heard the story from

both those whe were there that night.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

What a sweet story :) Thank you for sharing!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lovely story :)

Reminds me of something similar(ish) that happened to me many years ago. I was on holiday in Spain and sadly my nan died during an operation. I had no idea that this had happened as I hadn't called home (as usual!). The day she died I had the smell of her perfume in the apartment I was in, which instantly reminded me of her. That did prompt me to call home and find the sad news. Not as mysterious as the knockings (as the smell could have been pure co-incidence) but was a strange experience all the same.

• Like 1