Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hofstra student killed by police

Kowalski

Hofstra student killed by police during break-in

MINEOLA, N.Y. (AP) — In what police are describing as a crime of opportunity, a wanted man with a criminal history dating nearly 15 years entered a front door that had been left open at a New York home near Hofstra University.

A short time later, the intruder, Dalton Smith, and a 21-year-old college junior, Andrea Rebello, were both dead. The two were killed early Friday by a Nassau County police officer who fired eight shots at the masked man, hitting him seven times but also accidentally hitting Rebello once in the head, Nassau County homicide squad Lt. John Azzata said Saturday.

Smith was holding Rebello in a headlock and pointing a gun at her head before he turned his gun at the officer, Azzata said, prompting the shooting.

"He kept saying, 'I'm going to kill her,' and then he pointed the gun at the police officer," Azzata said.

Taken from http://news.yahoo.com/hofstra-student-killed-police-during-break-065118864.html

This is the kicker for me:

Earlier Saturday, police announced that Smith, 30, had been wanted on a parole violation related to a first-degree robbery conviction. A warrant was issued for Smith on April 25 for absconding from parole, police said.

Smith had what police described as "an extensive criminal history," which included arrests for robbery in the first degree in 1999, promoting prison contraband in the second degree in 2000, robbery in the first degree in 2003, assault in the second degree in 2003 and robbery in the second degree in 2003.

:huh: Why was this guy even paroled?! He should have stayed in jail where he belongs!

• Like 4

I agree totally, why was he even out on parole, and now an innocent is dead because of it. :(

• Like 4

:huh: Why was this guy even paroled?! He should have stayed in jail where he belongs!

Every year people get charged with manslaughter, those who have allowed these criminals back on the streets should not be charged with manslaughter, they should be charged with being an accessory to the crime.

I just can not understand how the do gooders are still getting away with this! The law has to changed to protect the public not only from the dangerous criminals but to protect the public from those who allow them back out onto the streets.

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 4

They will let people like this roam free when others are locked up for years over lesser crimes. I don't get it.

• Like 5

They will let people like this roam free when others are locked up for years over lesser crimes. I don't get it.

"They" should be held accountable. Just because they think they are the law makers, does not mean they should get away with abusing that position.

If you let your dog off the lead and you know it is vicious, if the dog attacks someone, the dog will be put down and you will be held accountable, I see no difference here.

• Like 3

I agree totally, why was he even out on parole, and now an innocent is dead because of it. :(

They had to make room in prison for non-violent drug users.

• Like 4

They had to make room in prison for non-violent drug users.

Don't even get started on that one....

Only police should have guns because they are highly trained and never make mistakes.

• Like 4

Taken from http://news.yahoo.co...-065118864.html

This is the kicker for me:

A very slippery slope Kowalski. Executing prisoners is far more humane than warehousing them for life, and cheaper too.

If executive branches are allowed indefinite detention, Obama style, for whomever they happen to designate, we've rather reached the point of Minority Report situations.

Yes, we're almost there already, but if one argues that the state can hold a person forever, well, that's skating on thin ice IMO.

• Like 2

A very slippery slope Kowalski. Executing prisoners is far more humane than warehousing them for life, and cheaper too.

If executive branches are allowed indefinite detention, Obama style, for whomever they happen to designate, we've rather reached the point of Minority Report situations.

Yes, we're almost there already, but if one argues that the state can hold a person forever, well, that's skating on thin ice IMO.

I get what you're saying. But, look at this guys rap sheet:

Earlier Saturday, police announced that Smith, 30, had been wanted on a parole violation related to a first-degree robbery conviction. A warrant was issued for Smith on April 25 for absconding from parole, police said.

Smith had what police described as "an extensive criminal history," which included arrests for robbery in the first degree in 1999, promoting prison contraband in the second degree in 2000, robbery in the first degree in 2003, assault in the second degree in 2003 and robbery in the second degree in 2003.

Seriously, why was he even paroled?? He was a career criminal. Career criminals like this should just be put down, honestly.

• Like 2

but if one argues that the state can hold a person forever, well, that's skating on thin ice IMO.

as long as we argue, and not keeping them locked up, that will happen. there is nothing wrong in keeping scum like that locked up for life. actually there is, it isn't making anyone think before doing dumb stuff, we should just fry them after third strike.

humane treatment, political correctnes, fears of being called racist is exactly what brought us where we are now.

not to mention, holding or frying someone who commited armed robbery 3 times isn't skating on thin ice. imo

Edited by aztek
  • Like 2

as long as we argue, and not keeping them locked up, that will happen. there is nothing wrong in keeping scum like that locked up for life. actually there is, it isn't making anyone think before doing dumb stuff, we should just fry them after third strike.

humane treatment, political correctnes, fears of being called racist is exactly what brought us where we are now.

not to mention, holding or frying someone who commited armed robbery 3 times isn't skating on thin ice. imo

FWIW, I favor the death penalty. I find it far cheaper for the tax payer, and far more humane to the individual, to simply execute someone. I know that just as many many innocent people have been imprisoned, consider the Central Park 5 as but one example, so there is a downside, but all things considered, kill the convicted, no matter how minor the crime, and let God sort them out.

But if we're going to play this game of due process presumption of innocence, well....

Clearly, Utopia is not an option. Folks who see the criminality and inefficiency of government, yet at the same time have a realistic expectation of the government delivering proper judgment and justice, have a bit of a schizophrenic and romantic view of government.

• Like 1

No one has mentioned the irresponsibility of the officer in this situation.... Hostage situation and he panics and starts shooting? My question is why didn't he retreat?

Also, I like how that no handgun law is working out there. Maybe everyone thinks the suspect just went and legally bought his gun?

• Like 2

No one has mentioned the irresponsibility of the officer in this situation.... Hostage situation and he panics and starts shooting? My question is why didn't he retreat?

Also, I like how that no handgun law is working out there. Maybe everyone thinks the suspect just went and legally bought his gun?

The officer was presented with an impossible situation. Attempt to save the life of the woman or potentially lose his and hers. He made his choice. Unfortinatlly hand guns are not that accurate at range. It is sad and unfortunate that this happened. However I firmly believe that the officer did what he could given the situation.

Had he retreated and waited for back up, who's to say that man wouldn't start killing people. Who's to say that young woman would be alive today. Police are faced with impossible decisions every day, some decisions end badly but to second guess those decisions in situations similar to this, is counter productive. What needs to be done is to re-asses the steps that lead up to this whole incident taking place. Which was for the parole board releasing a dangerous individual onto the streets.

I don't mean to say however that police are infallible, as we all know this is not the case and every force has it's share of bad apples, however in this situation I believe the officer was in the right to discharge the firearm when the suspect pointed the weapon at him.

~Thanato

• Like 3

The officer was presented with an impossible situation. Attempt to save the life of the woman or potentially lose his and hers. He made his choice. Unfortinatlly hand guns are not that accurate at range. It is sad and unfortunate that this happened. However I firmly believe that the officer did what he could given the situation.

Had he retreated and waited for back up, who's to say that man wouldn't start killing people. Who's to say that young woman would be alive today. Police are faced with impossible decisions every day, some decisions end badly but to second guess those decisions in situations similar to this, is counter productive. What needs to be done is to re-asses the steps that lead up to this whole incident taking place. Which was for the parole board releasing a dangerous individual onto the streets.

I don't mean to say however that police are infallible, as we all know this is not the case and every force has it's share of bad apples, however in this situation I believe the officer was in the right to discharge the firearm when the suspect pointed the weapon at him.

~Thanato

I agree. He was a veteran cop of many years, and was faced with a horrible situation. And he will have to LIVE with it for the rest of his life....

The whole situation could have been avoided if the guy hadn't been released on parole....I mean how many armed robberies does someone have to commit to be locked away for the rest of their lives? Did the parole board really think this guy had "changed"??

• Like 1

~Thanato

That's what he's supposed to do (above in bold). What he did was panic and start popping off.

Look, I'm not calling for the cop to be arrested or thrown in jail. I'm also not going to accept people justifying his misconduct just because he's a police officer. The guy who shot and killed the teenage intruder was crucified here because he killed him (and was completely legal), whereas everyone is trying to give this officer a pass because he was in a 'difficult decision'.

He messed up, and a criminal and a victim are dead from it.

Why shouldn't the cop be arrested? He killed someone 'accidently'. I think that calls for a real investigation, not a hidden from the public internal affairs one.

• Like 2

Why shouldn't the cop be arrested? He killed someone 'accidently'. I think that calls for a real investigation, not a hidden from the public internal affairs one.

I agree, it should be reviewed. I just don't want to make the accusation of criminality until more facts come out. I also don't want a 'free pass' granted to this man just because he's a police officer.

• Like 1