Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

UFO sightings warn of alien invasion

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#91    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 2,851 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 03:12 PM

View PostNuke_em, on 11 June 2011 - 11:28 AM, said:

Awesome!!! Insanely good production,music from resident evil... Epic...One flaw those things would be detected probably when they would be nearby earth. Army would react faster...Still freakin' awesome movie!!!
Actually the music is from 28 Days Later.

Anyway, I think that whether or not we should be sending messages to ETs is possibly a moot point.

For over 100 years Earth has been a beacon of electromagnetic radiation leaking out into space.  There's an ever expanding sphere (currently about ~100 light years radius) where ETs could pick up our signals and deduce they're obviously from an intelligent source, and try to make sense of them. On the other hand, maybe the signals will have become so diluted they will be indistinguishable from background noise.

I also wouldn't put much stock into what Stephen Hawking says, not because he's not a brilliantly intelligent man, but because like a lot of brilliant men, he's a world class expert in a narrow field of knowledge - quantum physics and cosmology - and thus doesn't necessarily have the knowledge of other subjects to make earth shattering proclamations about them. It's not that he's right or wrong, he's just another in a long line of people who are famous or experts in one field, making proclamations about fields they don't really know that much about.

Edited by Archimedes, 23 June 2011 - 03:13 PM.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

#92    BunnyGirl

BunnyGirl

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 05:58 PM

View PostArchimedes, on 23 June 2011 - 03:12 PM, said:

I also wouldn't put much stock into what Stephen Hawking says, not because he's not a brilliantly intelligent man, but because like a lot of brilliant men, he's a world class expert in a narrow field of knowledge - quantum physics and cosmology - and thus doesn't necessarily have the knowledge of other subjects to make earth shattering proclamations about them. It's not that he's right or wrong, he's just another in a long line of people who are famous or experts in one field, making proclamations about fields they don't really know that much about.

Archimedes,

I don't really have an issue with the first part of your post, but where the second part is concerned, would you mind specifying what field(s) he is making proclamations about?

#93    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 2,851 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 06:02 PM

The pros and cons of communicating our presence to extraterrestials.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

#94    BunnyGirl

BunnyGirl

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 06:10 PM

View PostbooNyzarC, on 23 June 2011 - 01:30 PM, said:

Can you kindly share this proof so that we can finally settle this debate once and for all?

I would like to see this proof as well.

And I agree -- Bassett is famous for claiming overwhelming evidence (OMG, it's a Truth Embargo!!!), but so are most Exopolitical representatives. While there may exist evidence that something anomalous is in our the skies, I have not seen or heard of any 'proof' of extraterrestrial contact or visitation.

#95    BunnyGirl

BunnyGirl

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 06:15 PM

View PostArchimedes, on 23 June 2011 - 06:02 PM, said:

The pros and cons of communicating our presence to extraterrestials.

That's a field?

If it is a 'field,' it's a field almost every human being on the planet would have a right to toss their 2 cents in to. There are no experts when it comes to unknowns such as possible alien intelligence(s).

#96    Goodnite

Goodnite

Outsider looking in.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

• Before I refuse to take your questions, I have an opening statement.

Posted 23 June 2011 - 06:17 PM

View PostBunnyGirl, on 08 June 2011 - 07:08 PM, said:

Well, almost no one.
Been there....done that.....got the t-shirt to prove it- :blush:

The King of the Beasts

#97    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 2,851 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 06:58 PM

Fair enough point, but my overall point still stands.

People have a tendency to give weight to quotes or statements from Einstein, Hawking, etc. that are on subjects that have nothing to do with why they were famous.  People think that because they were seriously smart dudes, that anything they say on any topic automatically has some sort of weight.

You're right that Stephen Hawking's opinion about extraterrestial life is about as worthy as the average man in the street's opinion, which is my point.  People shouldn't automatically give him credence on the topic.

#98    booNyzarC

booNyzarC

Forum Divinity

• Closed
  • 13,536 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 07:14 PM

View PostBunnyGirl, on 23 June 2011 - 06:10 PM, said:

I would like to see this proof as well.

And I agree -- Bassett is famous for claiming overwhelming evidence (OMG, it's a Truth Embargo!!!), but so are most Exopolitical representatives. While there may exist evidence that something anomalous is in our the skies, I have not seen or heard of any 'proof' of extraterrestrial contact or visitation.
Watching people like Bassett throw their little fits about the Truth Embargo has become comical to me.  He really gets worked up too, like he's saving the world or something.  I just don't get it.  I can't help but laugh.

#99    BunnyGirl

BunnyGirl

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 07:16 PM

View PostArchimedes, on 23 June 2011 - 06:58 PM, said:

People shouldn't automatically give him credence on the topic.

Of course not (I agree with you). He is as much in the dark about unknown civilizations as anyone else. I just don't see his comments as overstepping his boundaries in particular.

#100    BunnyGirl

BunnyGirl

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 07:19 PM

View PostbooNyzarC, on 23 June 2011 - 07:14 PM, said:

Watching people like Bassett throw their little fits about the Truth Embargo has become comical to me.  He really gets worked up too, like he's saving the world or something.  I just don't get it.  I can't help but laugh.

I feel the same way. My favorite is Greer and his Free Energy claims.

#101    Terra 333

Terra 333

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 25 posts

• I believe anything is possible.

Posted 26 June 2011 - 02:27 PM

View PostKelbie25, on 29 May 2011 - 05:17 PM, said:

Wish they would hurry already and plunder our land.........................least we would have confirmation!
I love your attitude/sarcasm!   I have been thinking about what Hawking "allegedly" stated about the dangers of "Contact". I have come to determine one of three things:   1. Hawking is an idiot (I.E.) they must already know we are here and there is nothing we could do to stop them, if they are that advanced.  2. He has become a tool for the "Elitists" who want to keep and accelerate "economic slavery system" on this planet.  3.  He does not speak for himself (New World Tool), or was taken completely out of context to create a bit of sensationalism (which sells better) than the typical story line.   Whatever it is 1, 2, or 3....I am deeply bothered by it. But I will get over it, so don't worry. "Stranger Danger" and "Contact" being put together in such a manner is ridiculous, ludicrous, and also quite disheartening coming from what I "used to think" of Hawking being a halfway intelligent person.

#102    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,149 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 27 June 2011 - 05:19 PM

I don't think the one's that have already been here are much of a threat, at least not at this time.  That doesn't mean that there aren't others that wouldn't have a problem wiping us out or using us as food.

#103    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 30,014 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 28 June 2011 - 03:18 AM

Wow, has this thread degenerated. It always surprises me to see people say Hawking is a fool, and then type that he is a tool of the elitists. I looked for a face-palm pic, but could not find one large, nor magnificent enough to suit the current situation.

Yes, these are the people calling Hawking a fool. Ironic isn't it! Most cannot even read well enough to determine when he is speculating or offering a serious hypothesis, but I suspect his intelligence is so high that such simply all collectively zooms over said heads. At FTL too. Gracious ET could sure be forgiven for mistaking earth as having no intelligent life should his access be via such tripe.

Even more ironic, is that these claims come from those who call themselves "openminded".

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo 'If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.' - Sir Isaac Newton. "Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit." Ed Stewart. Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs. Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Sir Wearer of Hats.

#104    know_doubt

know_doubt

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 03:20 AM

View PostHilander, on 27 June 2011 - 05:19 PM, said:

I don't think the one's that have already been here are much of a threat, at least not at this time.  That doesn't mean that there aren't others that wouldn't have a problem wiping us out or using us as food.
Don't worry... if they want to eat humans, they'll probably just clone us in vats or something.

OTOH feral humans might make good pets.  Very trainable!

#105    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 16,656 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 01:52 PM

View Postpsyche101, on 28 June 2011 - 03:18 AM, said:

Wow, has this thread degenerated. It always surprises me to see people say Hawking is a fool, and then type that he is a tool of the elitists. I looked for a face-palm pic, but could not find one large, nor magnificent enough to suit the current situation.

Yes, these are the people calling Hawking a fool. Ironic isn't it! Most cannot even read well enough to determine when he is speculating or offering a serious hypothesis, but I suspect his intelligence is so high that such simply all collectively zooms over said heads. At FTL too. Gracious ET could sure be forgiven for mistaking earth as having no intelligent life should his access be via such tripe.

Even more ironic, is that these claims come from those who call themselves "openminded".

Indeed ,Indeed ! That seems to be the problem . Mankind will need to open his mind to ever see whats out there to See !
Stephen Hawkings is quite the Mind of our times. But to say anything is impossible or it can only be this way or another is locking your door to open
processe`s of our thinking process. We need to be sometimes Smacked right in the Face to open our Eyes !
We may have only a few hundred years on this rock left the way we are going !

Attached Files

This is a Work in Progress!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users