Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What Do Animals See in a Mirror?

Still Waters

The idea for a tool to probe the basis of consciousness came to Gordon G. Gallup, Jr. while shaving. “It just occurred to me,” he says, “wouldn’t it be interesting to see if other creatures could recognize themselves in mirrors?”

http://nautil.us/iss...see-in-a-mirror

From the article, emphasis mine;

"For Reiss and Marino, the dolphin study was not only convincing, it was a call to action. They and others argue that passing the mirror test indicates a level of self-awareness that makes it unethical to keep a species in captivity. “These animals have at least some level of self-awareness, and if they do, they know where they are, they can be aware of the limitations of their physical environment,” Marino says"

I don't think we need a mirror test to verify that many captive animals suffer because of "the limitations of their physical environment".

Many animals go insane, continuously pacing back and forth and biting at the cage. As for intelligence, self-awareness, consciousness or higher emotions, I don't think those are necessary criteria.

"The question is not, Can they reason? nor, Can they talk? but, Can they suffer?" - Jeremy Bentham

• Like 2

The idea for a tool to probe the basis of consciousness came to Gordon G. Gallup, Jr. while shaving. “It just occurred to me,” he says, “wouldn’t it be interesting to see if other creatures could recognize themselves in mirrors?”

http://nautil.us/iss...see-in-a-mirror

When my dog was young, I showed him a mirror and since he barks at every new person or animal he ever sees, that's how he reacted. I carried him to another mirror and let him see my reflection with his. He was facinated and kept looking at it and then me. When I pointed at him and said that's what you look like, he got all excited and started licking me and was so happy. I let him look into a mirror at his height and he was so facinated, looking and lifting his paws and it did the same! Now he's the most vain acting thing you ever saw in front of a mirror, except when he needs groomed, he looks and turns away quickly LOL

I had two other dogs that were really intelligent and you could tell they knew, the other dog I have forget it. He'd only react if he saw a sausage reflected in the mirror and then try to eat the mirror.

Even members of the same species can be bright or stupid but both have the same feelings and even the stupid ones are self aware if not to the same extent. We shouldn't judge animals and how we treat them just because of their level of self awareness in human terms.

Captivity, neglect or abuse have the same effect even on the less brilliant. We show our true humanity by having compassion and showing respect for all life.

• Like 1