Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Did Oprah cause the economic crash ?

UM-Bot

economy.jpg
Phillip Tilley: Did Oprah cause the economic crash? It is possible she is at least partly to blame. A year and a half ago the economy was humming along doing fine, consumer confidence was high and so was the stock market. Then Oprah had the author to the book “The Secret” on her program not once but twice to promote it. The Secret uses junk science to convince gullible people they can have whatever they want if they wish it into existence.

Ten million people bought the book and began secretly using the secret to get what they wanted. A new house or car, a big screen TV, and a vacation to Hawaii were all high on the lists of most people. When the secret wasn’t working, they used their credit cards and took out loans and got what they secretly wanted anyway because they believed the secret would secretly send them money to pay for it all so they didn’t worry. They are worried now because there is no money.

Now we are in the midst of an economic crisis. It is no secret that overextending your purchasing power and expecting a miracle will make you go into delinquency, foreclosure, and bankruptcy. I wonder how many of those readers of The Secret would secretly like to sue Oprah and the author of The Secret for influencing them to foolishly destroy their own lives? A real secret is that influence is one of the mechanisms of the money matrix.

If you don’t believe only ten million people could destroy the economy of the U.S. or that Oprah could influence a crisis in the economy I’ll show you how it works.

In 1996 Oprah had a guest talk about Mad Cow on her program and she said something to the effect that she wasn’t going to eat another burger. Texas cattlemen lost $12 million as cattle prices dropped and beef consumption went down. That was just $12 million in Texas. Total loses nation wide were likely $100 million. So in the past, Oprah has had an influence on at least one sector of the economy and if she endorses a book the author becomes a millionaire, count two of influence on the economy.

If you don’t think only 10 million people can crash the economy, consider how few people it takes to elect a President. There are 300 million Americans, half of them are eligible to vote, 150 million. Half of those eligible to vote actually register, 75 million.

On election day half of the registered voters vote, 37.5 million. 51% vote for the winning candidate, 19.25 million. That is only 6.4% of the U.S. population, and only 12.8% of eligible voters. You only need to influence 6.4% of eligible registered voters that actually vote to get elected!

10 million people is only 6.6% of consumers. I wouldn’t say Oprah was malicious or intended to crash the economy, she was merely a tool of influence for the Money Matrix. With the Butterfly Effect, what affects 10 million affects us all. A trail of information leads only to the truth. Wake up people, the money matrix has you.

Phillip Tilley is author of The Money Matrix of the New World Order and other articles.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Oen Anderson

• MID

• conspiracybeliever

• Lt_Ripley

Thats a good enough theory. I havn't read it all though. The secret isen't all full of crap. Oprah has even had her effect over here in Ireland. You have the odd text that's read out on the radio regarding The Secret. Somethings about the secret is balls but some aspects are true. No need to make a big deal out of it and try and sell it as if it's something revolutionary. The law of attraction, no big deal. "THE UNIVERSE CHANGES TO YOUR DESIRES!!!" Maybe thats a bit poetic and exaggerated for them. It's more like you adapt to the universe.

Edited by Mbyte

And how many people voted for Obama just because of Oprah? This country is loaded to the brim with mindless drones that do everything based on poor reasoning. From everyone getting tattooed to voting for a certain candidate, it's like leading cattle to the slaughter.

Lets just hope this latest Oprah influence doesn't backfire or she will end up in the bread line with everyone else.

She is at the height of her career, I suspect something is about to change dramatically for her. It’s an old pattern and we have seen it many times before.

Wouldn't that be fummy Oprah asking for some bail out money :lol:

The Secret's biggest secret is that it isn't new. Anthony Robbins promoted the same ideas, and so did every other used car salesman since days of old. And blaming a single black woman for a nation's woes is striking pretty low on the credibility scale, if you ask me. People were buying more than their budget could allow long before Oprah's great grandparents were even born. Want to blame someone? Look in the mirror.

Why do you have to put "black" women in it? Like we dont know shes black :wacko: what does "black women" have to do with this topic. Its more of a very wealthy woman and how she has an influence on many people.

I don't think Oprah is at the height of her career. I think her career is coming to an end as far as the talk show goes. Her ratings have dropped a lot in the last couple of years since Ellen is on at the same time as her. Or however long it's been.

Why do you have to put "black" women in it? Like we dont know shes black :wacko: what does "black women" have to do with this topic. Its more of a very wealthy woman and how she has an influence on many people.

Her influence isn't so great that she can singlehandedly lead a nation into financial catastrophe. :mellow:

Wonder when she will run for president. millions of her minions voting in the first american black female president. that could be her secret plan, sitting in her lair, waiting waiting.

I disagree with those here who disparage Mr. Tilly. He's an intelligent writer and and innovative thinker that always makes me look at things in a different way.

However, this column makes a lot ofsubtle errors in logic, IMO. For example, people have been abusing credit cards for about 20 years --long before Oprah bolstered the moronic "Secret." By the time Oprah -- who is nothing more than a weak-minded entertainer -- came out for the Secret, we were long on our way to imploding due to spending beyond our means. At best, Oprah may have only nudged a long-term process along -- but I don'tthink she even did that.

Also, the statistical argument about elections is in no way accurate, again, in my opinion. While it may be true that one only has to sway about 6 percent of voters -- you still have to make and effort like you are going after 100% so that you can encompass that group of swing voters.

Politicians don't develop their strategies based on getting that special 6 percent -- they campaign like they are tyring to get 100% -- so to say that you only have to get that small group is all but meaningless.

Even the mad cow example doesn't even cme close to passing the test. A few hundred million in beef sales is chicken feed, even within the paramaters of the beef market. ALso, the market easily recovered after the scare was forgotten.

Remember, we're talking about an economy measured in trillions of dollars -- small changes in individual industries cannot be used as comparisons to the big picture -- you can't take micro examples and make macro conclusions.

Still -- I read Mr. Tilly columns with eagerness every time he brings one out -- he's a great writer and a fascinating thinker.

Edited by IronGhost

linked-imagePhillip Tilley: Did Oprah cause the economic crash? It is possible she is at least partly to blame. A year and a half ago the economy was humming along doing fine, consumer confidence was high and so was the stock market. Then Oprah had the author to the book “The Secret” on her program not once but twice to promote it. The Secret uses junk science to convince gullible people they can have whatever they want if they wish it into existence.

Ten million people bought the book and began secretly using the secret to get what they wanted. A new house or car, a big screen TV, and a vacation to Hawaii were all high on the lists of most people. When the secret wasn’t working, they used their credit cards and took out loans and got what they secretly wanted anyway because they believed the secret would secretly send them money to pay for it all so they didn’t worry. They are worried now because there is no money.

Now we are in the midst of an economic crisis. It is no secret that overextending your purchasing power and expecting a miracle will make you go into delinquency, foreclosure, and bankruptcy. I wonder how many of those readers of The Secret would secretly like to sue Oprah and the author of The Secret for influencing them to foolishly destroy their own lives? A real secret is that influence is one of the mechanisms of the money matrix.

If you don’t believe only ten million people could destroy the economy of the U.S. or that Oprah could influence a crisis in the economy I’ll show you how it works.

In 1996 Oprah had a guest talk about Mad Cow on her program and she said something to the effect that she wasn’t going to eat another burger. Texas cattlemen lost $12 million as cattle prices dropped and beef consumption went down. That was just $12 million in Texas. Total loses nation wide were likely $100 million. So in the past, Oprah has had an influence on at least one sector of the economy and if she endorses a book the author becomes a millionaire, count two of influence on the economy.

If you don’t think only 10 million people can crash the economy, consider how few people it takes to elect a President. There are 300 million Americans, half of them are eligible to vote, 150 million. Half of those eligible to vote actually register, 75 million.

On election day half of the registered voters vote, 37.5 million. 51% vote for the winning candidate, 19.25 million. That is only 6.4% of the U.S. population, and only 12.8% of eligible voters. You only need to influence 6.4% of eligible registered voters that actually vote to get elected!

10 million people is only 6.6% of consumers. I wouldn’t say Oprah was malicious or intended to crash the economy, she was merely a tool of influence for the Money Matrix. With the Butterfly Effect, what affects 10 million affects us all. A trail of information leads only to the truth. Wake up people, the money matrix has you.

Phillip Tilley is author of The Money Matrix of the New World Order and other articles.

I think someone is thinking too much...with severed neurons.

Oprah...because she pushed "The Secret"?

Whoo...we'll affix the "blame" on anyone we can come up with, won't we?

I think someone is thinking too much...with severed neurons.

lol!!!

Her earnings (not total) for '06/'07; $280m (currency err, currently @ #1)...No wonder the economy crashed.

:rofl::lol::rofl:

Edited by REBEL

However, this column makes a lot ofsubtle errors in logic, IMO. For example, people have been abusing credit cards for about 20 years --long before Oprah bolstered the moronic "Secret." By the time Oprah -- who is nothing more than a weak-minded entertainer -- came out for the Secret, we were long on our way to imploding due to spending beyond our means. At best, Oprah may have only nudged a long-term process along -- but I don'tthink she even did that.

Hey...

Maybe Oprah used the Secret, eh???

Maybe she didn't spend beyond her means, and did nothing to nudge along a long term process, which was created by the illusion of being able to afford more than one could possibly hope to pay for...an easy out, as-it-were, rather than relying on one's self to accomplish what one wanted to accomplish....?

Just a thought.

Maybe Oprah sees something in this that reflects her own paradigm, and illustrates her success, and perhaps those who don't see it that way (very likely the majority) are taken aback by her support for this "nonsense"?

Blaming Oprah for the current economic situation is a cop out on a grand scale. We keep looking for someone to blame. Might as well pick on a successful entertainer...

No more silly an idea have I ever heard, and I'm not even a fan of Oprah!

Actually to be fair to Oprah I can remember one of her shows, actually a couple, when she had financial people on her show and she kept repeating.." Do not use credit cards". " And if you do only use what you can pay off at the end of the month. "

lol!!!

Her earnings (not total) for '06/'07; $280m (currency err, currently @ #1)...No wonder the economy crashed.

:rofl::lol::rofl:

Who keeps track of what someone pays for ear rings?

Wait...I take that back!

After all, someone paid attention to the RNC paying $150,000.00 to make sure Sarah Palin and her family looked good on the campaign trail, didn't they? That was a matter of import as I recall, no?

And then there was this overt interest in her medical records...as if that made a difference to the world...no?

On second thought, I'd bet there is an ear ring ranking list somehwere in the wrold!

:w00t:

Actually to be fair to Oprah I can remember one of her shows, actually a couple, when she had financial people on her show and she kept repeating.." Do not use credit cards". " And if you do only use what you can pay off at the end of the month. "

Yes, I posit that might be true...good advice, of course.

Of course, someone's liable to come up withe the "What-does-Oprah-know-about that?" argument, seeing as she hasn't needed a credit card in decades....

Oh well...I guess she's not qualified to speak to the issue!

QUOTE (IronGhost @ Dec 8 2008, 06:37 PM) *

nothing more than a weak minded entertainer ?? let's see you build an empire from nothing more than your mind. If anything she's very shrewd , quick and smart. I don't see her investments needing bailing out . She could teach wall street a thing or two. Remember she has more than just a show. Her businesses have flourished. That's more than Bush can say.

That made absolutely no sense whatsoever. So the promotion of a book failed the economy? Right-o. I've seen it promoted elsewhere, Oprah isn't the only one saying "The Secret" is a grand-ole read--I'm pretty sure people have heard about it elsewhere.

Honestly. Blaming the economic fail on people that want to buy crap because of a book because of Oprah...? Can't we blame ourselves for once instead of looking for an outlet? :/

There was nothing in The Secret that promoted irresponsible spending and racking up the credit cards. The secret is about creative visualization and how it can affect what happens to you in life. It is the mortgage crisis that is hurting the financial world most of all. Also in the US, it is the fact that all of our manufacturing jobs have gone overseas, so when consumer spending slows down, it puts the US economy in trouble.

Of course, someone's liable to come up withe the "What-does-Oprah-know-about that?" argument, seeing as she hasn't needed a credit card in decades....

This is true but if you listen to Oprah, and I haven't been able to for a while because the woman is so full of herself...she believes her entire success is due to the fact that she made all the right decisions and did everything perfectly. She says she always lived her life that way, no credit cards, even when she was poor.

This is true but if you listen to Oprah, and I haven't been able to for a while because the woman is so full of herself...she believes her entire success is due to the fact that she made all the right decisions and did everything perfectly. She says she always lived her life that way, no credit cards, even when she was poor.

Can someone delete one of those? I hate that.

Hey...

Maybe Oprah used the Secret, eh???

Maybe she didn't spend beyond her means, and did nothing to nudge along a long term process, which was created by the illusion of being able to afford more than one could possibly hope to pay for...an easy out, as-it-were, rather than relying on one's self to accomplish what one wanted to accomplish....?

Just a thought.

Maybe Oprah sees something in this that reflects her own paradigm, and illustrates her success, and perhaps those who don't see it that way (very likely the majority) are taken aback by her support for this "nonsense"?

Blaming Oprah for the current economic situation is a cop out on a grand scale. We keep looking for someone to blame. Might as well pick on a successful entertainer...

No more silly an idea have I ever heard, and I'm not even a fan of Oprah!

The article didn't blame Oprah for the economic crash. It began in the form of a question, then used supporting evidence which as IronGhost pointed out was weak at best. At no point in the article does it say Oprah crashed the economy and not a shred of direct evidence, merely a suggestion. Now Mr. Tilley has influenced you to respond to a statement that was never made, that Oprah crashed the economy. You have to ask yourself that if Tilley can influence someone as intelligent as you with a question and the power of suggestion in an article that takes only two minutes to read, (I timed myself), how much easier is it to influence 20 million bobble heads that tune in to your show for an hour a day every week? I'm going to go out on a limb and say 20 million times easier. I would like to hear your thoughts on this when the daze wears off!

There was nothing in The Secret that promoted irresponsible spending and racking up the credit cards. The secret is about creative visualization and how it can affect what happens to you in life. It is the mortgage crisis that is hurting the financial world most of all. Also in the US, it is the fact that all of our manufacturing jobs have gone overseas, so when consumer spending slows down, it puts the US economy in trouble.

Who influenced you to believe it was the mortgage crisis that is crashing the economy? All the delinquent mortgages could have been paid off six months ago for only $150 billion, so why did the Fed say it needed $700 billion and didn't even use it to pay off those delinquent mortgages? There is more going on here that meets the eye, look deeper!