Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Left-handed Gene Linked to Mental Illness?

glorybebe

The gene that likely makes people left-handed may slightly raise the risk of developing psychotic mental illnesses, according to an international study.

Led by the Wellcome Trust for Human Genetics at the University of Oxford, the study involves a team of 40 scientists from 20 research centres across the world, and was published online Tuesday in the scientific journal Molecular Psychiatry.

"This is the first potential genetic influence on human handedness to be identified, and the first putative genetic effect on variability in human brain asymmetry," said an abstract on the study.

The scientists said that little is known about the gene LRRTM1, but they suspect that it modifies symmetry in the human brain. Asymmetry is important, since the left side of the brain usually controls speech and language and the right side controls emotion. With left-handers this pattern is often reversed.

lefty

hhhmmm...that explains it. My ex is a lefty. LOL

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• glorybebe

• Rocket88

• Roj47

• ASOP

The gene that likely makes people left-handed may slightly raise the risk of developing psychotic mental illnesses, according to an international study.

I disagree..... Where's my axe??? die die die *sucks thumb and bounces of padded wall*

I disagree..... Where's my axe??? die die die *sucks thumb and bounces of padded wall*

Gee...Are you a lefty? :o LOL

I am not mentally ill. :blink: Yes you are. :wacko: Who said that? :blink: No really this stuff is really dumb dont they have better things to do then spend millons of dollors on this kind of stuff.

Gee...Are you a lefty? :o LOL

No I am not a lefty.... I am a lefty.... :wacko: Tsk.... Why is it so hard to follow? *dribble*

Edited by Roj47

No I am not a lefty.... I am a lefty.... :wacko: Tsk.... Why is it so hard to follow? *dribble*

LOL, you guys are funny. I am ambidextrous, so what does that say about me? :huh:

eeeewwwwww-aaaaawwww eeeeeeeewwwwwwww-aaaaawwwwwwww I'm a fire engine (not a donkey)...

I am left handed right? Not right, right? Definately left, right.

I am ambidexterous too...... I can't use either hand..... *wibble*

Using your left hand is a gene now?

I was a left handed kid, then my dad taught me to use my right hand instead.

...No wonder my writing is like a chicken with ink on it's claws ran across my page.

Besides that, left handedness is also linked to geniality. I'm right handed....

Oops that should say kidding. I'm a dork.

LOL, I knew what you meant, it's all good.

I write left handed, play guitar right handed, when playing cricket i bat right handed, bowl left handed. I"ve never really decided which hands the knife n fork are comfortable in. HELLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP! :D

I suffer from Manic Depression. :w00t::D:rofl::innocent::devil::yes::no:

As i understand it (which doesnt mean much), the left side of the brain controls the right body & deals with the day to day basics of life. The right side of the brain is controls the left body & deals with trippy stuff, daydreams, song writing & generally creative/destructive stuff.

Lefties use more of the right brain & less of the left brain.

Well,thats about all i know.

NO, you know nothing.

Yes i do.

No you dont..............................oh, here we go again..............another night of arguing with ME & losing the argument ! :wacko:

Led by the Wellcome Trust for Human Genetics at the University of Oxford, the study involves a team of 40 scientists from 20 research centres across the world, and was published online Tuesday in the scientific journal Molecular Psychiatry.

"This is the first potential genetic influence on human handedness to be identified, and the first putative genetic effect on variability in human brain asymmetry," said an abstract on the study.

The scientists said that little is known about the gene LRRTM1, but they suspect that it modifies symmetry in the human brain. Asymmetry is important, since the left side of the brain usually controls speech and language and the right side controls emotion. With left-handers this pattern is often reversed.

lefty

hhhmmm...that explains it. My ex is a lefty. LOL

What a ridiculous research to do! I wonder if they ever considered that a left-handed person's brain is just reverse so instead of the left side of the brain usually controlling speech and language and the right side controlling emotion, it is just the other way around not through any potential mental illness but because the brain is just different - rather like different colour skin.

LOL, you guys are funny. I am ambidextrous, so what does that say about me? :huh:

You are a gonna :lol:

Just kidding x

Edited by Lotus Flower

What a ridiculous research to do! I wonder if they ever considered that a left-handed person's brain is just reverse so instead of the left side of the brain usually controlling speech and language and the right side controlling emotion, it is just the other way around not through any potential mental illness but because the brain is just different - rather like different colour skin.

You are a gonna :lol:

Just kidding x

Actually, about ten years ago there was a study that found 75% of men who were left handed were gay. Whether it was true or not, who cares, but boy did I bug my boss and two co-workers, they were all lefties. :D

Oh jeeze.. so my father in law really could be a psychotic serial killer! Alright, new plan! Cut off his left hand, force him to go right, right!!??

Well, I'm lefty-- when I'm diagnosed you guys be first to know... :/

Well, I'm lefty-- when I'm diagnosed you guys be first to know... :/

LOL. It's funny (weird) that they 'discovered' this when they used to say that left handedness was a sign of the Devil. :huh:

Mental illness, satanic worship and homosexuality here i come!

LMAO!

They have to have an excuse for everything, don't they? :huh:

What about is a person is left-legged? :lol:

On a more serious note, I remember when I was about five years old, in school eating their horrible dinners and eating left-handed (even though I am right-handed), the teacher would take the knife and fork out of my hands and reverse them. That used to annoy me, it is a wonder I did not end up w-w-w-w-w-w-with a s-s-s-s-s-s-stutter!! :angry2:

What about is a person is left-legged? :lol:

On a more serious note, I remember when I was about five years old, in school eating their horrible dinners and eating left-handed (even though I am right-handed), the teacher would take the knife and fork out of my hands and reverse them. That used to annoy me, it is a wonder I did not end up w-w-w-w-w-w-with a s-s-s-s-s-s-stutter!! :angry2:

I think that was so mean! They did that to my aunt in school as well and she wasn,t allowed to write with her left hand,so she had to force herself to write with her right hand and developed the most unreadable writing ever! Her writing looks worse than a doctors, and no one can read one word they write except the pharmacist and even they get it wrong a lot! Thats why they say you should always double check your prescriptions, apparently they want to stop hand written prescriptions all togeather because of all the mistakes made by pharmacists who have given the wrong meds and/or dosages and many people have died or become horribly ill because of that!