Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Where did Jesus get those ideas, anyway?

metaphysics new age nova thought taoism

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16    C235

C235

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Closed
  • Pip
  • 216 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:13 PM

Could it be that chengiz khan & hitler met too? :w00t:

#17    Magicjax

Magicjax

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:05 PM

Did Gautama Buddha live before Jesus supposedly lived?  If so I'd imagine his philosophy could have been passed along. Is this possible? I'm claiming to know. I'm just asking.

Man in suit!

Posted Image

#18    eight bits

eight bits

• 6,396 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:35 AM

Did Gautama Buddha live before Jesus supposedly lived?

Yes, about 500 years or so. The actual life dates are unknown for either man, typical estimates place the Buddha roughly 400 to 600 years before the Christ.

If so I'd imagine his philosophy could have been passed along. Is this possible? I'm claiming to know. I'm just asking.

Yes. Gautama founded monasteries, and the monasteries dispatched missionaries. Some of them could have gone west; the Silk Road was available to them. If not Buddhist missionaries, then Westerners who went east to trade, and brought back stories of India.

However, there is a simpler explanation. The Buddha's contemporary, Heraclitus, had many of the same ideas as Gautama, except that Heraclitus didn't make a religion of it. He did, however, donate his book to a library. Socrates read the book, and taught it to Plato. Plato taught it to Aristotle, and Aristotle taught it to Alexander the Great. Alexander, his generals and their successors imposed Greek culture far and wide, including upon the Jewish homeland.

Moreover, Heraclitus inspired the Stoics, who were everywhere in the post-Alexander Hellenistic world. Philo of Alexandria saw the Stoic-Jewish connection. Jesus might have, too. Justin Martyr, a not quite proto-orthodox early Chrisitan writer called Heraclitus a Christian (as someone who lived "reasonably" before Jesus, First Apology, chapter 46).

http://www.earlychri...rstapology.html

It's just not that difficult for a Hellenistic figure's ideas to resemble the Buddha's.

Posted Image

#19    AquilaChrysaetos

AquilaChrysaetos

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

• "Some people wish to be the sun, so they can brighten your day. I wish to be the moon, which shines down upon you in your darkest hour."

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:45 AM

View PostArmchair Educated, on 28 November 2012 - 02:25 PM, said:

face palms self repeatetly untill what ive read makes sense

I bet you're still facepalming yourself. I would be.

Jesus Christ - Matthew 28:18-20 said:

"All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

Posted Image

#20    Sean93

Sean93

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

• WRATH

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:40 PM

Sam Harris said it well when comparing Jesus and Mohamed. Jesus was just a hippy really. I agree with that, he has all the right traits of one "peace and love man...woah"
Posted Image

It's fairly evident he looked around at the hellhole the Middle East was (is!) and thought "This has to change."

"Be peaceful, be courteous, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

“To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”

#21    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:20 PM

I think that Jesus was influenced by Socrates.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#22    KrowMax

KrowMax

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 103 posts

• Evil Listen To Evil Ideas And Liars Listen To Lies

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:32 AM

Maybe Jesus got his idea in a book..hehe

:tsu:

Evil Person Listen To Evil Ideas And Liars Listen To Lies

#23    Ellapennella

Ellapennella

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:44 PM

View PostGIDEON MAGE, on 28 November 2012 - 02:17 PM, said:

Good morning, I want to unabashedly promote my articles on Examiner.com.  My most recent one is:  http://www.examiner....sus-of-nazareth
Far from wanting to bash Jesus of Nazareth, I'd like to point out that the source of some of his adorable little comments seems to be Lao Tze, a Chinese Philosopher that lived 500 years earlier.  There are more than a few examples of this.  If anyone is even remootely interested in this topic, I can quote a few more.  One of the Ideas purported in the Tao Te Ching is the Idea that, if you completely merge with the Tao, you can become Immortal.  Lao Tzehimself is honored by some Sects of Taoism as an Immortal.  There are even Legends that he taught Siddharta Gautama, the Buddha.  Was he still around in the firdt century C.E.?  Perhaps he met with Jesus of Nazareth and taught him?  It would explain so much.  After all, Jesus of Nazareth did teach that we should follow the Tao ("The Way").  Discuss among yourselves.
What exactly are you referring to of Christ teachings  in  making these claims ? If Christ is who the bible identifies him as being several hundreds years prior to his birth, the one that Isaiha prophesied of, the one who would give his life for us all , and by doing so  his light  will illuminate this world , just like he said it would, who than is Christ? I'm not suggesting we are Christ .

#24    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,767 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:47 PM

Perhaps it's just wisdom decernable by anyone who thinks/meditates. If its wise, might many wise men come to similar conclusions?

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#25    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:32 PM

View PostSeeker79, on 13 December 2012 - 04:47 PM, said:

Perhaps it's just wisdom decernable by anyone who thinks/meditates. If its wise, might many wise men come to similar conclusions?

True. But he also knew Greek and we nothing about his early life if dont consider sources out of Bible. So he wasnt geographicly far from center of philosophy.
Also Socrates influence is seen in Jesus words. So we might call Jesus post-Socrates philosopher in sense you want to describe his insights?

Edited by the L, 13 December 2012 - 09:33 PM.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.

#26    Ellapennella

Ellapennella

Psychic Spy

• 1,598 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:53 PM

View Postthe L, on 13 December 2012 - 09:32 PM, said:

True. But he also knew Greek and we nothing about his early life if dont consider sources out of Bible. So he wasnt geographicly far from center of philosophy.
Also Socrates influence is seen in Jesus words. So we might call Jesus post-Socrates philosopher in sense you want to describe his insights?
What do mean about his early life? He stayed with the  essene's.  John the baptist was an essene , Jesus stayed with them during a certain course of his life , I think people forget about that .

#27    Ellapennella

Ellapennella

Psychic Spy

• 1,598 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:55 PM

View Postthe L, on 13 December 2012 - 09:32 PM, said:

What stories did he use of Socrates?

#28    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:01 PM

View PostReann, on 18 December 2012 - 01:53 PM, said:

What do mean about his early life? He stayed with the  essene's.  John the baptist was an essene , Jesus stayed with them during a certain course of his life , I think people forget about that .

Who say that he stayed with Essenes?

View PostReann, on 18 December 2012 - 01:55 PM, said:

What stories did he use of Socrates?

Well I will take it for granted that you know what calibar of philosopher was Socrates. I will just say that we divide philosophers on pre-Socrates and post-Socrates.
His influence on human kind is huge. So why wouldnt he influenced Jesus? He knew Greek.  Even if he doesnt Socrates ideas were spreading like arrow trough air.
Socrates claimed that by hurting others we hurt ourselves. That retaliation is wrong. Now Socrates was in war he didnt say nothing about self defence but retaliation.
In a sense he introduced turn another cheek politic.

#29    Ellapennella

Ellapennella

Psychic Spy

• 1,598 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:37 PM

View Postthe L, on 18 December 2012 - 06:01 PM, said:

Who say that he stayed with Essenes?

Well I will take it for granted that you know what calibar of philosopher was Socrates. I will just say that we divide philosophers on pre-Socrates and post-Socrates.
His influence on human kind is huge. So why wouldnt he influenced Jesus? He knew Greek.  Even if he doesnt Socrates ideas were spreading like arrow trough air.
Socrates claimed that by hurting others we hurt ourselves. That retaliation is wrong. Now Socrates was in war he didnt say nothing about self defence but retaliation.
In a sense he introduced turn another cheek politic.
Don't misunderstand me, I think Socrates was great and all, i just know that Christ really didn't need to be influenced by any one man or woman , his wisdom and miracles was so from the nature and will of our Father.
As for the essense , his cousin was one and Jesus spent years with them, i think it was the missing years that people talk of him being in Inidia which he was not. He was with the essene's that followed under John the baptist .

edit: why is there no spell check here on this forum?

Edited by Reann, 21 December 2012 - 02:38 PM.

#30    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 4,203 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:44 PM

edit: why is there no spell check here on this forum?

If you're using Firefox, right-click and highlight "Languages" "English (United States)" and you'll have spellcheck.

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
My credentials: http://www.unexplain...ic=87935&st=225

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users