Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 4 votes

How many of you do and don't believe in God?

• Please log in to reply
201 replies to this topic

#31    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:19 AM

Nevermind. No I dont believe in God.

#32    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 4,985 posts

• I might have been born yesterday but, I've been up all night.

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:20 AM

Like I said, I'll take the window seat. :)

#33    notoverrated

notoverrated

O.O

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

• courage > scooby

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:42 AM

meh not really, but i could be wrong. anything is possible i just choose to not think about it a whole lot.

If your not after beauty, then why are you even drawing breath?

#34    pukin Rainbows24-7

pukin Rainbows24-7

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 146 posts

• questions, questions everywhere

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:30 AM

I believe that there always is a higher power above us all, but i
Question if that is god though

Posted Image

#35    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,925 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:20 AM

View PostLikely Guy, on 15 January 2013 - 07:20 AM, said:

My humble opinion, 'God' doesn't need a Bible and Jesus was a great teacher.

Whether or not either are, or were real, makes no difference to me. The good lessons that were taught however, are valuable to the human experience.
I agree, I am grateful for the Bible there are some very useful teachings on the human condition in there and it does provide a moral compass to many - rightly or wrongly is another debate.

As to Jesus, we couldn't ask for a better Teacher.

Who and what Jesus and God are may not be the same as what people have understood them to be and in this I remain open to new insights spiritually.  I also don't think God belongs to just the Bible or just to Christians or the religious there have been attempts to comprehend this being that is God in many civilisations and all across the world in various beliefs, I do not discount wisdom when I hear it just because it didn't come from the usual sources.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#36    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,973 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:55 AM

I believe that the Creator of all things came to this earth as a man, He taught us how to live a fruitful life loving each other, He was condemned for it, crucified as a sacrifice for our transgressions and  on the third day , according to scripture, He resurrected from the dead.  I firmly believe that if we want to live beyond the span of these mortal bodies and to discover the wonders that were created for us that we have to do nothing more than accept His gift and allow Him to mold our character.  That's what I believe.  
Welcome to UM :)

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#37    Jinxdom

Jinxdom

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

• Education...has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
    -- G.M. Trevelyan

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:05 PM

My humble opinion, 'God' doesn't need a Bible and Jesus was a great teacher.
I like that.

My take on God is that yes I believe in God, but not like God is in the bible or any other religion that has some man or women come down and talk to people. Simply the first building block of the Universe. Even though that my version of God isn't a person, you can still get a message or two from it just by studying anything that is around you. (That's right you can find out the difference between right and wrong just by studying a tree).

Some might say that can be considered God, some might say that it can't be considered God.  Oh well. Lol

#38    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,800 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:38 PM

I am a Pantheist neo-Pagan.  I don't believe in the Abrahamic concept of God. Christians say I worship the creation, ok, that works for me.  In my belief system  the Universe, Nature is god.   Do I believe the Universe has a kind of intellect, I don't know and I don't care.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#39    HerNibs

HerNibs

Grand Duchess Anaesthesia

• 12,208 posts

• Endless repetition does not make something true.

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:32 PM

Atheist here.

Until there is evidence to show the existence of any type of magical deity...I'll be an atheist.

Regarding Jesus?  Dunno.  He may have been a wise rabbi or such but I don't think there was a Jesus that was the son of any deity.

Nibs

Just because it is a mystery to YOU doesn't make it unexplained.

STORM - a must watch - caution, some profanity and may cause you to experience reason.

#40    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,048 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:37 PM

Agnostic, less 'I don't know' and more 'I don't care'.

Edit: Weeeeell, I do care, but since it doesn't have a major impact on my life, I don't bother with it (like srsly, if Santa and the promise of presents couldn't get me to behave, will eternal damnation get me to behave? Nah, I can behave on my own, I'm an adult).

Edited by Hasina, 15 January 2013 - 01:39 PM.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#41    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:03 PM

Why are people saying - Welcome to UM ?   The OP starter joined UM back in 2010 lol   I guess some of you like to throw in a belated welcome  :P

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#42    Erikguswriter

Erikguswriter

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:26 PM

I believe in God!  Religion is a whole different story, but yeah I think we were created intentionally and there is more to the universe than we know

#43    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:29 PM

As to Jesus, we couldn't ask for a better Teacher.

Buddha was arguably a better teacher. But I digress from the OP's original question.

#44    Mystic Crusader

Mystic Crusader

Poltergeist

• 2,213 posts

• "What would you rather be, a bus driver, or a super terrorist?"

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:09 PM

Not the "god" of everyones' imagination.

Thomas Paine wrote in The Age of Reason that “Whenever we read the obscene stories, the voluptuous debaucheries, the cruel and torturous execution, the unrelenting vindictiveness, with which more than half the Bible is filled, it would be consistent that we called it the word of a demon, than the word of God."
Jewish gematria # 629:
The holy bible
Demonic inspiration

#45    J. K.

J. K.

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:19 PM

View PostLikely Guy, on 15 January 2013 - 07:03 AM, said:

1st, welcome to the forums. :)

2nd, I don't believe in either camp. The religious will never truly understand God and the irreligious will never understand the concept.

...I'll take a window seat thank you.

I never realized there was a third choice.  Either you do believe in God, or you don't believe in God, or ... ?

One's reality is another's nightmare.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users