Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

Harmless fun? Horoscopes may be bad for you

astrology horoscope behaviour zodiac

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 39,262 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:35 PM

Astrology may seem like harmless fun - but a new study suggests following your star sign could be bad for you.

Consumers who read their horoscope daily were found to be more likely to exhibit impulsive or indulgent behaviour when their zodiac was negative, the research suggested.

http://www.telegraph...y-suggests.html

Posted Image

#2    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,635 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:55 PM

So if they did not read their horoscopes, then what? Then they will use another thing humans do and have done for thousands of years......superstition.
These studies and their small minded results could actually do more harm.
I do not read the horoscopes, but do know many who do, they are naturally superstitious anyway, and for those who take the horoscopes as gospel as to the fate of their day, have often got other issues too, it is not just based on what mystic meg says.
Take away their horoscope readings for a week, they will still find other things to give them "indications" on whats lucky for them that day/week or not, eg:
"I am going to have a good day because i did not walk under the ladder"
"OMG, a black cat walked infront of my path this morning, something bad is going to happen"

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#3    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,736 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:19 PM

"Horror"scopes don't usually say anything really bad, like you're gonna get hit by a truck and die today, but where do these Astrology forecasters get their material from.You cannot tell whats going to happen from rocks flying around in space.Oh the Moon is in the 3rd quarter so I'm gonna win the Lottery tomorrow, and if you believe that, pigs will surely fly.You have a better chance reading tea leaves in a cup, like my next door very ancient neighbour used to do,the big issue was that she wasn't often wrong....

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#4    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,635 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:35 PM

View Postspud the mackem, on 13 December 2013 - 11:19 PM, said:

"Horror"scopes don't usually say anything really bad, like you're gonna get hit by a truck and die today, but where do these Astrology forecasters get their material from.You cannot tell whats going to happen from rocks flying around in space.Oh the Moon is in the 3rd quarter so I'm gonna win the Lottery tomorrow, and if you believe that, pigs will surely fly.You have a better chance reading tea leaves in a cup, like my next door very ancient neighbour used to do,the big issue was that she wasn't often wrong....
What is quite horrifying is that this is being studied by scientists at a university.
Well who would ever have thought that russell grants chrystsl balls would be a matter for research.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#5    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,736 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:43 PM

No the wonder they are cutting back on Educational Grants when rubbish like this is taken seriously enough to study.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#6    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 14 December 2013 - 05:19 AM

It goes to the psychology behind the regular readings, it's more about how people react it rather than the pseudo-science behind astrology.

Sort of interesting how people can be swayed by a couple of vague line of text when you couple it with a small level of belief.

#7    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,570 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:40 PM

Why should I believe in horoscopes when I have the likes of Benny Hinn to tell me how I should live my life and support his lavious lifestyle?

:passifier:

#8    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:28 PM

View Postpallidin, on 14 December 2013 - 11:40 PM, said:

Why should I believe in horoscopes when I have the likes of Benny Hinn to tell me how I should live my life and support his lavious lifestyle?

:passifier:

Thankfully Mr. Hinn does not speak for most Christians.

Biblically speaking, trying to predict the future from the stars would be an occult practice and forbidden as idolatry: "I (God) will cut off from this place every remnant of Baal, the names of the pagan and the idolatrous priests, those who bow down on the roofs to worship the starry host...." Zephaniah 1:4b, 5a.

I believe astrology was an ancient religion started in Babylon, but could be wrong on this point. Israel was forbidden to adopt their pagan practices, which often they did anyway.

Aside from the sheer nonsense that the stars of zodiac would influence your future, doesn't that neglect the other thousands of the stars in the night sky? Why would they have no influence if that is the case? Seem rather illogical on that point alone.

#9    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 32,501 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 17 December 2013 - 06:34 AM

My little sister used to write horoscopes for her newspaper.

She used it as her own personal network, if she was out of sorts with her other half, she would write in his horoscope "You should bring flowers to a loved one because someone close to you is feeling depressed" or if she wanted me to call she would write "Time to get in touch with a loved one". Stuff like that, she had no insight, and I honestly doubt she was alone, but she might have been in her honesty, to me at least.

I wonder how many people followed her "advice"

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#10    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 17 December 2013 - 07:29 AM

I recall back in the early eighties I was taking night classes for my BSME and one of the courses was psychology. So the Prof, had us all put down our date of birth, time of birth and all that and turn it in to him. OK, so next lecture comes along in three days and he passes out to each of us our own "personalized" horoscopes. He told us to read them then asked us to answer by a show of hands a number of simple questions. Did we think it was accurate? Did it give us in sight? Things like that. After almost all of us answered affirmatively he then told us to swap papers with someone else. All the readings were all identical and yet we all thought they we customized for us. Interesting exercise and insight ful. Many of us share the same fears, traits and insecurities. Then we talked about them.

#11    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,823 posts

• No matter how hard you try, there will always be people who judge and criticize you.

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:23 PM

Considering that ever horoscope you read in papers is so bland and vague that is can actually be applied to anyone at any particular time.

Horoscopes are not "bad" for a person, it is when a person bases their daily lives on it that is bad. In other words it is the person's choices that are bad.

Astrology is just another system of superstitions just like all the other superstitions out there. Used to control and manipulate, create a group of people so utterly psychologically dependent on it that they cannot function without it.

#12    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 9,016 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:36 PM

I used to read my horoscope the day after to see how I did lol

#13    moonshadow60

moonshadow60

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

• "There comes a time when you have to choose between turning the page or just closing the book"... James Wilson

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:25 PM

I gave them up years ago.  Every day they talked about work and what I should do at work.  Not everyone is the same age.  When you are in your 80s, work is the last thing you want to think about.

#14    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 32,501 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 11 February 2014 - 01:09 AM

View Postmoonshadow60, on 03 February 2014 - 09:25 PM, said:

I gave them up years ago.  Every day they talked about work and what I should do at work.  Not everyone is the same age.  When you are in your 80s, work is the last thing you want to think about.

I think more and more people are, which is encouraging I feel.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#15    little_dreamer

little_dreamer

Government Agent

• 3,310 posts

• We did not understand it all, but somehow we survived.

Posted 11 February 2014 - 01:49 AM

My horoscope often promised good things that never happened. I was disappointed.  :(

I am another anonymous face in the crowd. I am just another tiny wheel in the machinery of the world I live in.

Also tagged with astrology, horoscope, behaviour, zodiac

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users