Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Spider bites more uncommon than thought

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,036 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:41 AM

Far from being the stuff of nightmares, spiders are actually more afraid of you than you are of them.

Live Science said:

Most so-called "spider bites" are not actually spider bites, according to researchers and several recent studies. Instead, "spider bites" are more likely to be bites or stings from other arthropods such as fleas, skin reactions to chemicals or infections, said Chris Buddle, an arachnologist at McGill University in Montreal.

Posted Image Read more...

#2    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Aqualish Pirate

• 5,156 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:24 PM

A Spiders 'bark' is definitely worse than its bite.

Most of the time...

Edited by Junior Chubb, 10 July 2013 - 12:24 PM.

#3    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,355 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:55 PM

View PostSaru, on 10 July 2013 - 10:41 AM, said:

Far from being the stuff of nightmares, spiders are actually more afraid of you than you are of them.
That's very consoling :D It still won't stop me running a mile from one though....

Posted Image

#4    madduke

madduke

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:19 PM

It's not the fear of the bite, it's the creepy crawling feeling of a spider skittering across your skin that freaks people out.. *shivers*

#5    Odds

Odds

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

• -Never judge a man till you've walked a mile in his shoes... After that, who cares. Your a mile away and you have his shoes. -

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:57 PM

I've only been bitten twice. Once by a red back, which only made me sick for a day, and another which i don't know what it was. That one sucked, my hand was so swollen i had to cut a ring off.

#6    willowdreams

willowdreams

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

• Never let the facts get in the way of the truth- heard during an episode of 'Lie to Me' by Dr. Cal Lightman

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:01 PM

View Postmadduke, on 10 July 2013 - 03:19 PM, said:

It's not the fear of the bite, it's the creepy crawling feeling of a spider skittering across your skin that freaks people out.. *shivers*

thank you for putting that image in my mind!
*looks around... and smiles as i see NO spiders*

Posted Image

#7    tipsy_munchkin

tipsy_munchkin

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

• We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.
    Plato

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:45 PM

View Postwillowdreams, on 10 July 2013 - 04:01 PM, said:

You could do with one to eat that little bug in your signature. :whistle:

*     I'm pink therefore i'm spam     *

#8    Odds

Odds

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

• -Never judge a man till you've walked a mile in his shoes... After that, who cares. Your a mile away and you have his shoes. -

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:04 PM

View Postwillowdreams, on 10 July 2013 - 04:01 PM, said:

Oh, but it's the ones you can't see... :P

~Today's mighty Oak is just yesterdays nut that held it's ground~

#9    willowdreams

willowdreams

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

• Never let the facts get in the way of the truth- heard during an episode of 'Lie to Me' by Dr. Cal Lightman

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:14 PM

View PostOdds, on 10 July 2013 - 05:04 PM, said:

Oh, but it's the ones you can't see... :P

i have cats... they will protect me.. yes yes yes they will!

Posted Image

#10    MissJuju

MissJuju

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 14 posts

• Smile, it's free therapy!

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:04 PM

Some of you are lucky that you can even run from a spider! I just freeze out of complete terror. ;/

#11    Odds

Odds

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:09 PM

I think cats and spiders are in cohorts, evil little things they are, lol.I nameed my kitten 'Kaos', it may not be spelt the same as chaos, but damn does it destroy everything it goes near.

#12    Odds

Odds

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:14 PM

View Postbleakatheart, on 10 July 2013 - 10:04 PM, said:

Some of you are lucky that you can even run from a spider! I just freeze out of complete terror. ;/

Head to Australia then, you'll be fine *ahem* :P

#13    MissJuju

MissJuju

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 14 posts

• Smile, it's free therapy!

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:30 AM

View PostOdds, on 10 July 2013 - 10:14 PM, said:

Head to Australia then, you'll be fine *ahem* :P

Funnily enough I have thought about moving to Australia, and that's the one thing stopping me. I'm that sad haha. :P

#14    JMPD1

JMPD1

Child of the Universe

• 6,022 posts

• you want to know the answer? Hell, I'm still working on the question!

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:51 AM

Who was it that said:

" We have nothing to fear, but fear itself....... and spiders. "

:yes:

Quote of the Year 2006: HAY! I did more then just say I wanna be ina a man sammich! - SC

You have the right to remain silent.  You might want to think about exercising that right more often

Not Another Moment Lost To Seizures

#15    willowdreams

willowdreams

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:55 AM

almost 12 yrs ago I got this kitten, barely 2 1/2 weeks old, I had to feed him by bottle, use warm cloth on bottom so he could go.. course I had no idea he was a he, his face looked girly to me, so I named him sophia.. learned later when he developed balls that he was a she, anyways..

as he grew, when he was roundabout 6 wks old, if it moved, he chased it. If it crawled, he chased it then tortured it and ate it.

I let him be, it is the way of a cat, right? Besides we had two dogs too, a rotty-husky mix and a lab husky mix, they actually would go running outside and catch things and bring em home.. possums were worse, but eventually the dogs stopped

Again, I digress.

We had a wet wet winter and spring, and spiders hatched, our tub would always have a few. Sophia had issues with the tub, he could jump as well as any cat, but the tub even when dry is not something he could dig claws into, so he usually avoided the tub. Especially since once he jumped and missed the side and my daughter had just drawn a bubble bath... he smelled very very floral for a while.

I woke up one moring, and you know how it is, you wake.. you must pee.. so off to the bathroom, Sophia popped out of the tun, and did that full mouth mewling thing, I ignored it being half asleep.. the sink was right by the toilet, so he leaped on it and looked me in the eye, he loves head bopping, he would look at whoever is sitting on the toilet, and we are expected to butt his forhead with ours.. he still loves htat.

I turned to him and leaned in, he did that full mouth mewly thing, i looked at his mouth.. it was closed... but on eithr side of his 'mouth' was these legs, and they were moving...

I just sat there screaming, he looked at me like i was insane.. my roommate ran in thinking osmething was wrong, sophia looked at her, she looked at him.. saw the legs and ran out of the room... he just mewled again, jumped down and ran off mewling to the dogs...

lord only knows what he was saying to the dogs about our reacting to his prisoner.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users