Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Death Omens

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16    mcrguy18

mcrguy18

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 76 posts

• Ghost, Monsters and Demons i get but people are just crazy.

Posted 10 June 2011 - 08:50 AM

i've death omen legend about seeing 3 black crows on a powerline in a row anybody else heard this one?

#17    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwķt éoredmęcg

• 4,799 posts

• Hige sceal že heardra, heorte že cenre, mod sceal že mare, že ure męgen lytlaš.

Posted 10 June 2011 - 08:08 PM

View Postmcrguy18, on 10 June 2011 - 08:50 AM, said:

i've death omen legend about seeing 3 black crows on a powerline in a row anybody else heard this one?

The Celts believed that Crow was an omen of death and conflict. She was associated with death transitions. Another belief was that the birds were faeries who shape-shifted to cause troubles. Magickal qualities included bringing knowledge, shape-shifting, eloquence, prophecy, boldness, skill, knowledge, cunning, trickery and thievery. In the Middle Ages, people believed that sorcerers and witches used the symbol of Crow’s foot to cast death spells.

In most of England, seeing a solitary crow meant anger, but in Northamptonshire, it meant ill fortune. Crow, cawing in a hoarse voice, meant bad weather. A death omen was a crow cawing thrice as it flew over a house. The Irish believed that Crow flocking in trees, but not nesting were souls from Purgatory. Finding a dead crow was a sign of good fortune. Russians believed that witches took the shape of Crow.

The collective name for a group of crows is a 'murder'

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#18    Blackwhite

Blackwhite

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

• I am minuspeptic, frasmotic, even compunctuous to have caused you such pericabobulations.

Posted 12 June 2011 - 06:21 PM

There are many places in this Spectred Isle of ours which have their harbingers of doom.

Posted Image
Arlie Castle

In Arlie Castle in Scotland the harbinger of doom takes the form of a ram that walks around the gardens prior to disaster. A drumming sound is also reported to herald a death in the family.

At Arundel Castle in Sussex a ghostly small white bird is seen fluttering around the windows of the castle before the death of a resident of the castle and its appearance is regarded as an omen that tragedy will strike someone connected to the castle.

At Brodick Castle on the Isle of Arran in Scotland a White Deer is seen in the grounds of the castle whenever a chief of the Hamilton clan is close to death. The white deer appeared twice in the twentieth century, both times coinciding with the death of the head of the Hamilton Family.

At Cardiff Castle in Wales a horse drawn coach is heard when a member of the Hastings family is about to die at the castle. It was last heard by John Boyle, the night his cousin the Marquis of Hastings died.

Posted Image
Leeds Castle

At Leeds Castle in Kent, prior to a death or grave misfortune the shuck (a black dog) apprears. This shuck is an ill omen only for those living at the castle.

At Noltland Castle on the Orkney Isles in Scotland forthcoming deaths at the castle are announced by the howls of a large black dog.

At Nottingham Castle in Nottingham the gallery is haunted by the ghost of the Countess of Nottingham. She appears to people who will die within a year.

At Old Wardour Castle in Wardour, Wiltshire, the Arundell family are haunted by ghostly white owls, which appear prior to a death in the family.

Posted Image
Castle Stalker

At Castle Stalker overlooking Loch Linnhe in Argyll, an orb of brilliant light hovers over the castle prior to a death of a Stewart chieftain.

At Warwick Castle in Warwick the phantom 'Dun Cow of Warwick' appears at the castle a few weeks before a death in the family.

At Cortachy Castle in Kirriemuir, Angus, caught having an affair with the wife of the castle's owner, a drummer was placed in his own drum and rolled out from a tower. On the verge of dying he cursed all future generations who would live at the castle. His ghostly drum can be heard beating before a death in the family.

Posted Image
Caerphilly Castle

At mighty Caerphilly Castle at Caerphilly, Wales the de Clare family were haunted by a Gwrach y Rhibyn (Welsh for "Witch of Rhibyn), warning them of an imminent death in the family. Since they moved away, the ghost is seen - drifting towards the castle.  Most often the Gwrach y Rhibyn will wail and shriek in Welsh "Fy ngŵr, fy ngŵr!" (My husband! My husband!) or "Fy mhlentyn, fy mhlentyn bach!" (My child! My little child!), though sometimes she will assume a male's voice and cry "Fy ngwraig! Fy ngwraig!" (My wife! My wife!). It disappears once it reaches the ruins.

Posted Image
Gwrach y Rhibyn

http://www.castlesan...SelectType=Omen

Edited by Blackwhite, 12 June 2011 - 06:29 PM.

#19    Set the Fallen

Set the Fallen

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 12:47 AM

... funny...
Each time I see black birds, lots of them, I always win something.
Death on others and joy for me? Might be so, I only believe in luck though and nothing else. Seeing death before it happens is most unlikely. :ph34r:

#20    Ghostdancer

Ghostdancer

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 01:40 AM

View PostH I M, on 26 May 2011 - 06:09 PM, said:

People around here believe that when a big black moth enters your home, it is an omen of death.

This happened a few years ago. I was in my living room when I heard thumping at the front door. When I opened it I noticed a very large moth that landed on the door; biggest one I had ever seen. I think it was nearly the size of my hand. I picked it up and took it to my sister's just next door to show her and then put it on a tree trunk. But no death occured.

And it was a very short time later when I saw a post on this same subject here on this forum.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

#21    0011235813

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • Location:Manchester, England,Earth, the milky way,the multiverse.

• "I am neither skeptic nor believer"-0011235813

Posted 18 June 2011 - 09:05 PM

perhaps birds have some connection with death? Maybe It has something to do with quantum intangalation?
just speculating.

If I am posting here..... You do not troll!
0011235813... the troll slayer.

#22    checkunderyourbed

checkunderyourbed

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 11:16 AM

View Postrashore, on 22 May 2011 - 06:43 PM, said:

There's a death omen about birds flying/crashing into your window.. also if one flies into your house. I think it's usually black birds, but I've heard it applied to out of season birds too.

Wow I never knew about that. My aunt passed away Last Sunday, we got the phone call (from the family members there) to go see her, at 5 in the morning. A magpie flew into the car (and died) as were driving there. By the time we got to the hospital she was already dead. I'm sure it was just a coincidence but it makes you think.

#23    SFluffy

SFluffy

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 05:06 AM

Doppelgängers, a double of a person, is suppose to mean death if it was seen by the person of whom it was the double and misfortune if a friend or relative seen the double. I don't fully accept it but it is German and I'm more than 3/4 German.

#24    Sobeitis

Sobeitis

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:09 AM

I am relieved to find conversation on this subject. My bird omens started at age 18. Birds would fly into my windshield and something bad would follow in the next few days. Now they come in different ways depending on either the severity of the incident or more importantly how greatly I may be personally affected. In the case of death, a bird will make its presence known over usually week period, two or three times. I also have begun to notice that their presence may be peaceful or not, and close or far. For example when my grandmother and when my grandfather passed ( separate years) they even came into my dreams. It is not easy to find anyone to talk to about this without sounding crazy, but the first time I ever did was when I got a phone call from my Mother saying a bird must have came into her house through the chimney and she was having difficulty getting it out of her house. Within a month her roommate was found to be terminally ill. Now I have a daughter and she has a white wolf that comes into her room when she is sleeping when someone is going to pass! When she was younger I just thought she was having a bad dream, but she would be very insistent that it was there. Then I began to notice a pattern with her too?

#25    Super-Fly

Super-Fly

Caporegime.

• 1,301 posts

• The Loonies Are Running
    The Asylum!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:34 PM

I havent got any personally, interesting reading what other think though..

Nice post OP.

Super-Fly!!3

TrueStory.

#26    HollyDolly

HollyDolly

Psychic Spy

• 1,300 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:45 PM

I may have told this before.My late father would have this dream, in which he would hear this woman's voice singing.It was very beautiful,and he may have told me what the song was, but I have forgotten it long ago,as he died in 1996. Where ever he heard this voice, he knew someone in the family would die. Except for my mother.She had a stroke in 1980, and was paralyzied on her left side.When momma died in 1982, daddy didn't dream of the singer.Instead he told us that he had a dream with momma in it.He said to her,"Emma you're walking! to which she replied,"Yes Fred, I'm better now." Daddy said they walked around  in a beautiful garden and he saw people there, some of whom he knew,and they talked to the people there.This was the only time he didn't dream of the singer. His mother used to dream of a room that had a vase with flowers on a table.Her Aunt Louise, who was psychic  and could read tea leaves, used to dream she was back in the old country, in Riga,latvia.She would see a horse drawn hearse coming down the street and as it got closer, see could see a coffin in it. Whenever she had this dream, someone in the family would pass on.

#27    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,431 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:34 PM

Three or Four white lights in corners of a room near the ceiling,is the Omen our family dont like..when ever that happens its doom and gloom for someone near.In the end we all have to go thru the same gate,and if you wake up the next morning its a bonus.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#28    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:22 AM

YI've had birds crash into the house,with no deaths,but,one night ,a bird ,or something,landed on the airconditioner next to me bed. Sounded like a bird,and it frigging pecked on the window,tap tap tap. What's odd about this is,it was about 2am. Pitch black out. I lifted the blinds,and nothing was there.
My most beloved cat died early the next morning,very suddenly .
I bottle fed her. She was like a child to me.
Moths ,for me,show up after someone has died,and its the soul,saying its last goodbye to you. If you are unaware the person has died ,it can be an omen I guess,but i see them just after learning someone has died. Like I imexplicably have a moth in the house.
Owls to me,represent wisom and protection .When i see an owl,a white one especially ,I know I am being protected somehow.
I know Sioux Indians believe owls are omens of death. Usually not a good death.

As for crows,I had been told each number you might see,has meaning. Like seeing one on a line means one thing,two another. I know some of the numbers are not good omens,but never heard of one for death.

Then,the classic,a clock stopping predicts a coming death.

Edited by Simbi Laveau, 20 July 2012 - 03:27 AM.

Miss me?

#29    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,627 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:52 PM

Sneeze 3 times before breakfast and you'll hear of a death in the family.  Wash clothes on New Years Day and you're washing for the dead.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#30    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwķt éoredmęcg

• 4,799 posts

• Hige sceal že heardra, heorte že cenre, mod sceal že mare, že ure męgen lytlaš.

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:15 PM

An owl seen in daylight was said to have presaged someone's death, likewise a persons photograph falling from the wall. Sparrows were thought to carry the souls of the dead and therefore it's bad luck to kill one.

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users