Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

why do people believe dinosaurs exist

ali smack

I don't understand how people can believe in them existing. it's just not likely at all. the food they'd have to eat would be imense, how would they survive exinction, the atmosphere and climate is totally different. its just not possible. but people still inisist on seeing them.

why?

• Like 1

If you want to be pedantic, you could argually that dinosaurs do exist today. Birds are descended from feathered theropod dinosaurs so cladistically they could be considered dinosaurs. So people see dinosaurs everyday.

Edited by Archimedes
  • Like 8

Well..there is this inconvenient thing called "fossils" and then you have the whole 'carbon dating' and all that so the physical evidence speaks for itself.

And considering that most of the dinosaurs were lizards or partial lizards meant that they did not need to eat as often as mammals PLUS many were probably opportunistic feeders or carrion eaters.

Of course there are also the herbivores too.

The same questions can be asked of about any animal too..think of primates..most of them eat all day long yet there always seems to be enough for the trees and bushes to replenish. How about whales or elephants? They're huge, eat alot yet still exist.

Of course if you happen to be a Christian who believes the Earth is only 5000 years old and all the fossils are fakes planted by satan and/or god to fool us then this discussion is meaningless.

However many creatures did NOT survive as the Earth's climate and geology changed. Plants had to adapt as well..some developed tougher leaves to withstand different conditions which meant that animals had to either adapt to eating tougher fibers or die..which some did. Some plants died out too.

All life evolves; adapting to an ever-changing world. Some simply cannot adapt fast enough or well enough to survive.

Edited by Ryu
  • Like 3

I don't understand how people can believe in them existing. it's just not likely at all. the food they'd have to eat would be imense, how would they survive exinction, the atmosphere and climate is totally different. its just not possible. but people still inisist on seeing them.

why?

I think the basic idea is like this. Alligators have remained since then relatively unchanged as a species, except for growing smaller. Perhaps the sauropods went through a similar process.

• Like 1

When there is a plethora of evidence supporting something then it is hardly a mere supposition or fable.

Life has a way of perpetuating even though it makes no sense to us.

There are underwater, volcanic vents spewing out scalding hot waters, much of which is acidic too yet there is a whole new biosphere surrounding these things. Life adapts...even if it is just a tiny amount, it is enough to ensure survival and allow a species to branch off and evolve into others variations....

Adapt or die. That is the one and only truth to life...equivalent exchange, if you will.

• Like 4

why?

I know what you mean. Like for instance some saying Loch Ness monster is a plesiosaur. Apart from media and their desire for money, I think those who believe this don't have to many critical faculties, or any brains at all.

• Like 1

why?

I honestly have a trouble believing dinosaurs ever existed! Some of those things were as big as a house. How could they move around to eat enough food? How could they breathe? What heart could keep that much blood flowing through those gigantic bodies? I don't even want to think about how they mated.

I saw a plasticized corpse of a giraffe at a Body Worlds exhibit here and the scale of the innards of even that relatively small creature was amazing. The diaphragm looked like a small trampoline.

• Like 1

So are the dinosaurs at the natural history museum all a farce? Are the fossils all a farce?

Dinosaurs were on this planet far longer than humans have been.

• Like 3

I honestly have a trouble believing dinosaurs ever existed! Some of those things were as big as a house. How could they move around to eat enough food? How could they breathe? What heart could keep that much blood flowing through those gigantic bodies? I don't even want to think about how they mated.

Hmm do you believe in whales then if you do how big is the heart of a blue whale.
  • Like 2

I saw a plasticized corpse of a giraffe at a Body Worlds exhibit here and the scale of the innards of even that relatively small creature was amazing. The diaphragm looked like a small trampoline.

Hmm do you believe in whales then if you do how big is the heart of a blue whale.

The heart of a blue whale weighs about 1,300 lbs and the thoracic artery has an estimated diameter of 9 inches. The largest accurately weighed blue whale was 177 metric tons. The largest sauropod, Argentinosaurus, is estimated around 60-88 metric tons. While being aquatic certainly helps the whale in supporting its mass, I doubt that it helps in pumping the blood throughout its body or respiration.

Given a majority of the dinosaurs were considerably smaller in weight, and recent studies suggest that weights have been over estimated, it would not be impossible for such a creature of half or even smaller in weight to have lived.

That being said, I think the OP was referring to surviving dinosaurs alive today, not in regards to them having lived in the past.

• Like 8

Well..there is this inconvenient thing called "fossils" and then you have the whole 'carbon dating' and all that so the physical evidence speaks for itself.

And considering that most of the dinosaurs were lizards or partial lizards meant that they did not need to eat as often as mammals PLUS many were probably opportunistic feeders or carrion eaters.

Of course there are also the herbivores too.

The same questions can be asked of about any animal too..think of primates..most of them eat all day long yet there always seems to be enough for the trees and bushes to replenish. How about whales or elephants? They're huge, eat alot yet still exist.

Of course if you happen to be a Christian who believes the Earth is only 5000 years old and all the fossils are fakes planted by satan and/or god to fool us then this discussion is meaningless.

However many creatures did NOT survive as the Earth's climate and geology changed. Plants had to adapt as well..some developed tougher leaves to withstand different conditions which meant that animals had to either adapt to eating tougher fibers or die..which some did. Some plants died out too.

All life evolves; adapting to an ever-changing world. Some simply cannot adapt fast enough or well enough to survive.

Lizards don't need to a lot, because they're cold blooded. They now think some of the dinos were blooded. If they were they would need to like mammals.

• Like 1

Guest Nathan DiYorio

It's easy to get the food you need in a world where everything is as big as a car.

But you're right. In the modern world, where things are much smaller, a dinosaur-sized creature probably could not survive outside of the water without an extremely low metabolic rate.

Wow. What an incredibly ignorant thing to say.

• Like 1

Not really, people on this very forum have said that fossils are tricks by Satan.

• Like 6

I think that living dinosaurs are extremely unlikely. It's been more than 65 million years since the extinction of the dinosaurs. I'd think they would've evolved into something, died out, been discovered, etc. Also, I'm assuming that Earth has changed in many ways since the reign of the dinosaurs. How would they cope with the new environment? Would it have the same food they would need? The same prey/predators? The geography and climate? And the list goes on.

And if it was a large dinosaur, it would be very easy to discover. Not only due to its size, but think about the waste it would leave behind, the tracks, the signs of its habitat, its feeding grounds, etc. And this is just for one of these large creatures. If there were more for a breeding population, then take all that and multiply it by however many creatures you need to have a stable population. For the small dinosaurs, I would believe that it would still leave behind evidence of its existence. And I refer to reasons I have stated in the first paragraph.

I don't think we want a real-life Jurassic Park incident happening anyways.

• Like 1

Are... are you serious?

Oops..maybe I should have said SOME christians.

Oops..maybe I should have said SOME christians.

Actually a more accurate phrase would have been "a very small percentage of Christians".

• Like 1

I don't think the OP is arguing that dinosaurs never existed, merely that modern cryptozoology claims of big-ass dinosaurs in remote areas of Africa or South America are very silly and unlikely to be true.

Also, dinosaur fossils aren't dated using carbon dating. They're WAY too old for that method. Carbon dating is only accurate up to about 50,000 years. Other radiometric dating methods like K-Ar are used for fossils.

• Like 2

I don't think the OP is arguing that dinosaurs never existed, merely that modern cryptozoology claims of big-ass dinosaurs in remote areas of Africa or South America are very silly and unlikely to be true.

Also, dinosaur fossils aren't dated using carbon dating. They're WAY too old for that method. Carbon dating is only accurate up to about 50,000 years. Other radiometric dating methods like K-Ar are used for fossils.

Radiocarbon dating is quit accurate. Its the messure of how radiation decays