Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

UKers Why the tiny refrigerators?

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#46    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 9,016 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:07 AM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 20 December 2012 - 10:49 PM, said:

Hummus is yummy :yes:  
Tofu not so much :no:
Both can have their share of fat and calories though.

But I agree, frig size could be responsible for girth size, but it certainly isn't always the case.
For Americans it's often what we eat outside our homes-- fast foods,
love hummus - hate tofu

i have a big fridge because my partner thinks everyone should be able to stockpile food for no apparent reason. i never ever let him shop.

#47    EllJay

EllJay

Poltergeist

• 2,666 posts

• Today We Are Creating Tomorrow's Yesterday

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:07 AM

View PostJGirl, on 21 December 2012 - 01:07 AM, said:

love hummus - hate tofu

i have a big fridge because my partner thinks everyone should be able to stockpile food for no apparent reason. i never ever let him shop.

He is a DD-prepper in disguise.
Did he buy his twelfth rifle at WalMart yesterday? Does he make you do odd middle of the night evacuation drills? Is his only radio channel welded to either Alex Jones or Rush Limbaugh?
Does he teach you his secret code-langaue, and show you his alternative escape-route and rendezvous point at a safe.house?
DD-preppers stock food that will last 6 football-team 975438 days and nights.

"Opinions are like a**holes, everyone seems to have one" - Dirty Harry

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand... "

"I have a black belt in Feng Shui, the subtle martial art. I go home to you and move a lamp and a chair... twelve years later you lay there on the floor with broken kneecaps and destitute."

#48    ciriuslea

ciriuslea

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

• CHAMP20NS

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:50 PM

View PostClyde the Glyde, on 20 December 2012 - 08:25 PM, said:

Do you folks also have to buy a license to own / watch television ?   Or is that just a silly joke that I'd heard ?

Nope that's true, its £145 a year and when you buy a TV the store/place you purchase from are obliged to inform the TV license comp, you even need one for owning any equipment that can receive live TV ie internet etc etc...but proving you watch TV online is another issue.

#49    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Facebook Fiend

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

• Your blood's worth bottling!

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:52 PM

We've just been to Iceland's where mum's the word.
So we've got a substantial amount of party food.
If we lay a buffet on any upcoming guests wil be our friends for life.
I just love the storage capacity in the refrigerator.
I'm just hoping there's enough space in my stomach if the guests postpone suddenly.
Btw the British TV license is a bit of a catch 22 when it concerns the Beeb.

Swindon Town:  Division Two Champions 2011-12.
Proud member of Macdonald's Red Army since 1989.
Up the Robins!

#50    little_dreamer

little_dreamer

Government Agent

• 3,299 posts

• We did not understand it all, but somehow we survived.

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:55 PM

Big fridges are overrated.  The fridge is where things go bad.  I'm more likely to trust food in the freezer or the pantry.

A big fridge seems like an invitation to have food hidden in the back behind other food, slowly spoiling.

I am another anonymous face in the crowd. I am just another tiny wheel in the machinery of the world I live in.

#51    TheLastLazyGun

TheLastLazyGun

Psychic Spy

• 1,144 posts
  • Location:The edge of the West Pennine Moors, Northern England

Posted 25 December 2012 - 04:23 PM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 20 December 2012 - 02:27 AM, said:

Hello!
THIS IS NOT A DIG! I am just very curious.

I watch a lot of British TV and I am always so amazed at the small to tiny refrigerators I see in your homes. Some are about the size of the tiny ones we had in our dorm rooms in college.

We Americans can't seem to live without our big fat refrigerators and still never have enough room!

I'd love to do with less, but how do you do it?

Have any of you lived in NA with fat frig and also overseas with a tiny one? What is the secret?

Do you shop daily? Where do you find the time?

We love our cold beverages which take up a lot of room in our refrigerators. Do you not share our obsession? Maybe that is the key.

On one of my British TV shows they did a complete "Americanized" remodel of their kitchen, yet their frig was still half the size or less of a typical American one.

Are you limited on size for some reason?

Do you have separate freezers? It seems some of your homes do not even have a freezer compartment on the frig.

Thanks
QC

You have to remember that to British eyes, everything in America is big.  Your cars, fridges, houses, skylines.  Even your people are big.

Our small refrigerators are more than big enough.  Don't forget, we also have kitchens cupboards packed with food, too.

#52    MissMelsWell

MissMelsWell

Cosmic Baker

• 13,254 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 05:14 PM

My "big" fridge (about 20cu) gave up the ghost about 5 months ago and Ive been too lazy and cheap to buy a new one. LOL. Im using a small under the counter fridge I dragged home from work. I shop pretty much every day, and you know, it' actually OK. It's just big enough to hold some beverages condiments, and the previous days leftovers which we always take to work with us for lunch.

I consider myself "in training" for moving to a small condo/apartment where it's likely I won't have a full sized fridge anways due to a lack of space. haha.

"It's time for the American people to stand up and shrug off the shackles of our government at TSA at the airport"  Ron Paul

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

#53    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Facebook Fiend

• 1,113 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 09:15 PM

View PostTheLastLazyGun, on 25 December 2012 - 04:23 PM, said:

You have to remember that to British eyes, everything in America is big.  Your cars, fridges, houses, skylines.  Even your people are big.

Our small refrigerators are more than big enough.  Don't forget, we also have kitchens cupboards packed with food, too.
The doll houses are super-sized as well!

Up the Robins!

#54    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,450 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:03 AM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 20 December 2012 - 03:59 AM, said:

Thanks for the reply! This really intrigues me.

Yes, I agree, space plus maybe "the way it's always been" does account for the small refrigerators, but I wonder "How they do it?"

There are only 3 living in our home now and our fat frig still gets overcrowded all the time.

Right now my frig contains pretty standard American refrigerator fare:
1 gallon of milk
2 half gallons of orange juice
2 twelve packs of canned soda pop
2 pounds of butter
3 mustard, 1 ketchup, 2 mayo jars, 4 salad dressing bottles,
1 shelf of leftovers
1 drawer of cheese and lunchmeats
2 drawers of vegetables
2 dozen eggs
10 bottles of water
3 jars of jelly
a few miscellaneous condiments: pickles, hot sauce, Worcestershire, soy sauce, Tajini,
a roast for tomorrow
a whole chicken for this week
some miscellaneous items in plastic containers

The door compartments are crammed full and the shelves have little space left.

UKers what is usually in your small refrigerators? What on my frig list would you never have in yours?

Do you drink most beverages at room temperature? Eat out a lot? Drink a lot of tap water?

Thanks
Can I come over to eat?

#55    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,450 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:10 AM

You'll not find a tiny refrigerator anywhere around here not even in a mobile home or tiny apartment.  The only place they use them is in the dorm, office, RV or for beer.  I use to have a little refrigerator but it was for cold drinks to keep us from opening the door of the big one so much.

My 18 cubic foot refrigerator and deep freeze is full but I still can't find what I want to eat.

#56    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,491 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:21 AM

Corner shops.  No need to stock up when you can buy fresh just five mins walk away.

#57    DKO

DKO

Ω is Futile.

• 1,837 posts

• When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:27 AM

I know my boss, who moved here from England said he had to up-size a lot of his items. Larger fridge, car, furniture. He said he was used to trying to make everything compact and snug. Even when he bought his first house here, he wanted to make a storage area up in the roof-space, but found he had nothing to store up there, he found plenty of room in the house.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.

#58    MissMelsWell

MissMelsWell

Cosmic Baker

• 13,254 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:10 AM

View PostHilander, on 26 December 2012 - 02:10 AM, said:

You'll not find a tiny refrigerator anywhere around here not even in a mobile home or tiny apartment.  The only place they use them is in the dorm, office, RV or for beer.  I use to have a little refrigerator but it was for cold drinks to keep us from opening the door of the big one so much.

My 18 cubic foot refrigerator and deep freeze is full but I still can't find what I want to eat.

In big cities and high density neighborhoods where apartments and condos are small you'll find them for sure. I see them in Seattle apartments and condos a lot.

"It's time for the American people to stand up and shrug off the shackles of our government at TSA at the airport"  Ron Paul

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

#59    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Facebook Fiend

• 1,113 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:56 PM

View PostEldorado, on 26 December 2012 - 02:21 AM, said:

Corner shops.  No need to stock up when you can buy fresh just five mins walk away.
And they open on Christmas day!

Up the Robins!

#60    tipsy_munchkin

tipsy_munchkin

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

• We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.
    Plato

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:03 PM

View PostMedium Brown, on 26 December 2012 - 04:56 PM, said:

And they open on Christmas day!

yep a lot of them are. We have two near us that always are. Though i get my fresh from a butcher/grocer at the end of the st. whos not open bank holidays and Sundays. I never like to store fresh more than three days in advance. with no car its far more convenient as the supermarkets often work out more expensive if you can't take advantage of things like but one get one free.

*     I'm pink therefore i'm spam     *

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users