Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

1m for solving world's biggest problem

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 9,529 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:01 PM

David Cameron announces £1m prize for solving world's biggest problem.....

But the UK government doesn't know what the problem is yet. (sounds about right to me then)

Speaking at the G8 Innovation Conference in London today, Cameron highlighted the importance of continuing to invest in innovation during tough economic times.

“What the world needs most of all right now is growth, and that growth in my view is going to come from small businesses and start-up businesses, more than from the big existing traditional businesses, so the whole agenda of innovation and entrepreneurship is absolutely vital,” he said.

http://news.techworl...iggest-problem/

personally, if it solves the worlds biggest problem.... a million pounds is a terrible offer

Edited by seeder, 19 June 2013 - 05:04 PM.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#2    Reann

Reann

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:12 PM

View Postseeder, on 19 June 2013 - 05:01 PM, said:

“What the world needs most of all right now is growth, and that growth in my view is going to come from small businesses and start-up businesses, more than from the big existing traditional businesses, so the whole agenda of innovation and entrepreneurship is absolutely vital,” he said.

Hi Seeder....little political message in this video . The kid talking is adorable....I wish we all were that kind towards one another. i don't know if things are going to get better soon , for the global world as you may think they are, i hope so though....

Edited by Reann, 19 June 2013 - 05:15 PM.

#3    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:23 PM

View Postseeder, on 19 June 2013 - 05:01 PM, said:

David Cameron announces £1m prize for solving world's biggest problem.....

“What the world needs most of all right now is growth, .

That's the biggest problem right there. Politicians, developers, investors all believe that there are NO limits to growth. If the population and GDP is not growing, they believe that's a big problem.

"The earth is finite. Its ability to absorb wastes and destructive effluent is finite. Its ability to provide food and energy is finite. Its ability to provide for growing numbers of people is finite. And we are fast approaching many of the earth's limits."

http://www.ucsusa.or...scientists.html

The solution? Stop promoting population growth with financial incentives and subsidies. I await payment of £1m.

#4    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 9,529 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:24 PM

Hi Rean!!

Well, I think 'one' of the worlds biggest problems is the US govt, setting civil wars up and overthrowing over govts, acting like the worlds police!  But thats a problem no average Joe can solve

It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#5    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:37 PM

View Postseeder, on 19 June 2013 - 05:24 PM, said:

Hi Rean!!

Well, I think 'one' of the worlds biggest problems is the US govt, setting civil wars up and overthrowing over govts, acting like the worlds police!  But thats a problem no average Joe can solve

But there will always be nations seeking to expand there influence. Historically, it's called the Balance of Power, or sometimes The Great Game. You may as well wish that the sky was green.

#6    Reann

Reann

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:48 PM

View Postseeder, on 19 June 2013 - 05:24 PM, said:

Hi Rean!!

Seeder Hi !!!
I don't even feel comfortable sharing my thoughts online anymore about the government. They scare me.

#7    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 9,529 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:56 PM

View PostReann, on 19 June 2013 - 05:48 PM, said:

Seeder Hi !!!
I don't even feel comfortable sharing my thoughts online anymore about the government. They scare me.

Yes well as long as we dont let it sink down to the CT'ists levels we shall be OK, this one is about solving problems, not worrying ourselves wondering what freedoms the govts are taking or blowing up their own people!

Anyway on a lighter note, the bumble bee's worry me. Without them, many fruits and veg cannot grow,

see this list of stuff bee's ensure will grow and produce food
http://en.wikipedia....linated_by_bees

and a graphic

What your supermarket will look like if bees die out: Empty shelves, scant produce options

full story here
http://www.dailymail...ce-options.html

so world peace will be a great thing, but feeding that peaceful world may prove impossible unless somethings done about the bees

Edited by seeder, 19 June 2013 - 06:00 PM.

#8    Reann

Reann

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:09 PM

I love when i see bee's in my garden....in my fruit tree's , flowers too..Love to see bee's in general , anywhere, it's  a good sign....I worry about them...

#9    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,429 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:13 PM

If we told them what the worlds biggest problem is,they wouldn't take any notice,but they would be putting their own ideas forward to get that £1 million

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#10    Black Red Devil

Black Red Devil

Mean as Hell

• 2,355 posts

• I would if I could
    But I can't, so I won't

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:48 PM

Politicians are the worlds biggest problem.  There ya go, problem resolved!

He can send the £1m prize to UM's postal address, I'll share it with my "friends". :santa:

We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell

- Oscar Wilde

#11    WhyDontYouBeliEveMe

WhyDontYouBeliEveMe

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

• When i'm right,no one remembers!
    When i'm wrong no one forgets !

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:39 PM

they should just start ww3 .. kill of 90% of the world population .   without using chemical weaponry or nukes !       those who survives unites ,rebuilt,  all the problems solved :D and when the earth is overpopulated again .. ww4 .   will happen .   same story . . again and again ! till we have the technology to go into outer space and colonize other species and take everything from them clean up their planets resource , and move forward to the next :D

#12    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,605 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:42 AM

The world's biggest problem is Hate.

We hate others and treat them with contempt.  We hate ourselves and treat ourselves poorly with our choices.  The rich hate the poor because they cost them money, the poor hate the rich because they have and keep all the money while others starve and freeze, the religious hate those that don't believe what they believe, the non religious hate those who don't share the same fashion sense or social graces as them, it goes on an on.

The worst is that what we hate we also very often fear and if you think that through it leads to death and war.

I have a workmate that loves to go on about how she just "can't abide this person" or just "can't take to that person" .  The most recent target of this lady in her 50's who should surely have learned some patience and grace by now,  was a young lass new to us in her early 20's - she doesn't even know the girl but there she is passing round her hatred and influencing others opinions about her, I see this or some version of it every day and it makes me sad and more than a little nonplussed.  Why do we do this to others?  How can there be peace when we summarily dismiss and hate on each other in even such random and pointless ways?

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#13    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Brick by brick

• 4,912 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:33 PM

View PostlibstaK, on 22 June 2013 - 12:42 AM, said:

The world's biggest problem is Hate.

We hate others and treat them with contempt.  We hate ourselves and treat ourselves poorly with our choices.  The rich hate the poor because they cost them money, the poor hate the rich because they have and keep all the money while others starve and freeze, the religious hate those that don't believe what they believe, the non religious hate those who don't share the same fashion sense or social graces as them, it goes on an on.

The worst is that what we hate we also very often fear and if you think that through it leads to death and war.

I have a workmate that loves to go on about how she just "can't abide this person" or just "can't take to that person" .  The most recent target of this lady in her 50's who should surely have learned some patience and grace by now,  was a young lass new to us in her early 20's - she doesn't even know the girl but there she is passing round her hatred and influencing others opinions about her, I see this or some version of it every day and it makes me sad and more than a little nonplussed.  Why do we do this to others?  How can there be peace when we summarily dismiss and hate on each other in even such random and pointless ways?

Low self esteem, if you knock someone else it somehow makes me feel superior...

I know far to many people who take this approach, I have even seen it in 6 year old family members. :(

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny. Anyway, it's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.

#14    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,605 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:50 PM

View PostJunior Chubb, on 27 June 2013 - 03:33 PM, said:

Low self esteem, if you knock someone else it somehow makes me feel superior...

I know far to many people who take this approach, I have even seen it in 6 year old family members. :(
If they're 6 years old at least they have the excuse of not knowing any better - it is an honest and transparent fear they are showing.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#15    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Brick by brick

• 4,912 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:46 PM

View PostlibstaK, on 27 June 2013 - 03:50 PM, said:

If they're 6 years old at least they have the excuse of not knowing any better - it is an honest and transparent fear they are showing.

Hopefully not to late to change too.

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny. Anyway, it's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users