Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Police Officer Investigates Suspicious Light

Night Walker

British policeman baffled by moon

2012-09-26

London - A British policeman put his colleagues on alert as he investigated a "suspicious bright light" - only to find it was the moon, an in-house magazine for the police reported on Wednesday.

Police magazine reported that the hapless officer only realised his blunder after warning his fellow constables in Worcestershire, central England, that he might require back-up.

The magazine's Dogberry column revealed: "While on night duty in Worcestershire by himself, a PC called up his sergeant to let him know that he was going up into the Clent Hills to investigate a 'suspicious bright light' that he could see shining from the other side of the hills.

"The call was for safety reasons as he might need back-up once he found the source.

"Twenty minutes later the PC called his sergeant back to reassure him that everything was ok and that he had found the source of the light.

"This diligent PC had in fact discovered the moon."

While the gaffe was once known only to the unnamed policeman's colleagues in the Worcestershire force, it has now been revealed to all 132 000 police rank-and-file officers in England and Wales who receive the magazine.

http://www.news24.co...y-moon-20120926

I can see this happening, especially on a late moonrise night. I also read once that in the infant stages of early warning radar development, the rising moon was sometimes mistaken for a ballistic missile attack.

• Like 1

It should be noted that he never considered it paranormal in nature. A light in the woods could be a group up to no good. Around my area if it's near a road there's a good chance an illegal drag race is forming up.

• Like 2

That guy should be hired onto the BFRO team, and be a investigator on " finding bigfoot "....With those credentials, he would fit right in as the " trained expert " on the team.

• Like 3

Ah yes, the professional trained observer - much lauded by the Believers

Believer's in what ..exactly ?...I suspect that as usual you have put two and two together, [and in your predictable little mind] have come up with some crazy misidentified UFO/ET story, haven't you OA?

When no where in the story linked does it say that the 'hapless officer' ever entertained the notion that the light that he was investigating, was ET related!...His suspicions of the light could be for any number of reasons!..And the fact that this story, [which is after all.. at best a little newspaper stocking filler] has been posted in the UFO/ET section of the forum is enough of an excuse for you to have a little dig at what you refer to as the "Believers"!!

Well it only goes to show, [if we didn't already know it] that even if the 'hapless officer' was a fully paid up member of the "Believer" contingent of the UFO/ET question, and was fooled by ' moonlight over the hill'...That there are 'Puddings on both side of the fence',as your post demonstrates!

And just in case you 'ARE' genuinely interested in the police connection with the UFO/ET subject, and not just here to ridicule people with differing opinion's to your own, then I suggest that you bone up on the real stuff some of which can be found at Gary Heseltine's excellent PRUFOS site here....

http://prufospolicedatabase.co.uk/8.html

Cheers.

• Like 2

Given the location and conditions, seem's innocent enough.

• Like 1

That guy should be hired onto the BFRO team, and be a investigator on " finding bigfoot "....With those credentials, he would fit right in as the " trained expert " on the team.

No he wouldn't - this guy owned up to his perceptual error whereas BFRO confabulates upon theirs...

• Like 3

No he wouldn't - this guy owned up to his perceptual error whereas BFRO confabulates upon theirs...

So true :)

Believer's in what ..exactly ?...I suspect that as usual you have put two and two together, [and in your predictable little mind] have come up with some crazy misidentified UFO/ET story, haven't you OA?

When no where in the story linked does it say that the 'hapless officer' ever entertained the notion that the light that he was investigating, was ET related!...His suspicions of the light could be for any number of reasons!..And the fact that this story, [which is after all.. at best a little newspaper stocking filler] has been posted in the UFO/ET section of the forum is enough of an excuse for you to have a little dig at what you refer to as the "Believers"!!

Well it only goes to show, [if we didn't already know it] that even if the 'hapless officer' was a fully paid up member of the "Believer" contingent of the UFO/ET question, and was fooled by ' moonlight over the hill'...That there are 'Puddings on both side of the fence',as your post demonstrates!

And just in case you 'ARE' genuinely interested in the police connection with the UFO/ET subject, and not just here to ridicule people with differing opinion's to your own, then I suggest that you bone up on the real stuff some of which can be found at Gary Heseltine's excellent PRUFOS site here....

http://prufospoliced...se.co.uk/8.html

Cheers.

You are the one leaping to ridiculous and predictable assumptions - who or what are you defending?

The Believers suggest that accounts by professional/trained observers cannot be questioned, whereas they misinterpret the mundane the same as Joe Public.

You are the one leaping to ridiculous and predictable assumptions - who or what are you defending?

The Believers suggest that accounts by professional/trained observers cannot be questioned, whereas they misinterpret the mundane the same as Joe Public.

Well that is unless the professional/trained observers don't agree with them, then they are thrown under the bus so fast it would make your head spin.

I'll give the cop credit. At least he was doing his job instead of feeding his face with donuts.

• 2 weeks later...

Hahaha! That'd be so embarrassing, I would have lied and said it went away before I got there!

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome

!