Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Miss Sippy Tawker

Michelle

I jest got ta tell ya thos was some of tha cutist stories I ever hear'd

With all that ther politicin goin on I plum missed em. I thank ya'll musta lived in tha holler next to us n ours. It shore is nice ta hear sumthin from back home. They is a few of us here thet's from thet neck of the woods. Next2Heavan sure would like em I hope she didn't miss em too.

Cum callin next time your out this way. thumbsup.gif

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Michelle

• Maelstrom5

• Me_Again

• Deimos

w00t.gifw00t.gif

Nitey niiite for toniiite. wink2.gif

• 2 weeks later...
laugh.gif Your GREAT Anson (but you knew that)...*winks at our ANGEL

Aw heck Missy Kail ! Moe finds himself tawkin Miss Sippy tawk after readin this here purdy writin.

Many props to ya !

• 3 months later...

laugh.gif Same with me Moe.

I ain't got a lot of time. But this here 'some crazy southern tawk. I ain't from thar, and you git me tawkin' like this. Heck, these darn stories even better if yawl tawk like them folks down thar, while yer readin'. grin2.gifyes.gif

Edited by Blue-Scorpion

Aw heck Missy Kail! Moe finds himself tawkin Miss Sippy tawk after readin this here purdy writin.
heck, i talk like that all the time anyway. but they were very nice, im going to come back and read the last three tomorrow.

EDIT: i just realized the pun title. "Miss Sippy" = Mississippi. pretty clever pseudonym.

Edited by man_in_mudboots

• 1 year later...

Ever notice how we, the people up North, have justa hint o' Southern accent, eh?

;):D I don't think it belittles anybody, darlin...I do it when I want to show the real me and use my Southern charm.

The alarmin thang about it is there is a clone of me on this here new TV show called The Closer. Don't git me wrong...she don't look nuthin like me, but I'd swear I was listening to myself when she smiles and goes right to the heart of the problem...and then says, "Thank you..."

:P

Off topic slightly... :ph34r:

Loved these, Anson - you definitely have the written dialect down pat. I live in the South, too, a transplanted Yankee married to a Southern boy. Now for a little flavor of the Southeast:

I growed up a po' white chile in Caro-line. Each morn we set out to pick th' corn and et it for breakfast, supper and din-din, too. Now, y'all know there's uses for corn that the Lord never intended. Ol' Bubba makes the bes' shine this side of Lexington County. Didja know you kin catch a bass in a creek with corn? Jus' slap three lil bits on a hook and chunk 'er in the water o'er yonder. Ain't no better drinkin water than creek water. Jus' make sure you ain't downstream from folk, cuz then y'all'll end up bein' Branch Kin. Know what Branch Kin is? That's when you've done sampled yer neighbor's DNA.

Here in good ol' Caro-line, we eats dem watta-melons. Every year we plants de melon and they grows big an long. Ol' Bubba up the way, he growed some fine melons las' year. Jimmy-Joe and me, we done snitched a melon and spiked it with joy juice and took it to th' church picnic. By the end o' the day, them baptists were just havin a time of it, a-dunkin each o' themselves in de creek and what-not. I hear'd ol' Bubba caught himself a bass in his teeth, all the while drunker than Cooter Brown. Now that's livin,' I tell yer. A southern boy can catch a minner in a mud-puddle, if he's a notion to.

Edited by Maelstrom5

:lol: Maelstrom...you shore got it down pat yorself...aint it fun makin fun of yor kin? Edited by Michelle

:lol: Maelstrom...you shore got it down pat yorself...aint it fun makin fun of yor kin?

Thanks Michelle - my husband always tells me not to make fun of his Southern English. He's still got a stout accent but lost a lot of it when he moved to Californa in the 90s (where he met lil ol me). His sister is always fun to talk to - her accent is so strong she makes him sound like he's speaking the Queen's English. I've lost a bit of my California non-accent since I've been here and my son makes fun of me whenever I say 'Y'all.' Southerners are some of the kindest, most heartfelt and intelligent people I've ever met. They have a unique perception of life, a way of breaking things down to their unadulterated truth and yet retain the ability to laugh at it all. It's often pretty jarring to hear just how to-the-point they can be. My husband is the one who regaled me with all the stories about Branch Kin, haints in the bairn and how authentic 'sweet tea' should be made. He says he'll never eat chitlins, though, no matter if they're stump-whooped or hand-cleaned, he don't touch nobody's chitlins.

- Jillian

Edited by Maelstrom5

:wub: Anson,

You know I LOVE your writings and yourself. Congrats on the 'almost' published ~WOW~

I always knew that you would have your writings published. I also remember that 'our' angel told us to write together. Keep me posted on your progress towards being published -

I definately got yer' (as you would say it) or yo' (as I would say it) back.

P.S. I don't find it offensive - Wat up wit the peep who does ? I got yo back *wink

We should start a conversation - you speaking your dialect and me speaking mine (that may make for a good read !) :rofl:

hugs, Me_Again :wub:

Jillian...I'm pleased that you like your new home.

People always say that Yankees are blunt and to the point, which they most certainly are, but Southerners have a way of putting it that doesn't offend. Isn't it hilarious how siblings can have such different Southern dialects? I have one sister that sounds like she was raised in the backwoods of the nearest holler while the other three of us have only a slight accent that may tend to get a little heavier after a few shots of moonshine. :P

I agree with your husband on the chitlins! :no:

Jillian...I'm pleased that you like your new home.

People always say that Yankees are blunt and to the point, which they most certainly are, but Southerners have a way of putting it that doesn't offend. Isn't it hilarious how siblings can have such different Southern dialects? I have one sister that sounds like she was raised in the backwoods of the nearest holler while the other three of us have only a slight accent that may tend to get a little heavier after a few shots of moonshine. :P

I agree with your husband on the chitlins! :no:

I've lived in the South off and on for many years - I lived in the southeast back in the early 90's, in Louisiana in the early 00's and now I'm back in the southeast one more time. Probably will grow old & die here this time, but it's a good a place as any!

On accents - my siblings and I have the same bland Californicated one we share with all far westerners, but many of my cousins live in Canada (most of my family, in fact), and they tell US that WE sound like Southerners. Guess my cousins don't know the difference, eh?

- Jillian

Edited by Maelstrom5

Hawwww!!!! This reminds me of a "southern joke" where one ask, "Do ye like them thar chitlins with tha chit or without tha chit?"

:w00t: I'm sorry yawl, but I jest HAD ta throw that up in tha mix. Hawwwwwwwwwwwww! :D

I've actually heard that one before, LOL. All this talk of chitterlings reminds me of boudin, a rice & sausage thing they serve only in Louisiana and Mississippi (maybe Alabama & Texas, too, but I only sampled the Louisiana kind) - it's sort of startling to watch it being made, but it's great stuff. That's one thing I seriously miss about the deep South - all that wonderful FOOD...

It's a good thang you didn't ask dem fer grits... :D