Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Reid supports expanding background checks

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#16    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:52 AM

You're walking into Conspiricy Land now.

Not according to Diane Frankenstein. She said it. Dont blame us for believing she meant it. Our politicians are suppose to be honest upstanding citizens and we are told they are truthful with us about everything from taxes to UFO's

Edited by AsteroidX, 04 February 2013 - 01:53 AM.

#17    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,694 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:59 AM

Yes and Feinstein is going to go all Hitler and assume power and take all our guns? Starting with those who have registered... And... she'll do it in a way so that Enforcement Officers show up at every person with a gun's house at the same time, to avoid anyone warning anyone, so she can get them ALL.... BWAH, HA, HA.....

Seriously, I am in favor of gun Ownership of anything less then a fully automatic weapon, but there comes a point of Believability with any statement, as to if it is possible or just rhetoric.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#18    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,799 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:48 AM

View PostAsteroidX, on 04 February 2013 - 01:32 AM, said:

Back in the day you didnt have to get permission to get a gun. You had to individually lose that privilege by a judge. Weve come so far as a country.
If the contention you support is that gun rampages are the result of mentally unstable people getting their hands on guns, the only way to prevent that is re-designed background checks.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#19    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,254 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:54 AM

View Postonereaderone, on 03 February 2013 - 10:11 PM, said:

let  us play  a game .  your  home  just  got blown away  by  a storm ,  you  move  into  a  bad area  of  town  and  are  now  renting , or  living  with  a friend ...your  current  drivers licance  does  not  match  your  current address,  you have nearly  no  paper that  says  you are  who  you say  you are .

try  to  buy a gun .

the  very  people  the second amendment  was  design'd  for  ,  are  the very people  this law  is  designed to  excluded  from  gun ownership...   those  who  have  the  greatest need  of  one .

Is not the second amendment ment to be used when your own government says in a german accent Papers plzzzz......  seems the right to bare arms has failed and the use of it is back peddeling.

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.

The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

#20    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,694 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:58 AM

View PostThe Silver Thong, on 04 February 2013 - 03:54 AM, said:

Is not the second amendment ment to be used when your own government says in a german accent Papers plzzzz......  seems the right to bare arms has failed and the use of it is back peddeling.
I thought it was more of the, "Hey you all. Dig this hole.", "Now line up in front of the hole. Now don't move, or we'll kill your wives and children.", Blam! Blam! Blam! "NEXT!"

Is having to show your Driver's License to a Police Officer really enough to start a Revolution over?

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#21    preacherman76

preacherman76

Humble Servent

• 10,908 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:19 AM

View Postonereaderone, on 03 February 2013 - 10:11 PM, said:

let  us play  a game .  your  home  just  got blown away  by  a storm ,  you  move  into  a  bad area  of  town  and  are  now  renting , or  living  with  a friend ...your  current  drivers licance  does  not  match  your  current address,  you have nearly  no  paper that  says  you are  who  you say  you are .

try  to  buy a gun .

the  very  people  the second amendment  was  design'd  for  ,  are  the very people  this law  is  designed to  excluded  from  gun ownership...   those  who  have  the  greatest need  of  one .

Yea thats the thing. If you are going to do better back ground checks, then you will also add to the list things other then whether you commited a felony to be denied your rights. Otherwise what is the point? Id like to see what exactly they are looking for before I could support such a thing. Will you be denied if you are on the terror watch list? Cause you could be on there for anything. And millions of people who are no terror threat at all are already on it. NTM you have no course of action to be removed from the list, and you cant even find out why you are on it. Same thing with the no fly list. And Biden already expressed a will to denie peoples rights who are on the no fly list.

If we were dealing with honest people who really just want to solve a problem, that would be one thing. But these people abuse every power they take. They will definitly denie many who shouldnt be denied at all.

Some things are true, even if you dont believe them.

#22    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:26 AM

Is having to show your Driver's License to a Police Officer really enough to start a Revolution over?

Im not sure thats part of this conversation.

#23    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,623 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:10 PM

View PostAsteroidX, on 04 February 2013 - 11:26 AM, said:

Im not sure thats part of this conversation.

And not much different than what some try to imply.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#24    preacherman76

preacherman76

Humble Servent

• 10,908 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:28 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 04 February 2013 - 01:59 AM, said:

Yes and Feinstein is going to go all Hitler and assume power and take all our guns?

No. She, along with like minded folks she works with will ban all guns one little step at a time. Same way they have taken every freedom. Why give her an inch? It wont solve anything. Question, why should gun owners trust people who say they dont want to ban guns, when they have openly stated they want to ban guns?

Some things are true, even if you dont believe them.

#25    Jeremiah65

Jeremiah65

Seeker of knowledge

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

• "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:11 PM

Just briefly, here is the only issue I have with "expanded background checks" in general.

IF they do this, then your "Second Amendment rights" becomes a privilege...just like a drivers license.  The Constitution does not give the right to own a horse or a car or any form of transportation or the right to operate said transportation...so it is a privilege.  It DOES give the right to keep and bear arms.  This enhanced background check is turning your "right" into a privilege controlled by the state.  Which right will next become a privilege?  Freedom of Speech?

I don't have a solution to the problem.  I do know that prohibition and controls have never stopped criminal activity.  In fact, it often enhances it and increases it based on the money that can be made trafficking any form of contraband.

Stopping a father or grandfather from transferring a firearm to a family member is completely against the Constitutional rights to own and bear arms and will absolutely not fix the problem...

Edited by Jeremiah65, 04 February 2013 - 03:12 PM.

"Liberty means responsibility.  That is why most men dread it."  George Bernard Shaw
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."  Thomas Jefferson

Posted Image

#26    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,868 posts

• The objective of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the other son of a b**** die for his!
    -Patton

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:25 PM

View PostAsteroidX, on 04 February 2013 - 01:52 AM, said:

Not according to Diane Frankenstein. She said it. Dont blame us for believing she meant it. Our politicians are suppose to be honest upstanding citizens and we are told they are truthful with us about everything from taxes to UFO's

Feinstein is an American and has a right to her own opinions and beliefs, just like you; and you know what? She did nothing wrong, did she? There was a vote, she didn't get the majority of votes and she didn't impose her opinions on others despite losing the vote. What exactly is wrong with this?

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent."

----Seraphina

#27    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,868 posts

• The objective of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the other son of a b**** die for his!
    -Patton

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:28 PM

View Postpreacherman76, on 04 February 2013 - 02:28 PM, said:

No. She, along with like minded folks she works with will ban all guns one little step at a time. Same way they have taken every freedom. Why give her an inch? It wont solve anything. Question, why should gun owners trust people who say they dont want to ban guns, when they have openly stated they want to ban guns?

Why don't you just move to North Korea? By the way you talk about the US, it seems you'll have more freedom there.

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent."

----Seraphina

#28    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,623 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:10 PM

If we miss words in a sentence (opportunely the words that are classifiers) we can interpret however we want. As long as the second is there (and I fail to see a majority to change that anywhere in the US) all that will be banned is unusual arms, which according to the Supreme Court is constitutional. Some day the US might be as densely populated as Japan (where firing a shot always carries the risk of killing a few bystander) and that might change, but until then you have to be pretty irrational to think that it will happen. On the other side, all these gun buying hypes generally stem from irrationality....

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#29    wolfknight

wolfknight

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts

• There is nothing to Fear, but fear itself

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:38 PM

I think is it a great idea, I am a gun ower. Wait 5 days for a gun.

#30    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,694 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:50 PM

It is fine not to trust her. But getting on a soapbox and claiming she is going to take all guns to allow for total control, is more then just not trusting her, it is promoting ideology to spread fear and anger. You can resist the small steps, but it is not Righteous to just go off and attack.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users