Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Woman 'Refused' Abortion In Ireland Dies

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:19 AM

Woman 'Refused' Abortion In Ireland Dies

Health officials investigate after the woman's husband says doctors told his wife: "This is a Catholic Country."

Investigations have been launched after a pregnant woman died in hospital in Ireland after allegedly being refused an abortion.
Savita Halappanavar, 31, suffered a miscarriage and septicaemia. Her husband Praveen claims doctors refused to carry out a termination for religious reasons.
Mrs Halappanavar, who was from India, was 17 weeks pregnant when admitted to Galway University Hospital.

She was suffering from agonising pain and, according to her husband, made several requests for an abortion.
Mr Halappanavar, 34, said doctors had refused to terminate the pregnancy because there was a foetal heartbeat and told his wife: "This is a Catholic country."
Read more  from Sky News  - > http://news.sky.com/...in-ireland-dies
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was at the shops this morning after dropping my kid off to school,  I saw this splashed all over the news papers, including the Irish papers.. Many of the Irish headlines  show their disgust  in this  and are demanding a change in the law..A lot of the Irish are outraged............I heard some  Irish Catholics express their outrage on one of the RTE networks..

I found this...

Thousands rally in Ireland after woman denied abortion dies

DUBLIN (Reuters) - Thousands of people rallied outside Ireland's parliament on Wednesday to demand strict abortion rules be eased after a pregnant Indian woman repeatedly denied a termination died in an Irish hospital.
Savita Halappanavar, 31, admitted to University Hospital Galway in the west of Ireland last month, died of septicaemia a week after miscarrying 17 weeks into her pregnancy.
Her repeated requests for termination were rejected because of the presence of a fetal heartbeat, her husband told state broadcaster RTE.
Abortion remains an extremely divisive issue in Ireland, an overwhelmingly Roman Catholic country which has some of the world's most restrictive laws on medical terminations.
  Read more - http://news.yahoo.co...-211707851.html

I personally  lean towards pro-life.. BUT I always noted that in life threatening situation, abortions should go ahead..  If a woman  is in a serious life threatening state,  she should have the legal right to have the abortion..  What happened to this woman  was appalling  Law or now law, it is still appalling  

I live in N.Ireland..and I thought - If she had of been flown by hospital helicopter  from  Craigavion hospital  that is 2 mins from my home.  ( which would take 25 mins by helicopter ) .. The doctors  at my local hospital would have whipped that foetus out in no time, and done all to save the woman.. The foetus was going to die anyway..I still cannot get over what the doctor done and why the south has such a law ?....   I never knew that in the south of Ireland they made abortions illegal

My overall opinion to this is -  Religion has no place in medical science, and should not interfere with the laws.. I hope the southern Irish  get their voice heard and  something seriously done about this..

​EDIT -  If this is in the wrong section of the forum...I apologise.. I couldn't make up my mind where to post it...

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 15 November 2012 - 11:22 AM.

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#2    diablo_04

diablo_04

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

• I reject your reality and substitute my own

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:30 AM

I don't know what to say, my personal opinion everybody should have the right to choose what they wanna do with there self, except if its a hazard to other people.
Tattoos are forbidden in Christianity but i don't see a law in Ireland forbidding tattoos.

Posted Image

I reject your reality and substitute my own

My site :D Workout tips

#3    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,923 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:31 AM

That is horrifying, what makes it worse is there is no repairing the damage when the person begging to have their life saved dies - she must have been in complete terror knowing something was seriously wrong if she was repeatedly asking for an abortion.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#4    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:35 AM

View PostlibstaK, on 15 November 2012 - 11:31 AM, said:

That is horrifying, what makes it worse is there is no repairing the damage when the person begging to have their life saved dies - she must have been in complete terror knowing something was seriously wrong if she was repeatedly asking for an abortion.

It is truly a sad case...  I never knew that the south of Ireland had that law..it is so backward and wrong... I fully support the Irish catholics that are displaying their outrage.. Way they see it is - Yea we are Catholics  but COME ON ..!!!   I hope their voice is heard..

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 15 November 2012 - 11:42 AM.

#5    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,923 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:43 AM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 15 November 2012 - 11:35 AM, said:

It is truly a sad case...  I never knew that the south of Ireland had that law..it is so backward and wrong... I fully support the Irish catholics that are displaying their outrage.. Way they see it is - Yea we are Catholics  but COMER ON ..!!!   I hope their voice is heard..
Even if abortion is illegal - termination of a pregnancy where there is immediate threat to the life of the mother should be a no brainer.  Doctors are medical scientists are they not? Surely this issue has been debated in medical circles ad nauseum - I cannot imagine it as accepted medical practice ANYWHERE in the western world to allow a mother to remain in danger of her life to save an unborn foetus. The only proviso preventing the termination should be direct objection by the mother as it is ultimately her choice (or anyone's with a medical condition) whether to accept/sign off on the surgery.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#6    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:46 AM

View PostlibstaK, on 15 November 2012 - 11:43 AM, said:

Even if abortion is illegal - termination of a pregnancy where there is immediate threat to the life of the mother should be a no brainer.  Doctors are medical scientists are they not? Surely this issue has been debated in medical circles ad nauseum - I cannot imagine it as accepted medical practice ANYWHERE in the western world to allow a mother to remain in danger of her life to save an unborn foetus. The only proviso preventing the termination should be direct objection by the mother as it is ultimately her choice (or anyone's with a medical condition) whether to accept/sign off on the surgery.

I agree with you..  Now people should understand and see that religious belief's  should not interfere with medical science and the law...

#7    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,797 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:49 AM

This is why laws based on religious law don't work. I hope this is a wake up call to the Irish people and she will not have died in vain.  If this happened in the States there would be a big lawsuit against the hospital and doctors. People say we are sue happy, but sometimes it makes institutions more careful.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#8    Knight Of Shadows

Knight Of Shadows

Shadow Dancer

• 5,251 posts

• Rest In Peace A.B

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:12 PM

i don't get it .. what is wrong with abortion ? and why it's viewed as " taboo " ?

by the name of Allah the Gracious the Merciful
Say, "I seek refuge in the Lord of daybreak From the evil of that which He created
And from the evil of darkness when it settles And from the evil of the blowers in knots
And from the evil of an envier when he envies"
truthful was Allah The Most High And Great

#9    FurthurBB

FurthurBB

Government Agent

• 3,380 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:14 PM

View PostlibstaK, on 15 November 2012 - 11:31 AM, said:

Well, she was a dentist, so she had a better than average understanding of anatomy and infections.

#10    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,048 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:31 PM

View PostKnight Of Shadows, on 15 November 2012 - 12:12 PM, said:

i don't get it .. what is wrong with abortion ? and why it's viewed as " taboo " ?
Many people see it (like myself) as the termination of human life, no matter at what time the abortiom is carried out. It could be just weeks into the pregnancy, or near the end. But many people are against it because their religion says it's murder as well.

There seems some gray area for many in abortion (I also feel these are good exceptions to the rule of 'no abortions'); if the mother's life is at stake, cases of incest or rape, or genetic deformities. In this case, the mother's life was at risk, an abortion of her child probably would have saved her life.

Edited by Hasina, 15 November 2012 - 05:32 PM.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#11    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,506 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:58 PM

The baby died to right? It almost seems evil.

Somone so righteous to say I will let you and your baby die because I am right and moral.

Edited by Seeker79, 15 November 2012 - 05:59 PM.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#12    al-amiyr

al-amiyr

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 124 posts
  • Location:Table Mountain - Cape Town - At The Junction Between The Two Seas - At The Cape Of Good Hope - South Africa

• Leading to A<->THEISM you do not know.

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:17 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 15 November 2012 - 11:19 AM, said:

I personally  lean towards pro-life.. BUT I always noted that in life threatening situation, abortions should go ahead..  If a woman  is in a serious life threatening state,  she should have the legal right to have the abortion..  What happened to this woman  was appalling  Law or now law, it is still appalling  

I live in N.Ireland..and I thought - If she had of been flown by hospital helicopter  from  Craigavion hospital  that is 2 mins from my home.  ( which would take 25 mins by helicopter ) .. The doctors  at my local hospital would have whipped that foetus out in no time, and done all to save the woman.. The foetus was going to die anyway..I still cannot get over what the doctor done and why the south has such a law ?....   I never knew that in the south of Ireland they made abortions illegal

My overall opinion to this is -  Religion has no place in medical science, and should not interfere with the laws.. I hope the southern Irish  get their voice heard and  something seriously done about this..

​EDIT -  If this is in the wrong section of the forum...I apologise.. I couldn't make up my mind where to post it...

I think that you should give the Doctor a shot and not abort the arrow. The arrow has the right to be lodged.---------R---------->

y = mx + L

#13    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:19 PM

View PostSeeker79, on 15 November 2012 - 05:58 PM, said:

The baby died to right? It almost seems evil.

Somone so righteous to say I will let you and your baby die because I am right and moral.

The baby was going to die regardless

Yea  sad isn't it ?

#14    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,767 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:27 PM

It brings a tear to my eye when I hear how far our society has progressed...

#15    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:41 PM

Other thread here.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users