Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Suggestions to Hone Psychic Abilities

Geekalicious

Would like some suggestions around honing one's psychic abilities (Intuition, Clairvoyance, and Telekinesis).

Some personal context:

I feel that I may have some abilities in the following areas.

• Intuition. I've always felt that I have excellent intuition--I can easily feel out situations and avoid dangers. Also, I am a great judge of character--I think I am sensitive to aura's or energy. I am a very sensitive person, generally speaking.
  • Clairvoyance. Similarly, I feel a bit of clairvoyance, although that may be due to my intuitiveness.
  • Telekinesis. I also have a strong ability to shape my life the way I want to (although this may be due to my dogged determination). Sometimes I feel like I can causes objects to move, e.g. I think about something falling over. Then someone walks across the room and knocks over a book.

More context: When I was 14 years old, my mother took me to a Brazilian witch doctor (sorry for not knowing a more precise and less (likely) offensive way of describing his practice). He was very convincing, and his reading has always held an interest in my mind, even some 16 years later.

He mentioned to me that I have the ability to influence objects and events. As I said, this has resonated throughout my life. But, I'm a skeptic that wants to believe. As my teens through early twenties were littered with drug abuse and a lack of self-confidence, I feel that I have squandered a critical time to develop my abilities.

However, I don't feel like this old dog can't learn new tricks (I'm clean of all substances now). So I turn to you friendly UM-ers for advice :)What are some practical ways I can work on developing my abiliites? Thanks in advance.

First off your concept of Telekinesis is off.It's moving objects with your mind, and not causing other people to do it for you.Sounds

like mind control, or intuition that the event was going to take place anyway.

Let me ask you a question.If you were to imagine, or picture an object, or person in front of you? Can you actually see it in front of you, or is it just a picture in your mind?

Intuition, or to borrow another's definition is the ability to understand something immediately, without the need for conscious reasoning; is applied exactly as you stated, by being sensitive. Certainly living away from the noise, filth, and stink of an urban setting would permit you the opportunity to fully explore your senses. Recognize though that the extreme is hypervigilance, a trait perhaps evident in combat veterans or those dealing with PTSD, where one is excessively focused on threats to survival often to the point of exhaustion.

Clairvoyance, or the ability to perceive matters beyond the range of ordinary perception, might be simply applied through the act of empathy. Empathy is the ability to understand and vicariously experience the thoughts and experiences of another. Empathy is not compassion or empathic concern but a purposeful exercise of critical thinking. By example, have two people stand back to back and have them describe what they see, Of course, each will see something very different. Who is correct ... get it? That is the ability to empathize. You can develop this skill simply by interacting with others and listening, not just hearing, but really listening to what they are saying.

Telekinesis is the ability to move objects without physically touching them; but, as you indicated, ... "I think about something falling over. Then someone walks across the room and knocks over a book." This really just confirmative thinking. We as humans seek to find confirmation to our expectations and actions. Thus, you purposely looked and waited to find a situation that confirmed your expectation of a falling object. The same may be said of the witchdoctor's comment of "ability to influence objects and events" whereby you will seek to find confirmation rather than rebuking the statement because you wish to believe it. To better maintain objectivity from one's own biases, empathy is a powerful tool as is the ability to very purposely put things into perspective.

• Like 1

I fail to see any evidence that special people are endowed with such abilities.

I am open to the possibility that such things might happen in rare occasions, but until now nobody could pass the test.

• Like 1

First off your concept of Telekinesis is off.It's moving objects with your mind, and not causing other people to do it for you.Sounds

like mind control, or intuition that the event was going to take place anyway.

Let me ask you a question.If you were to imagine, or picture an object, or person in front of you? Can you actually see it in front of you, or is it just a picture in your mind?

Thanks for your response. I feel that my intention causes the person to drop the object. I'm generally think of concepts from a visual and structural perspective.

However, I don't rule out Highdesert50's point of self confirmation bias.

Edited by Geekalicious

Intuition, or to borrow another's definition is the ability to understand something immediately, without the need for conscious reasoning; is applied exactly as you stated, by being sensitive. Certainly living away from the noise, filth, and stink of an urban setting would permit you the opportunity to fully explore your senses. Recognize though that the extreme is hypervigilance, a trait perhaps evident in combat veterans or those dealing with PTSD, where one is excessively focused on threats to survival often to the point of exhaustion.

I believe you make some great points. The only portion that I'd offer an alternative perspective is regarding the ways in which one may explore sensitivity. I'm currently studying Tibetan Buddhist practice, which involves mediation. Meditative practices help to promote general self-awareness and an understanding of the mind, one's motivations, and the nature of reality (among other things). Further, stimulus is the basis of these meditation practices. As such, I think it may be possible to have a fair amount of disturbance (sounds, personal stress, suffering, etc) to help promote sensitivity through meditation.

Very interesting perspective on the other points. Thanks for sharing.

Edited by Geekalicious