Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Ohio School Janitors To Carry Handguns

• Please log in to reply
188 replies to this topic

#16    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,253 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:31 PM

View Postsupervike, on 11 January 2013 - 09:30 PM, said:

This just strikes me as a horrifically terrible idea.

Lets just pay janitors to do janitorial stuff.

If security is that necessary, then pay for a security guard, or a policeman.  Someone with more than 'two days' of book learnin'.

I don't think anyone wants to see our country turn back into the wild west.

Yeh, but nobody is willing to pay the costs for a qualified guard either....

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#17    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,434 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:34 PM

View Postsupervike, on 11 January 2013 - 09:30 PM, said:

Lets just pay janitors to do janitorial stuff.

"I will be forced to thrash you."

Posted Image

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated."
- Hunt for the Skinwalker

"So many people forget that the first country the Nazis invaded was their own." Dr. Abraham Erskine

#18    aztek

aztek

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,560 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:36 PM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 11 January 2013 - 09:23 PM, said:

Yes, because the person we want armed on school grounds is the person who has (literally) the s**t job, the one who is working from the moment they arrive on campus to the moment they leave, the ones who are paid a pittance.
i argee, not only you got to wipe crap after them, be treated like crap, now they have to risk their life to protect them, yea right, i'm sure every janitor dreams of it, lol, NOT.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#19    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:37 PM

View PostHerNibs, on 11 January 2013 - 09:30 PM, said:

Eh, wouldn't really matter if its a vet or a janitor IMO.  As long as it is a mentally stable and capable person.

In the US we have a HUGE (and horribly sad) issue with vets who are suicidal or just sadly broken.  

IMO Training is the answer.

Nibs

I figured they would need more than just two days safety training?  Then again, I know sweet fanny all about guns

(Side note - Columbine had an armed deputy on sight.)

At an army barracks in N.Ireland, ( County Antrim )   the second an IRA gunman opened fire on two soldiers, who thought they were on their way to collect their pizza ..The armed guards hid away

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 11 January 2013 - 09:38 PM.

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#20    HerNibs

HerNibs

Grand Duchess Anaesthesia

• 12,112 posts

• Endless repetition does not make something true.

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:40 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 11 January 2013 - 09:37 PM, said:

I figured they would need more than just two days safety training?  Then again, I know sweet fanny all about guns

At an army barracks in N.Ireland, ( County Antrim )   the second an IRA gunman opened fire on two soldiers, who thought they were on their way to collect their pizza ..The armed guards hid away

Yeah, I hope they get far more than two days training and that they also get mental evaluations periodically.

*sigh*

I wish there was a good answer.  :(

Nibs

Just because it is a mystery to YOU doesn't make it unexplained.

STORM - a must watch - caution, some profanity and may cause you to experience reason.

#21    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,253 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:40 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 11 January 2013 - 09:37 PM, said:

I fail to see how a janitor, getting an average of 21K a year, would be more willing to risk his behind.

The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#22    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:41 PM

View Postaztek, on 11 January 2013 - 09:36 PM, said:

i argee, not only you got to wipe crap after them, be treated like crap, now they have to risk their life to protect them, yea right, i'm sure every janitor dreams of it, lol, NOT.

The janitors are buying the guns themselves.. They obviously wanted to do this

#23    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:43 PM

View PostHerNibs, on 11 January 2013 - 09:40 PM, said:

Yeah, I hope they get far more than two days training and that they also get mental evaluations periodically.

*sigh*

Nibs

I too don't think there really is a good answer.. But I think people are fed up to the back teeth with these shootings

What I didn't get was, how the parents didn't have a say ?  Then again, I don't know the full story...

#24    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,253 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:44 PM

View PostHerNibs, on 11 January 2013 - 09:40 PM, said:

*sigh*

Nibs

The good answer is: get reliable and stable security personnel. But reliable and stable security personnel costs more money that the tax payer is willing to allow.... in fact lately they are not even willing to allow for new books in the library in many districts.

And one armed guard to supervise a school of 1700 pupils (like Columbine) is but a band aid. You might not have any.

about me

#25    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:45 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 11 January 2013 - 09:40 PM, said:

I fail to see how a janitor, getting an average of 21K a year, would be more willing to risk his behind.

They agreed to go off and buy their own guns.. Whether that means they like their job and want to protect the kids or not? is something I cannot call...

#26    HerNibs

HerNibs

Grand Duchess Anaesthesia

• 12,112 posts

• Endless repetition does not make something true.

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:46 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 11 January 2013 - 09:44 PM, said:

The good answer is: get reliable and stable security personnel. But reliable and stable security personnel costs more money that the tax payer is willing to allow.... in fact lately they are not even willing to allow for new books in the library in many districts.

And one armed guard to supervise a school of 1700 pupils (like Columbine) is but a band aid. You might not have any.

Agreed.

Nibs

Just because it is a mystery to YOU doesn't make it unexplained.

STORM - a must watch - caution, some profanity and may cause you to experience reason.

#27    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,253 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:47 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 11 January 2013 - 09:45 PM, said:

They agreed to go off and buy their own guns.. Whether that means they like their job and want to protect the kids or not? is something I cannot call...

Lets see what comes of it, but my experience with vigilante type initiatives tell me that it either fizzles out or end in disaster.  I wish them the best.

about me

#28    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,412 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:47 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 11 January 2013 - 08:50 PM, said:

And the interesting question is: Who tells them that the janitor will not develop the "disgruntled postman syndrome"?
Who told you that police officers are all so virtuous?  What makes you think that government employees are the determining factor in one's character and virtue?  Do you how dangerous a bad cop can be?   Do you know how dangerous a bad President can be?   Do you know how dangerous a bad soldier or security guard can be?    Don't imply these derogatory judgments against janitors just because they chose the character building job of cleaning up the messes of others.  Don't imply these character judgments against anyone you don't know just because they don't collect a paycheck doing what everyone in our society has the right to do.

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#29    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,253 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:50 PM

View PostYamato, on 11 January 2013 - 09:47 PM, said:

Who told you that police officers are all so virtuous?  What makes you think that government employees are the determining factor in one's character and virtue?  Do you how dangerous a bad cop can be?   Do you know how dangerous a bad President can be?   Do you know how dangerous a bad soldier or security guard can be? Don't imply these derogatory judgments against janitors just because they chose the character building job of cleaning up the messes of others.  Don't imply these character judgments against anyone you don't know just because they don't collect a paycheck doing what everyone in our society has the right to do.

Nobody tells me that, but it is a pretty dumb idea to make a potential goat the gardener... at least if you want to reap anything from the garden.

It could be that there are very stable and reliable people under those janitors, but that cannot be determined in a two day "safety" course, and that just for starters.

about me

#30    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,677 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:50 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 11 January 2013 - 08:59 PM, said:

Yea true enough, because the second they get guns, it turns them into wannabe killers with mental disorders...They could easily go on a rampage if someone spills their juice on the play ground
What where they thinking eh?

Sorry about the sarcasm, but going by your logic, does that mean every single person who owns a gun, will develop some sort of mental / anger disorder and go nuts killing people?
A janitor, is that sort of like a caretaker? Ian Huntley comes to mind, he didn`t have a gun but he did have a permit to work there.

Whos monitoring the monitors?

Edited by freetoroam, 11 January 2013 - 09:51 PM.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users