Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Curious find in one of the Queen's paintings

Anomalocaris

Restorers cleaning one of the Queen's paintings were stunned to find a man answering a call of nature

It is behaviour unbecoming of a monarch's household, but a depiction of a man answering the call of nature in full public view has been discovered unexpectedly in a 17th-century Dutch painting in the Royal Collection.

A squatting figure relieving himself in the foreground of a rustic village scene has been exposed by conservators.

He had been hidden until now beneath shrubbery painted across him by an art restorer more than 100 years ago, apparently to spare royal blushes.

arrow3.gifRead more

Edited by Anomalocaris
  • Like 4

Public loos were non existent back then and that's what royal gardens were principally utilised for ~

• Like 3

Public loos were non existent back then and that's what royal gardens were principally utilised for ~

Hey, when you gotta go.....
  • Like 3

Sometimes I try to count the number of times I have been painted throughout human history whilst relieving myself.

The number is just too large to comprehend.

• Like 3

I'm wondering what the difference is between somebody just crouching down and somebody crouching down to do a #2...but maybe I'm just missing something in that picture...like an anal closeup...

• Like 1

Why the surprise? They did that all the time anywhere at all in those days. They had chamberpots under the table at meals.

• Like 2

I'm glad no one took the time to paint me when I did that. I guess they didn't see... *puts off invisibility cloak*

• Like 1

Such a shame that the poo is not invisible during the drop ~

• Like 2

A squatting figure relieving himself in the foreground of a rustic village scene (bottom right)

narf.