Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Cut speed limits

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16    Moon Gazer

Moon Gazer

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

• Stonewylde.... follow me to Stonewylde....

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:09 AM

I’m all for reducing speed limits around towns to 20mph (at least busy areas of town and around schools etc) and some country lanes to 40mph.  I live in Yorkshire and some of the country lanes are just not suitable for 60mph at all.

With regards to cycling, I just think our roads are so busy I can understand why people don’t want to cycle.  There are not all that many cycle paths running in to the cities that people can use and roads are just very narrow.  I would be scared to cycle on some of the roads around where I live.  If my husband had a bike he could cycle to work as we only live 3 miles outside Leeds and right near the canal so you can hop on the tow path there and cycle right in to the City.  Although he walks most days unless the weather is horrid.  I work 20 miles away from where I live and that is using the motorway, it would be a longer bike ride so not something I could do.

Bus fares are also stupidly expensive.  My kids love going on the bus to town on a weekend but it costs like £7, it's actually cheaper for me to drive and pay parking.

I also think some cyclists need to have training!  I see them do some crazy stuff, weaving in and out of moving cars, hopping on to the pavement at traffic lights etc.  Some can be very dangerous.

#17    Ohelemapit

Ohelemapit

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:35 AM

I live in a small village on the outskirts of Bradford/Keighley in West Yorkshire and we get many cyclists through here, especially at weekends, mainly because it has been encouraged with introduction of the Great Northern trail along with the fact we have many bridleways and tracks.

However many cyclists can be a real pain, the extreme off roaders, always groups of men, who seem to think they have priority to bridleways and groups or pairs that feel the main road belongs to them and cycle side by side so they can chat, slowing down the traffic who are trying to pass them. Amazingly enough these people only turn out on nice days, fine weather sports enthusiasts.

I used to go around the village with my 2 kids when they were younger, both are now 17 & 20 and wouldn’t be seen dead with me on a bike today, my 20 year old son probably would but my 17 year old daughter certainly wouldn’t. We would just go around the village and the side streets and stop at both pubs every-time we passed them for a drink, I don’t know how I got away with this with Mrs X for so long.

For the past couple of years I have said I should cycle more, especially to the gym and back and this year I am determined to do just that. I will be buying a new bike next week, nothing special, I am not brave enough for extreme off road cycling but the challenge of the odd grass verge I can handle.

I am not wearing a silly hat though..

Posted Image

#18    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

We don't like you

• 5,413 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:37 AM

View PostMoon Gazer, on 25 April 2013 - 08:09 AM, said:

I also think some cyclists need to have training!  I see them do some crazy stuff, weaving in and out of moving cars, hopping on to the pavement at traffic lights etc.  Some can be very dangerous.

They don't need training, they know the rules they just weigh up the advantages of saving 20 seconds and go for it. What they need is to see a friend get flattened by truck doing the same 'short cut', that would make them think twice about risky manoeuvres.

Cyclists like drivers are people, and to many people only consider their own needs when making a decision, whether that is jumping a red light, cycling on the pavement or obstructing the road with inconsiderate parking. Unfortunately today's 'me me me' attitude is here to stay...

View Postxsas, on 25 April 2013 - 08:35 AM, said:

I am not wearing a silly hat though..

Lol, what about a helmet then. ;)

Edited by Junior Chubb, 25 April 2013 - 08:39 AM.

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to show me where the hell Helen of Annoy has been for the past couple of months.

#19    skookum

skookum

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:23 AM

Cut the speed limits for cyclists by all means.

But equally enforce the legality of cyclists jumping red lights to save lives.  More than once I have almost had one off their bike around London when they blatantly ignore traffic signals.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users