Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * - - - 3 votes

"You didn't build that"

• Please log in to reply
439 replies to this topic

#16    RavenHawk

RavenHawk

Poltergeist

• 3,085 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:36 AM

Here's a clip that I like.  I think this says why Capitalism is superior to any flavor of Oligarchy.

*Signature removed* Forum Rules

#17    Tiggs

Tiggs

Relax. It's only me.

• 9,134 posts

• Universe Service Pack 2 still needs patching.

Posted 22 July 2012 - 04:57 PM

In Republican America, being nuked by the Russians is at worst cost neutral to business.

'merica.

#18    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,603 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 22 July 2012 - 05:06 PM

View PostRavenHawk, on 22 July 2012 - 07:36 AM, said:

Here's a clip that I like.  I think this says why Capitalism is superior to any flavor of Oligarchy.

waswondering how long it would take before we were graced by a simplistic Hollywood view.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#19    Bama13

Bama13

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:22 PM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 21 July 2012 - 04:55 AM, said:

You're absolutely correct, that business is yours, your responsibility and your right.
But it doesn't exist in isolation. You do benefit from the works of others, in effect someone paid you a "favour" which you should "pay it forward" by helping out in one way shape or form.

except being able to read, count, add up and take away, understand the balance of rights and responsibility...

As someone that has hired a lot of HS students and/or grads don't be too sure they can read, count, add, or subtract. I know many that couldn't figure out how much change was due, at least not without calculator.

James Brooks, who graduated from HS and auburn, reads at the 3rd grade level.

PS The government never built any of the roads I use. They were all built by private companies that were paid with taxes the government took from us, ie our money. Most roads are paid for by, and are maintained by, States and local governments anyway. Some neighborhoods pay for their own roads.

Edited by Bama13, 23 July 2012 - 06:27 PM.

" Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything —you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him" - Robert Heinlein

#20    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,603 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:18 PM

In related news:

Fact Checker said:

An unoriginal Obama quote, taken out of context

There are few original ideas in politics, just old arguments.

We were reminded of this as we considered the ruckus over comments by President Obama that his GOP rival, former governor Mitt Romney, criticized as an attack on free enterprise. Romney immediately began jabbing Obama on the campaign trail and the Romney campaign rushed out an attack ad focused on Obama’s words — though, as we shall see, it sliced and diced the president’s quote to make it seem much worse.

We will stipulate that taking snippets of quotes and twisting them is an age-old political tactic. In May, we gave Two Pinocchios to President Obama for performing out-of-context quote-snipping on Romney’s words. But that doesn’t make it right. Let’s take a look at what Obama actually said, and then how it has been interpreted

Read more

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#21    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,767 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:04 PM

View PostBama13, on 23 July 2012 - 06:22 PM, said:

As someone that has hired a lot of HS students and/or grads don't be too sure they can read, count, add, or subtract.
Well then your education system is failing them and you. There is no excuse for children being unable to read other then blindness.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#22    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,551 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:07 PM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 23 July 2012 - 10:04 PM, said:

Well then your education system is failing them and you. There is no excuse for children being unable to read other then blindness.
Partially true in some cases, mainly inner city schools. Parents are the real reason many students fail. If by the time one reaches high school, 13-14 years old here, and can't grasp the basics and the parents havent taken a greater interest in doing something about it well then you can't blame just the teachers. Sure some people are born with learning disabilities but I'm talking about slackers. In either case a parent has to recognize certain issues and try to take care of them. There is more to education than attending a class. Discipline, or at least some structural upbringing has something to do with it too.

Posted Image

#23    tapirmusic

tapirmusic

Astral Projection

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:20 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 23 July 2012 - 07:18 PM, said:

In related news:

Posted Image

#24    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,767 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:39 AM

View PostIs it for real, on 23 July 2012 - 11:07 PM, said:

Partially true in some cases, mainly inner city schools. Parents are the real reason many students fail. If by the time one reaches high school, 13-14 years old here, and can't grasp the basics and the parents havent taken a greater interest in doing something about it well then you can't blame just the teachers. Sure some people are born with learning disabilities but I'm talking about slackers. In either case a parent has to recognize certain issues and try to take care of them. There is more to education than attending a class. Discipline, or at least some structural upbringing has something to do with it too.
Preaching to the choir, I teach five year olds here in Oz, the hardest thing to do with reading is getting the parents involved and at that age it's the most important part of teaching reading - being read to and having someone read with you.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#25    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,721 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:20 AM

Regardless, it was kind of a not so nice argument to make, and the rhetoric wasn't necessary. There are many hard workers out there, one should never attempt to detract from their efforts to succeed. Even if that wasn't the president's intent, sometimes things are better left unsaid.

Edited by Spid3rCyd3, 24 July 2012 - 04:25 AM.

#26    Myles

Myles

Alien Abducter

• 4,493 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:56 PM

View PostIs it for real, on 23 July 2012 - 11:07 PM, said:

+1

#27    Tiggs

Tiggs

Relax. It's only me.

• 9,134 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:46 PM

View PostSpid3rCyd3, on 24 July 2012 - 04:20 AM, said:

Regardless, it was kind of a not so nice argument to make, and the rhetoric wasn't necessary. There are many hard workers out there, one should never attempt to detract from their efforts to succeed. Even if that wasn't the president's intent, sometimes things are better left unsaid.
It's the kind of argument that has to be made when the opposite side of the fence have a "If I earn it, it's mine and anything the government takes in taxes is stealing" mentality.

#28    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,721 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:19 PM

View PostTiggs, on 24 July 2012 - 02:46 PM, said:

It's the kind of argument that has to be made when the opposite side of the fence have a "If I earn it, it's mine and anything the government takes in taxes is stealing" mentality.

Must be nice to have the power to piss away trillions of dollars on rampantly unnecessary things, then make everyone else pay for it. Oh, wait, that's not stealing.

#29    Tiggs

Tiggs

Relax. It's only me.

• 9,134 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:25 PM

View PostSpid3rCyd3, on 24 July 2012 - 03:19 PM, said:

Must be nice to have the power to piss away trillions of dollars on rampantly unnecessary things, then make everyone else pay for it. Oh, wait, that's not stealing.

Yep. That's that mentality, right there.

#30    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,721 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:45 PM

Mentality? Why should I, or anyone else be expected to fund foreign wars as well as provide funding for several other federally backed business ventures that have gone awry?

Edited by Spid3rCyd3, 24 July 2012 - 06:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users