Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

New show series on "Destination America"

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:11 AM

......or it could just be "Finding Bigfoot" with gun toting hillbillies. At least they have a plan to take one as proof, which is more than I can say for the BFRO guys.

Here's a link to their page:

http://tvbythenumber...onsters/186174/

#2    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,477 posts

• "I'm an optimistic, don't know." Onslow

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:11 AM

"Not again" as my born and bred WV kids would say...

From the AIMS website
"Any skepticism we might have had in our early years disappeared for each of us in different ways but we all soon became believers when we had our own personal encounters with these creatures."

Why am I not surprised? Wolfman, Lizard Demon, Mothman, Devil dog, Grassman. That is quite a portfolio of "personal encounters"! Apparently these expert trappers haven't trapped one though.

Oh well, I am a glutton for punishment so will watch the show. I wish someone would dig into the background of some of these "actors" and see actually who they are, what they do and where they are from.

Their website is banal/lacking,  looks new and just links to other sites. Why not include their own personal experiences? And no background on these "Appalachian Mountain Men".

Edited by QuiteContrary, 19 June 2013 - 10:22 AM.

Keep your eyes wide open and don't run!

P.S. Just to be clear, because sometimes I am not. I do not believe...
in the existence of a large previously unknown undiscovered hairy biped roaming North America.
But I like to hear the accounts, read the books, watch the shows, discuss and argue about the phenomenon.

#3    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,520 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:04 PM

I think there just in it for the paycheck personally

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#4    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,017 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:15 PM

Will we ever get a quality skeptical show on any of these channels?

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#5    Supersquatch

Supersquatch

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

• Supersquatch powers, activate!

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:14 PM

I remember a time when Destination America was Planet Green... But now, Bigfoot is America's ringtone on this new channel.

Edited by Supersquatch, 19 June 2013 - 04:15 PM.

Posted Image

#6    scowl

scowl

Photographic Phraud

• 4,080 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:42 PM

View PostRafterman, on 19 June 2013 - 02:15 PM, said:

Fact or Faked on SyFy is/was a rare skeptical show on cable. Most of the time they ended up with reasonable explanations. They obviously did some things to pad out segments which they had probably already solved before they arrived at the location. In some of the most obvious hoaxes, they still tried to appeal to the paranormal fans by leaving something open. For example their interpretations of "ghost" recordings (which all sounded like "mnnmmrphmm" to me) were too imaginative.

Their biggest mistake was the "ghost gargoyle" in England. At the beginning of the show, they discarded an unrelated video of a UFO because the object disappeared in one frame indicating it was CGI. Damn, these guys are good. Or so I thought. The "gargoyle" had every CGI mistake a hoax could have. When the camera panned to the "gargoyle", everything in the frames was a streak of motion blur except the gargoyle which remained perfectly sharp. The "gargoyle" didn't move fluidly but made complete motions in every frame which was obvious animation. When the "gargoyle" turned and jumped, it looked less realistic than Wile E. Coyote chasing the Roadrunner off a cliff. I looked around for the video on the Internet and couldn't find it. Kind of a strong indication that it had already been declared worthless.

#7    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,017 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:46 PM

View Postscowl, on 19 June 2013 - 04:42 PM, said:

Fact or Faked on SyFy is/was a rare skeptical show on cable. Most of the time they ended up with reasonable explanations. They obviously did some things to pad out segments which they had probably already solved before they arrived at the location. In some of the most obvious hoaxes, they still tried to appeal to the paranormal fans by leaving something open. For example their interpretations of "ghost" recordings (which all sounded like "mnnmmrphmm" to me) were too imaginative.

Their biggest mistake was the "ghost gargoyle" in England. At the beginning of the show, they discarded an unrelated video of a UFO because the object disappeared in one frame indicating it was CGI. Damn, these guys are good. Or so I thought. The "gargoyle" had every CGI mistake a hoax could have. When the camera panned to the "gargoyle", everything in the frames was a streak of motion blur except the gargoyle which remained perfectly sharp. The "gargoyle" didn't move fluidly but made complete motions in every frame which was obvious animation. When the "gargoyle" turned and jumped, it looked less realistic than Wile E. Coyote chasing the Roadrunner off a cliff. I looked around for the video on the Internet and couldn't find it. Kind of a strong indication that it had already been declared worthless.

That show was pretty good, although I agree that they pandered to para crowd a bit too much.  Decoded is another show that at makes an attempt at skepticism, but doesn't quite go far enough in my opinion.

Frankly, I'd love to see a show with the likes of Brian Dunning and/or Ben Radford doing some real digging and really debunking a lot of this silliness once and for all.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#8    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,477 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:03 PM

I've given up on TV and expect nothing anymore and am not disappointed. There are a few shows and a couple channels I'll watch if I want to actually learn something. Otherwise, it's just cheap fake useless entertainment.
Anything "paranormal" is worthless, imo. Even as a believer, I think I'd find it all formulaic, unsatisfactory and profit oriented.

in the existence of a large previously unknown undiscovered hairy biped roaming North America.
But I like to hear the accounts, read the books, watch the shows, discuss and argue about the phenomenon.

#9    coolguy

coolguy

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,744 posts

• Star trek rules

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:08 AM

Fact or faked was good will it be back on tv

#10    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:44 AM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 19 June 2013 - 05:03 PM, said:

I've given up on TV and expect nothing anymore and am not disappointed. There are a few shows and a couple channels I'll watch if I want to actually learn something. Otherwise, it's just cheap fake useless entertainment.
Anything "paranormal" is worthless, imo. Even as a believer, I think I'd find it all formulaic, unsatisfactory and profit oriented.

I have to agree with you QC. There's no back ground on these guys, other than a very generic "These guys all grew up in the relative areas and are "Appalachian Mountain Men". What does that mean? What qualifies them to be called that? For all we know the whole show could be a fake reality based show like "Lizzard Lick Towing" where all those guys are actors and all the scenes are staged for TV. Why people watch that crap is competely over my head, but watch it they do.....and apparently love it. I think that show is in it's, what? Forth or fifth season now?

Granted, there aren't too many qualifications you have to have in order to call yourself an "Appalachian Mountain Man". I mean a heavy, long, untrimmed beard, bib overalls, a funky, worn out hat and a deeply over drawn southern accent......oh and a rifle. Which makes me raise another point, on the previews for tomorrow nights show one of those old boys was running around in the woods at night in search of whatever critter it is their after with a scpoed rifle. Scoped rifles suck and swallow at night in a wooded area. Seems a real Mountain man would have figured that one out......but I digress. The point I was going for is there is only slightly more to qualify you to be one of these guys than it is to call yourself a "Cryptozoologist". CZ's can pass on the beards and big overalls.

However, I am off tomorrow night and will be watching the show with a great deal of interest. Oh, and just so you'll know, if I see anything that doesn't seem correct to me I will post and call BS on it. I hope the rest of you will do the same. If nothing else it might make for some good conversations.

#11    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,477 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:34 AM

View Postkeninsc, on 20 June 2013 - 04:44 AM, said:

I have to agree with you QC. There's no back ground on these guys, other than a very generic "These guys all grew up in the relative areas and are "Appalachian Mountain Men". What does that mean? What qualifies them to be called that? For all we know the whole show could be a fake reality based show like "Lizzard Lick Towing" where all those guys are actors and all the scenes are staged for TV. Why people watch that crap is competely over my head, but watch it they do.....and apparently love it. I think that show is in it's, what? Forth or fifth season now?

Granted, there aren't too many qualifications you have to have in order to call yourself an "Appalachian Mountain Man". I mean a heavy, long, untrimmed beard, bib overalls, a funky, worn out hat and a deeply over drawn southern accent......oh and a rifle. Which makes me raise another point, on the previews for tomorrow nights show one of those old boys was running around in the woods at night in search of whatever critter it is their after with a scpoed rifle. Scoped rifles suck and swallow at night in a wooded area. Seems a real Mountain man would have figured that one out......but I digress. The point I was going for is there is only slightly more to qualify you to be one of these guys than it is to call yourself a "Cryptozoologist". CZ's can pass on the beards and big overalls.

However, I am off tomorrow night and will be watching the show with a great deal of interest. Oh, and just so you'll know, if I see anything that doesn't seem correct to me I will post and call BS on it. I hope the rest of you will do the same. If nothing else it might make for some good conversations.

I agree, did you see the tail-end of that creature they are after in the commercial for the show? What do you think it is? It's shown so fast.

Edited by QuiteContrary, 20 June 2013 - 06:35 AM.

#12    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:06 AM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 20 June 2013 - 06:34 AM, said:

I agree, did you see the tail-end of that creature they are after in the commercial for the show? What do you think it is? It's shown so fast.

Honestly, it happened so fast it could have been anything, just a few milliseconds of a glance and they cut to something else, just enough to make the mind start trying to fill in the blanks for you without you realizing it's happening.

#13    scowl

scowl

Photographic Phraud

• 4,080 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:52 PM

View Postcoolguy, on 20 June 2013 - 04:08 AM, said:

Fact or faked was good will it be back on tv

Syfy hasn't been strongly committed to the show, only buying a handful of episodes at random times. The show also does nothing to promote their other programming.

#14    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:41 PM

That's understandable, shows cast a lot of money to produce, edit and get into a form where they're interesting. Then you have to wonder what is going to get the ratings. Great example is "Pawn Stars". Who'd have guessed before hand how big that show would have popped in the ratings for the History Channel? Now it's had four shows spun off it and two of them are doing well so far.

#15    Supersquatch

Supersquatch

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

• Supersquatch powers, activate!

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:23 PM

View PostRafterman, on 19 June 2013 - 02:15 PM, said:

I agree with cool guy, Fact or Faked was pretty good. So was Destination Truth. But, you are right. Not that many shows are actually skeptical.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users