Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Are you satisfied with your life? Have cause?

SereneScene

Do you feel you truly have a point in life? Are you satisfied with going to work everyday so you can pay your bills, get new materal items, and do some things here and here?

What makes you happy? Are you doing what makes you happy? What is the point of all of this? Surely we must have a point, a destiny....or is that the human ego talking again?

Are you happy with the way our society is constructed? When you sit watching people in a city going about their business like an colony of ants what goes through your mind? Surely we should not be compared to ants....but are we closer than we like to admit?

What is the point of all this? I still have not found what makes me happy and a purpose so I wonder these things a lot.

Caveman DNA says not happy.

Ego says happy.

I'm caught in the middle.

Edit to add -- "We're the middle children of history, man. We have no war, no great depression. Our war is a spiritual war. Our great depression is our lives."

Edited by Dark_Grey
  • Like 2

if there was no point, nothing ever would of exist, a black void, darkness.

Why cant things just exist? Why does it need a point?

• Like 1

Why cant things just exist? Why does it need a point?

Because we're egotistical creatures. We can't stomach the idea of NOT having a "special purpose" for being here.

It's like believing in Karma: it just helps us come to terms with an otherwise hopeless situation.

The way I see it is, you're here, make the best of it. No one really knows what the purpose of living is...but I'm willing to bet on the side that we do have a reason for being here. Find a way to take care of yourself and then find something that makes you happy. For some it's art or music, for others it's animals or travel...whatever. Go out and have some fun...because all too soon you'll find yourself at the end of the journey.

• Like 4

I can't see why people are so unhappy with their lives, just have a think that there are millions in cemetery's around the world that would gladly exchange places,you are all part of the on going history of the Human race.

• Like 1

It seems to me that most of us, at least in the so-called "West," have many opportunities to fulfill the old adage: "Life is what you make of it." Sometimes, no matter how hard we try, we fail--screw up--self-defeat via a multitude of avenues. But we have the option to pick up the pieces and try again.

Those who enter a life of grinding poverty, literally born in a garbage dump outside Calcutta or abandoned at birth behind a bar in Bugville, Mississippi, must strive mightily to establish meaning and purpose in life. Yet even such heavily disadvantaged persons can rise above their original limitations to aspire to satisfaction, fulfillment and even greatness.

Edited by szentgyorgy
  • Like 1

I can't see why people are so unhappy with their lives, just have a think that there are millions in cemetery's around the world that would gladly exchange places,you are all part of the on going history of the Human race.

Its great that you can be happy so easily but many find it very difficult because they feel they have no purpose or ambition in their lives and are left with this empty feeling of living "just because".

I think you can only be bored in life if you're uncreative.

WE all have to find our own purpose, theres no some handbook given to us saying "Hey, Jimmy, be a mechanic, you'll marry Susan at 33 and have a wonderful life this way"

Personally, I like to think we're in c ontrol of our own lives and happiness, a little imagination, and you can have a happy, or at least interesting life.

• Like 1

Do you feel you truly have a point in life?

Nope

Are you satisfied with going to work everyday so you can pay your bills, get new materal items, and do some things here and here?

(shrugs) I guess.

What makes you happy?

I don't know

Are you doing what makes you happy?

I don't know.

Surely we must have a point, a destiny....

Nope

or is that the human ego talking again?

Most likely

Are you happy with the way our society is constructed?

I don't know and am not really concerned.

When you sit watching people in a city going about their business like an colony of ants what goes through your mind? Surely we should not be compared to ants....but are we closer than we like to admit?

That's life.

there's not some handbook given to us saying "Hey, Jimmy, be a mechanic, you'll marry Susan at 33 and have a wonderful life this way

Sadly there are quite a number of people who feel life is exactly like that. Predestined and predetermined. All you have to do is basically sit back and let things come as they may.

just have a think that there are millions in cemetery's around the world that would gladly exchange places

They're dead. Dead and decaying bodies don't care about anything.

At least until the zombie apocalypse

Ah..good point. But by then all they'll care about is eating brains. (Mmmm....brains...)

Slightly hi-jacking.

Why is it zombies who are decayed bodies, can spli topen skulls and ribcages, when full grown adults can't open a pickle jar?

Slightly hi-jacking.

Why is it zombies who are decayed bodies, can spli topen skulls and ribcages, when full grown adults can't open a pickle jar?

Hmmm..I don't know. Massive and constant adrenalin rush?

By the way, we need a good zombie smiley for stuff like this.

Edited by Ryu

I recently turned 64 and have major heart problems. I probably should be miserable but I am not. I have a comfortable retirement, enough to meet my needs, an active social life and relationships, an active mind and a house full of books. I suspect that everything does have a purpose but I cannot know what it is and probably could not comprehend it if I did. It will fulfill itself and therefore is not mine to bother about. I believe it is up to ourselves to give our own lives a meaning that suits us. I have been kind to people, have done my duty and have helped where I could. I have no major regrets.

• Like 2

I am pleased with where I am in my life at this time but I can't say i'm satisfied. there are many many things I still want to accomplish.

as for work, I love what I do. it gives me great joy and I know I am making a difference in people's lives.

I really believe that life is its own purpose. you either live it or it lives you.

• Like 1

you either live it or it lives you.

What intrinsically defines the term "living life"? I mean, no matter what you do you're still living, are you not?

Just wondering.

What intrinsically defines the term "living life"? I mean, no matter what you do you're still living, are you not?

Just wondering.

I would guess it means doing something with your life instead of waiting around for something to happen.

Which seems to be the case with many today, they "expect" a meaning to their life to suddenly appear infront of them.

If you want your life to have meaning, you have to find it yourself.

It may take many trial and errors, but that gets put down as experience, so does all the acheivements made too.

Everyones life is on a timer, best make the most of it before the clock stops ticking.

• Like 3

Nope

(shrugs) I guess.

I don't know

I don't know.

Nope

Most likely

I don't know and am not really concerned.

That's life.

Sadly there are quite a number of people who feel life is exactly like that. Predestined and predetermined. All you have to do is basically sit back and let things come as they may.

They're dead. Dead and decaying bodies don't care about anything.

A lot of "I don't know" in those answers. Have you had these thoughts? or is it a case of "ignorance is bliss"?

I like my life, I like myself. Don't know if there's a higher purpose, don't know why that's important to some people. I like to say I have a lower purpose, living life moment by moment, trying to do the right thing, staying present, and savoring those things that are right in front of me: a full moon, the beach, my kitty, my friends & family, good books, good music, interesting conversation, a few trips here & there, doing the best I can at work, remembering to listen and stay in compassion. The thought that this isn't enough and that I need to find a higher purpose kind of mentally exhausts me. And what is a higher purpose, anyway? What does that mean? Aspiring to greatness? Achieving to a higher degree? Can someone define higher purpose?

• Like 3

Just wondering.

not as far as i'm concerned. you undoubtedly exist, but living is participating. getting involved in things, in people, in causes and projects and educating yourself and challenging yourself. that's what i call living - making things happen for you rather than having things happen to you.

• Like 1

Higher purpose is another term for your soul calling / purpose.

Edited by bLu3 de 3n3rgy

Life does not have a purpose but consciousness requires one, hence the dilemma. If there is a purpose it is often not our own nor are we likely to be aware of it. In the big picture our purpose may be in the influence we've had on another, whether for good or bad, intentional or not.

As for happiness, several millennia of poets and philosophers have failed to define it or identify it's source. I am quite happy and content but by all external signs I should not be. I am 60 years old, on disability. I have no friends or close family, therefor no social life at all. I have become estranged from every wife I've had and have lost track of my kids. Due to failing health I cannot do many of the things I have loved in the past. But I greet each day full of joy, I amuse myself in simple ways and bask in the love of my cat. I am friendly to everyone and most people like me right away. I am perpetually cheery and an optimist, with consistent good humor. Yet I can take credit for none of this, it is just my nature. That tells me that happiness is more internal than external, more genetic than circumstantial. I remember, when I was in the course of a particularly nasty divorce, I would go into work whistling to myself a happy little tune. A co-worker half jokingly confronted me with "What are you so happy about?" My answer was "If I had to wait for something to be happy about, I never would be."

• Like 2