Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Do you hope for life outside this planet?

the.truth.is.out.there.x

I personally hope that their is life in the universe other than our own. If space stretches on forever, we can't be the only ones out there. Or at least I hope we aren't. I've always wondered if there was life, how different would it be? Would an alien society be better than our own to live in? Would we actually be able to say, "I don't want to live on this planet anymore" and simply move to another one? But on the other hand, what about if interstellar wars broke out, or the planets were even harder to live on than our own? Would finding life elsewhere be worth it, or is it better to be alone. I just want to know the truth, whether it is the one I want to hear or not.

I hope Alien life comes by, and says hello this weekend.

• Like 1

I think there is intelligent life out there who have developed a technological civilization, but they're probably so far away we may never make contact. Google the Fermi Paradox, which states, "The Fermi Paradox is the apparent contradiction between the high probability extraterrestrial civilizations' existence and the lack of contact with such civilizations."

My opinion is there is no short cut around the speed of light for quick interstellar travel. Given the likelihood that only predator forms of life evolve intelligence that matches or exceeds ours, I would be wary of any extraterrestrial aliens discovering the earth.

Also, Google, 'The Great Filter', which states that perhaps all advanced technological civilizations ultimately destroy themselves.

Or maybe other civilizations realize the dangers of contact and remain quiet so as not to be invaded.

I would be amazed if there wasn't at least some sort of basic life out there elsewhere in the universe, perhaps even in our solar system at some stage at present or in its history (Mars, Titan, Europa, ?)

I would also be surprised if, given the unimaginable size and history of our universe that intelligent life similar to ours or perhaps very different but more or less intelligent, didn't or won't or hasn't existed widespread throughout the universe.

Whether or not such life lasts for long enough to develop interstellar travel, whether or not interstellar travel is feasible or or has plausible technology to cross said unimaginable distances to make contact with their fellow intelligent civilisations is a question I'm not sure of the answer of however.

• Like 3

Yes, I hope that we may find life on Europa or the like, I have less "hope" that we will find aliens visiting us from another star system, given the limitations of space travel as far as we understand it today.

Every conceivable science fiction scenario about why aliens would visit the Earth has been floating about since at least the time of H.G. Wells. Would they be explorers? Conquerors? Would they unwittingly release a disease that kills off every human? It's interesting to think about, but don't hold your breath.

• Like 2

For Aliens to come here they would have hyperdimensional travel.This technology is so advanced that they would have no need for us for anything, except to study.An entire Galaxy to them is just a stepping stone, and the Stars do their bidding.If these Aliens were hostile?Then we would not be here, because time would be a walk in the park for them.Only hostile Aliens are the ones that cannot get here.

The only things to worry about is ourselves.When ourselves are no longer a worry then Earth will get a formal visit, but that's if we are still here?

I wish Aliens will come to pull a few heads out of the Sand.

Edited by davros of skaro
  • Like 1

I think it would be awesome if there are tons of different aliens out there like in all the sci-fis

And I would love being able to say" I do not want to live on this planet anymore" and then actually leave lol.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1

I think Kepler has given us a bit of an insight from the tiny bit of space it has scanned. It tells us planets are numerous, and it tells us that conditions for life as we know it as rare. With the large number of planets out there, it seems highly likely that evolution may have happened more than once, but considering how much life we have seen, and what the majority if planets are like, it strikes me that if life does arise like it did here, that intelligent life would be less abundant than simple forms of life, and that intelligent life might be so far away that even sending a signal will take lifetimes to send and receive.

As for being different, if life is rare, and dependant on evolution, I do not see why it would be all that different. We expect an exortic planet to have exotic life forms, but the planets we expect to find life on are not all that exostic by our standards. I think the biggest surprise for most would be finding others similar to our own.

When we consider that it would take the Voyager probe about 86,000 years to reach the closest star, and accept that, the perspective is mind boggling. A Space shuttle would take 165 thousand years. But looking at Voyager, it has been travelling through space, for 37 years, and it has covered about 0.05% of the distance required to get to Alpha Centauri b. To send a viable probe that could actually gather a decent data set, we would be looking at something at least a dozen times the mass of the voyager probe, which means we need more propulsion. How far down that rabbit hole can our resources take us - seeming as someone has to pay for all this. I think we are at the limit of what our resources will currently allow. Sci Fi has desensitised a large portion of the population to the massiveness of space terribly.

• Like 1

I long believed the possibility of extraterrestrial life, the billions of planets in our visible universe cannot be void of any ounce of life. I hope extraterrestrials we come upon are friendly, harmless and beneficial to humanity, but don't count on it. There's a possibility of aliens invade or conquer us on Earth for the worst reasons and we need to prepare for anything of the sort. I don't know for certain aliens reportedly visiting the earth are hyper-dimensional or from other galaxies in our dimension, however, most scientists aren't entirely convinced the UFO phenomenon is authentic, and they continue their quest for planets thought to potentially support life.

• Like 1

i would like to believe that there is life out there, and i still hold out hope for the possible discovery of some form of life elsewhere in the solar system. but i don't think we're ever going to see direct evidence of other intelligent life. i want to see it, but i just don't think it will happen, for the reasons that people have already mentioned.

the whole conversation has got me thinking of a line from the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy, by the way. this one, here:

It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Therefore, there must be a finite number of inhabited worlds. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near to nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely the products of a deranged imagination.
  • Like 3

I love the way you think seaturtlehorsesnake.

And one of the best nicks I have ever seen. You should visit us here more often :D

Hitchhikers never gets old, so many pearls of wisdom in there!!

• Like 1

And let's remember that the evolution of homo sapiens was most likely a fluke, or at best a lucky accident. By no means was it inevitable, in my opinion. I think we humans exist by a series of lucky accidents. If the dinosaurs had not become extinct by accident, it's not likely we would be here now.

I would say this puts a lower limit to how many technological societies are out there.

I love the way you think seaturtlehorsesnake.

And one of the best nicks I have ever seen. You should visit us here more often :D

Hitchhikers never gets old, so many pearls of wisdom in there!!

perhaps scarily, i used to know the first chapters of the hitchhikers guide by heart. it was one of my bedtime stories as a kid!

yeah, my parents were a bit odd.

• Like 2

I think there must be some kind of intelligent life outside of our galaxy. I really enjoy reading about it, but as davros of skaro said, if they are coming to Earth, it will just be to study us. Realistically, if they have the technology to travel through galaxy's, they won't need much from us.

Whether or not such life lasts for long enough to develop interstellar travel, whether or not interstellar travel is feasible or or has plausible technology to cross said unimaginable distances to make contact with their fellow intelligent civilisations is a question I'm not sure of the answer of however.

Yes it has.

I think there must be some kind of intelligent life outside of our galaxy. I really enjoy reading about it, but as davros of skaro said, if they are coming to Earth, it will just be to study us. Realistically, if they have the technology to travel through galaxy's, they won't need much from us.

They might appreciate Mozart, once it is adjusted to their hearing apparatus.

perhaps scarily, i used to know the first chapters of the hitchhikers guide by heart. it was one of my bedtime stories as a kid!

yeah, my parents were a bit odd.

parents a bit odd?

Nah mate.. that is Parenting done right!!

• Like 3

Yes it has.

STOP TRYING TO DIVERT THREADS! if you have nothing to say inline with the OP then kindly dont post your moronic video's

• Like 5

Do you hope for life outside this planet?

Does anyone think that their could be life? would it be better? or worse?

Well right now there could be life elsewhere, and my life is no better or worse for knowing that! But yes I do expect life to exist elsewhere. But first we need to fully check out Mars, Europa, and now Ganymede!

The types of life that might exist on watery planets, like Europa or Ganymede tho, may just be bacteria...or they could be little fishes... though I doubt the fish part..

Life could be found, simply as some sort of vegetation, and thats life too! It should all be celebrated But as Psyche outlined the incredible distances between us would make communication with any potential intelligent life virtually impossible..

Unless aliens come to us!

• Like 2

it is a really... REALLY big universe... With more galaxies than we can count, and in each of those are billions, even hundreds of billions of stars, and the vast majority of those stars have the

potential to have multiple planets... The thought that intelligent life happened on only one otherwise insignificant planet, orbiting a rather un-spectacular star, in the backwater reaches of a single

typical galaxy, is harder to believe than the existance of the Easter Bunny...

Now, is another civilization close enough to even be detected? That is far more unlikely... Is one close enough that we can eventually meet face to whatever? Odds are no...

Would such a civilization be better than ours, or worse?... I imagine it would be about the same... I don't believe humans have a universal monopoly on being crappy, and I also don't believe we have a monopoly

on being good...

But as for hoping there is life outside this planet....I'm still hoping to get a life on this one!

Edited by Taun
  • Like 5

Well..from a scientific standpoint, when I look at the various conditions on this planet where life exists, from the temperate to the frigid and even scalding hot and acidic I see no reason why life cannot exist elsewhere.

Naturally most advanced life forms are not going to look like us simply because their biology has to adapt to their environment.

Are advance civilizations going to be filled with glowing beings that don't eat, drink, sleep or do anything but heal with just a glance? No. Are they going to be slobbering, blood thirsty creatures bent on conquering and destroying everything and can only communicate with roars and snarls? Hardly.

Are some going to be more kind and understanding than us? Probably.

But in the end I guess I really don't care if there is life elsewhere, it doesn't add anything to my life. I have enough to with as it is.

I think there's a pretty good chance we'll find life on other planets in our solar system. As far as life "out there" - most definitely. Will it be space faring, pew pew phaser wielding life - maybe, who knows.

I think:

a. The odds of complicated life existing somewhere else among the billions of trillions of stars is overwhelmingly likely

b. Any suitably complicated life will have to go through a similar technological evolution as us - i.e. they will have to discover electricity before inventing radios.

c. Given our sample pool of one (us), it seems politically, economically and ecologically unlikely that interstellar flight is possible. We can just about make it to the Moon, and that was due to almost apocalyptic political reasons. We may well come to discover that true interstellar travel is too costly, financially, politically and ecologically.

In conclusion - I think there is certainly complex life out there, but past the fleeting radio signal (like the Wow Signal), we will never make contact with them.

(edit - a conclusion I find pretty depressing)

Edited by Emma_Acid
  • Like 6

I think:

a. The odds of complicated life existing somewhere else among the billions of trillions of stars is overwhelmingly likely

b. Any suitably complicated life will have to go through a similar technological evolution as us - i.e. they will have to discover electricity before inventing radios.

c. Given our sample pool of one (us), it seems politically, economically and ecologically unlikely that interstellar flight is possible. We can just about make it to the Moon, and that was due to almost apocalyptic political reasons. We may well come to discover that true interstellar travel is too costly, financially, politically and ecologically.

In conclusion - I think there is certainly complex life out there, but past the fleeting radio signal (like the Wow Signal), we will never make contact with them.

(edit - a conclusion I find pretty depressing)

I agree with your conclusion. Even if there are lifeforms who have developed effective interstellar transport through whatever means, the odds of them even knowing we exist, much less contacting us are infinitesimal.

• Like 2