Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Merged] NJ witch Sightings?

Realm of Unknown

I've been told by my grandma that her dad was kidnaped when he was younger by a witch in Summer Point NJ, I just want to prove all this. If anyone knows about witches, witch-craft, or the Summers and Steelmans families in Summers point New Jersey, could really use the help, cause people in my family are starting to reveal things that happens to them, but only those repeated to my Grandma(not my dad, or grandpa) we think it has to do with persuasion over event.

• Like 1

I've been told by my grandma that her dad was kidnaped when he was younger by a witch in Summer Point NJ, I just want to prove all this. If anyone knows about witches, witch-craft, or the Summers and Steelmans families in Summers point New Jersey, could really use the help, cause people in my family are starting to reveal things that happens to them, but only those repeated to my Grandma(not my dad, or grandpa) we think it has to do with persuasion over event.

Well how many,years we going back here ?

Witches and covens ,come and go over the years . Only a place like Salem ,Mass . has an ongoing witch population come and go,and that's because of the history there.

Witches ,per se,don't usually kidnap people . What is the reason for it . Did yours great grand father say ?

It would come down to ,was he abused ,or did she want a kid for some reason,and stole one .

Disturbed people do that kind of stuff .Wether it was a person who practiced witchcraft would be secondary ,unless he was used for a magickal purpose .

Do you know any details. ? Lady Rhea may know something ,but I'm doubting it .

• Like 2

“That all women of whatever age, rank profession or degree, who shall after this Act betray into matrimony any of His Majesty’s subjects by virtue of scents, cosmetics, washes, paints, artificial teeth, false hair or high-heeled shoes, shall incur the penalty of the Law in force against witchcraft and like misdemeanours, on penalty of death.”

(General Assembly of East Jersey 1688)

...............................................................................................................

I've also found this....concerning the genealogy of a James Steelman of Somer's Point....

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~njatlant/documents/steelman-atlanticco-nj.txt

• Like 2

Whenever something bad happens, people like to have someone to blame. Historically, the perfect fall guy has been a witch. Uncle Joe drops dead? It was a witch. Crops fail? Witch. The witches were usually social outcasts or people that were just different and didn't conform to societal norms. But usually, they didn't practice witchcraft. Do you have any more details on this abduction?

• Like 6

Ok sorry I left some minor details out cause I didn't think this many replies would happen,

My grandma is like 72 and her dad was young not a teen yet, so probably late 1800s early 1900s, and the whole kidnap did happen, my grandma said he was gone for three days, and was found make in the woods unconscious. After they got him home and everything settled after a few days, he told his brother and two sisters that a witch toke him, and that's how my Gandma got the story.

But Summers Point was mostly unsettled woods back then so it could happen.

There was a time that anyone unusual would of been labeled a witch, doesn't mean they were.

• Like 4

There was a time that anyone unusual would of been labeled a witch, doesn't mean they were.

I think that Witches were just lonely old ladies who had lost their husbands,and lived on their own,and maybe had a pet (cat/dog/bird in a cage, or whatever for company.They probably were seen by nosy neighbours as they made and stirred a pan of stew,and were accused by spitefull people,of being witches, and anything that happened in a village became their fault. In England during the Middle ages there was witch hunts, and some poor old dear would be picked on, taken by a mob to the local village pond,tied to a chair and submerged in the water for maybe 4/5 minutes,if they survived which rarely happened,they were freed,or if the family could pay the local Lord of the Manor, maybe a cow or a pig ,they were found not guilty and freed.Witch hunts were a regular occurence if you didnt like, or were frightened of an old lady.

Well how many,years we going back here ?

Witches and covens ,come and go over the years . Only a place like Salem ,Mass . has an ongoing witch population come and go,and that's because of the history there.

Witches ,per se,don't usually kidnap people . What is the reason for it . Did yours great grand father say ?

It would come down to ,was he abused ,or did she want a kid for some reason,and stole one .

Disturbed people do that kind of stuff .Wether it was a person who practiced witchcraft would be secondary ,unless he was used for a magickal purpose .

Do you know any details. ? Lady Rhea may know something ,but I'm doubting it .

Hiya Simbi, witches were said to kidnap kids (ref the folk tale of Hansel & Gretel). Fairy tales usually have a basis of truth lost in the mists of time.Some people here are still looking for King Arthur's burial mound said to be at Glastonbury a small town,in Somerset England, its also a favourite place for sighting U.F.O.'s,It has ruins of a castle on top of a hill,and old burial mounds nearby (sorry to divert from the post)

Hiya Simbi, witches were said to kidnap kids (ref the folk tale of Hansel & Gretel). Fairy tales usually have a basis of truth lost in the mists of time.Some people here are still looking for King Arthur's burial mound said to be at Glastonbury a small town,in Somerset England, its also a favourite place for sighting U.F.O.'s,It has ruins of a castle on top of a hill,and old burial mounds nearby (sorry to divert from the post)

Yeah,fairy tales . I know lots of witches .None of them kidnap kids ,or anyone ,to my knowledge .

And even women who were like midwives and shaman ,who could heal with herbs,were called witches .

So...the fact it was just the boy who claimed this,sounds like he did a bad thing ,or ran away and the best cover story to keep from getting into trouble,or getting sympathy ,or both ,is someone bad took him ,and kept him from going home..

I'm dubious ,no offence to the OP. It sounds like a good family story is all .

• Like 1

Just a couple of unrelated facts.

The Linberg baby was kidnapped in New Jersey. Could a witch have did it? Not all witches are the same in all places or eras. I really don't think witches today were at all like witches back then at least when it comes to Neopagans who practically invented most of their practices fairly recently. Folk magic on the other hand remains virtually the same so just depends.

I personally doubt a witch did it but at least we have proof that mysterious kidnappings do take place there. In fact at least one person at that time blamed it on gypsies who had an historical reputation for kidnapping and many at that time considered gypsies as witches. So this could also play a part in your family legend.

Let us not forget the American sacrificed in Matamoros in by narco-witches who practiced Palo. Surely they are not representative of all witches but they do exist.

In 1688 the First General Assembly met in Elizabethtown. They decided that the penalty for both kidnapping and witchcraft was death. So it is perfectly reasonable that persons in the late 1800s or early 1900s still believed that witches were very bad people.

Now if witches did exist in the late 1800s or early 1900s I doubt they are the same kind that Christine O'Donnell was talking about. I did find her remarks of her not being a witch but a normal person like "me or you" as very insensitive and callous towards those outside of her Christian faith even if she was really just talking about Wiccans and not all witches. Mrs. O'Donnell of course was not running for office in New Jersey but that is where she went to high school and dabbled in Wicca or whatever.

The girl who recently faked her own kidnapping by tweeting, "There is someone in my hour ecall 911," was from Jersey. So there is also a history of people lying about their kidnappings in that state too.

Edited by I believe you

• 5 months later...

witches or gypsies kidnapping kids was usually said to keep them in line and do as they are told. There are non witches and gypsies who kidnap kids from maternity wards. They are the sick ones.

• 8 months later...

if you want my opinion pm me......i'm very....how you say......knowledgable about these kind of things.......

• Like 1

if you want my opinion pm me......i'm very....how you say......knowledgable about these kind of things.......

why can't you post it here?
  • Like 2

Welcome to the UM Forums, Sapphire! :)

• Like 1

Good catch on the welcome El :tu: Yep, welcome to UM sapphire :st Most of us are mostly harmless :innocent::sk:devil: Wander around, read the rules, stick around and post a bit in the open threads.

This is a bit of a necrothread, so if you have fresh information on the subject, please share it :)

• Like 1

His future wife perhaps?

3262699-50828972_zpsf85d40eb.png

• Like 5

although it is true that witches kidnap kids.......and that place he metioned was indeed a forest before.....there must have been a reason he was kidnapped by that witch...after all witches don't just take people...ot even kids....trust me..

thank you for the welcomes.....

• Like 1

although it is true that witches kidnap kids.......and that place he metioned was indeed a forest before.....there must have been a reason he was kidnapped by that witch...after all witches don't just take people...ot even kids....trust me..

thank you for the welcomes.....

huh, so they do.... but then they dont?
  • Like 1

although it is true that witches kidnap kids

I'm sure you have documented evidence of this? How many kids go missing each year because of witch kidnappings?
.......and that place he metioned was indeed a forest before.....
That's hardly conclusive evidence though, is it? The fact that a fantastic story about a witch abducting a child and the only corroborating evidence we have so far is that the area was correctly identified as being forest doesn't bode well for the story.
there must have been a reason he was kidnapped by that witch...after all witches don't just take people...ot even kids....trust me..
No offense, but I'll think you'll find that people won't trust you without a reason. Simply appearing in a thread and saying something and declaring it to be true with no other justification than "trust me" is not going to be taken seriously by anybody.
  • Like 2

not trying to sound rude....but i know about this for a reason.....what you dont realize is that i am no younger than what you may call a child........with all due respect....and might i add why i would know.....i live by a forest and children have been disappearing and were found weeks later...some are still missing but because i am one i know where some are....

not trying to sound rude....but i know about this for a reason.....what you dont realize is that i am no younger than what you may call a child........with all due respect....and might i add why i would know.....i live by a forest and children have been disappearing and were found weeks later...some are still missing but because i am one i know where some are....

I'm not sure how to take this. If you are a missing person that knows about kidnapping for a reason and you know where other missing people are... You should be contacting the authorities rather than cryptic posting on an international forum. Seems like you are implying real crimes currently going on and that needs to go to the LEO pronto.

• Like 1