Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

Recent Bill Maher quote on taxes

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#31    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,544 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:08 AM

I would suggest that tax rates should be decided by some independent board (appointed the usual way but with fixed terms).  Then whenever Congress spends money, this board would announce what that would do to the taxes.  Automatic balanced budget (or maybe small deficit depending on economic conditions) and the population would see what each item of spending does to their pocketbook.

#32    preacherman76

preacherman76

Humble Servent

• 10,558 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:13 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 23 March 2013 - 08:10 PM, said:

They could do community service instead. Is three weeks stretched over 52 weeks going to kill someone who is unemployed, or on food stamps, or welfare, or just poor?

I agree for someone on welfare. Otherwise its slavery.

Then again our entire system is based on slavery, and was intentionaly designed that way. Aside from a property tax (and even that I would cut to a fraction of what it is here in NY) if I could get away with it, I wouldnt pay the federal government anything. Corperations should be the only ones paying a federal income tax. Its slavery for the individual. Saying I owe someone else for the right to work is down right amazing.

Some things are true, even if you dont believe them.

#33    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 16,098 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:29 PM

View Postpreacherman76, on 24 March 2013 - 12:13 PM, said:

I agree for someone on welfare. Otherwise its slavery.

Then again our entire system is based on slavery, and was intentionaly designed that way. Aside from a property tax (and even that I would cut to a fraction of what it is here in NY) if I could get away with it, I wouldnt pay the federal government anything. Corperations should be the only ones paying a federal income tax. Its slavery for the individual. Saying I owe someone else for the right to work is down right amazing.

Yeah. You'll go to jail if you don't pay your taxes, so I don't see the difference between that and enforced community service as tax.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#34    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• 7,883 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:38 PM

Bill Maher and Phil Mikleson are both grumbling about the California tax laws.

#35    preacherman76

preacherman76

Humble Servent

• 10,558 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:42 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 24 March 2013 - 03:29 PM, said:

Yeah. You'll go to jail if you don't pay your taxes, so I don't see the difference between that and enforced community service as tax.

The difference is we need local community services. I dont need to bomb several different countries daily. Or any number of things they steal money from me for.

Some things are true, even if you dont believe them.

#36    Yamato

Yamato

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,420 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:37 PM

One's investment in the economy is called work, not giving money to government because of that work.

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#37    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

Is not a number!

• 9,362 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:47 AM

View PostYamato, on 24 March 2013 - 11:37 PM, said:

One's investment in the economy is called work, not giving money to government because of that work.
In a logical world, if people have more money in their pocket, they'll spend more in their community.
Maybe rates could go up without taxes in order to cover road repairs etc.

#38    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 10,914 posts

• "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:13 AM

View PostBabe Ruth, on 23 March 2013 - 08:58 PM, said:

Do you favor our present system?

In general, yes I favor our income tax system as a progressive tax system. If that's what you're referring to.

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#39    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 10,914 posts

• "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:37 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 23 March 2013 - 11:53 PM, said:

What would be unfair about everyone contributing in their own equitable fashion?

since the marginal value  of income declines with the amount of income (the last $100 of income  of a family living near poverty being considerably more valuable than  the last $100 of income of a millionaire), taxing that last $100 of  income the same amount despite vast differences in the marginal value of  money is unfair.

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#40    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• 7,883 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:34 PM

View Postninjadude, on 25 March 2013 - 01:13 AM, said:

In general, yes I favor our income tax system as a progressive tax system. If that's what you're referring to.

I'm no economist at all, but it seems to me that our present tax system has more failings than successes.

#41    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,008 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:46 PM

View PostWickian, on 24 March 2013 - 07:01 AM, said:

Yeah I'm definitely of the opinion that everyone should owe a flat % tax with no loopholes.  The rich will still paying more(which will make liberals happy) and the poor will still contribute(makes the conservatives happy).  The government should then base it's spending on how much revenue it gets, not find ways to manipulate the revenue to pay for things it can't afford.
My idea is similar only that each years budget should be based off of the previous years intake. That way there are no predictions, projections and all the other screw ups. Not that those in charge woul like the constraints but too bad. And anyone who favors living under our current 90,000 pages of tax regulation as opposed to a simple set percentage is a knucklehead.

Posted Image

#42    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 5,428 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:12 PM

I'd like to see something like...  only taxing a household's money  above  that household's cost of living  (the national estimate)  ...   that way those who wish to make more money can pay for the privilege  lol.      

Cost of living should be included in that whole life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness thing.  I don't know.. it's complicated,  i just know that the status quo stinks.

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#43    Yamato

Yamato

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,420 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:16 PM

So long as the simple fixed percentage isn't a non-zero number, I'll stamp it 'knucklehead-free'.

We don't need a Federal Reserve.  We don't need a personal income tax.  We don't need price fixers from Washington DC.   We don't need chronic inflation.   We don't need a country driven by federal government anymore.   We should be driven by passionate individuals and groups of individuals who are free enough to capitalize upon their own great ideas.  The way to stop China's rapid rise to ascendancy is to be freer than they are.  We will be a nation of has-beens on our current course.  

A flat tax won't eliminate 90,000 pages it'll create 90,000 more chasing after the mess of additional loopholes that will follow.   It'll turn the game even more in favor of the rich and against the poor than it already is.  I don't want to reward wealth on a relative basis, I want to reward freedom and ideas on an absolute basis.   The more Americans that are working and living tax free the better.   Ideas like "all Americans should pay some taxes" are Statist.

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#44    Kowalski

Kowalski

The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

• 4,102 posts

• It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:24 PM

I just found out my in laws, who are self employed, are going to have to pay $5,000 in taxes! My FIL is a plumber and my MIL cleans houses. What kinda money do they think they make? Seriously...
Two years ago they had an audit. It was complete BS. When the whole thing was over, the IRS never apologized to them for inconviencing them or anything. The whole thing really upset my MIL because they were always so ugly and hostile to them.

Edited by Kowalski, 25 March 2013 - 05:25 PM.

#45    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• 7,883 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:00 PM

In 2011 I paid more income taxes than General Electric did, and there is something fundamentally wrong about that.

In general terms I am against the "income tax" as it has evolved today since the adoption of the 16th Amendment from which it is derived.  When the 16th was passed, a man's wages WERE NOT considered income.  Income came from an investment such as real estate.  Wages WERE NOT income.

The income tax tends to make a person become less productive.  Why work harder, when in the end it means one pays more taxes?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users