Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

What book did you buy?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1    GoSC

GoSC

HOSEA 1:10; 2:23

• 2,615 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:49 AM

This may be a sister thread to "What Are You Reading?" (The latter which I feel deserves to be a sticky thread btw.)

Here are the list of books I bought recently:

Terror By Night - Ambrose Bierce (51 classic ghost and horror stories)

A Charlie Chan Omnibus - Earl Derr Biggers (contains the first 3 of 6 Charlie Chan books penned by the author)

Tales Of Unease - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

The Haunter Of The Ring & Other Tales - Robert E Howard (a 416 page volume of the pulp writer's supernatural and horror stories)

The Right Hand Of Doom & Other Tales Of Solomon Kane - Robert E Howard (contains all ten SK tales ever penned by REH)

Dead Of Night - The Ghost Stories Of Oliver Onions (a whopping 672 pages)

These are all Wordsworth Editions and are relatively inexpensive for a variety of Victorian and Edwardian ghost story and mystery writers there is even some weird fiction and pulp offerings too.

I wanted to buy  the E.F. Benson, Lafcadio Hearn, Matthew Lewis, and Ann Radcliffe books but my dollar had been stretched well enough.

Here is their site: http://wordsworth-ed...-&-supernatural

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

#2    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,933 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:57 AM

My latest book purchase was Les Miserables.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#3    GoSC

GoSC

• 2,615 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:29 PM

Night Terrors - The Ghost Stories Of E F Benson (a whopping 720 pages!)

The Black Camel - Earl Derr Biggers (4th Charlie Chan book)

Keeper Of The Keys - Earl Derr Biggers (6th Charlie Chan Book)

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

#4    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,046 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:41 PM

A Song of Fire and Ice first four books.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#5    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Facebook Fiend

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

• Your blood's worth bottling!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:04 PM

John Lancaster: Capital
Craig Robertson: Cold Grave

Because books are so dirt cheap at Tesco I suffer from bouts of impulse buying.
I've got about 320 that have not been read yet so that's a lot of ornaments.
I'm always admiring their aesthetic beauty which is why it's important to save the printed word.
I've been known to stroke then now and again in admiration but I never find the time to read then.
It's a crying shame really.

Edited by Medium Brown, 12 January 2013 - 08:06 PM.

Swindon Town:  Division Two Champions 2011-12.
Proud member of Macdonald's Red Army since 1989.
Up the Robins!

#6    GoSC

GoSC

• 2,615 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:15 PM

View PostHasina, on 12 January 2013 - 07:41 PM, said:

A Song of Fire and Ice first four books.

The first three are truly awesome and epic books. I started on the series right before A Storm Of Swords hit the bookshelves. But havent finished the series due to the length of time it took for GRRM to get the 4th book published.

View PostMedium Brown, on 12 January 2013 - 08:04 PM, said:

John Lancaster: Capital
Craig Robertson: Cold Grave

Because books are so dirt cheap at Tesco I suffer from bouts of impulse buying.
I've got about 320 that have not been read yet so that's a lot of ornaments.
I'm always admiring their aesthetic beauty which is why it's important to save the printed word.
I've been known to stroke then now and again in admiration but I never find the time to read then.
It's a crying shame really.

I am a compulsive book buyer too especially when I find bargain. I have 2-3 boxes of unread books stored away. I just went on a two-day spree bought 9 books for a total of $63.60, that averages roughly to $7.07 a book and 2 were trade paperbacks. Christmas giftcards! :yes:

#7    Hasina

Hasina

• 3,046 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:18 PM

View PostAmbush Bug, on 12 January 2013 - 08:15 PM, said:

The first three are truly awesome and epic books. I started on the series right before A Storm Of Swords hit the bookshelves. But havent finished the series due to the length of time it took for GRRM to get the 4th book published.

One of my friends has been trying to get me interested in the series, he failed with the TV show since I wasn't interested in watching fantasy driven smut.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#8    GoSC

GoSC

• 2,615 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:25 PM

View PostHasina, on 12 January 2013 - 08:18 PM, said:

One of my friends has been trying to get me interested in the series, he failed with the TV show since I wasn't interested in watching fantasy driven smut.

I was once that way, attempted to get some friends to read the series and turned two friends into huge GRRM fans. Nowadays I could care less. From what I understand the series reached its peak with book 3 and it has all gone downhill from there. Now the plot moves extremely slow with tons of filler and more filler (like what Jordan's 23 year epic had become).

#9    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,933 posts

Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:14 PM

My most recent book purchase in There's One in Your Neighborhood: The Lost Movie Theatres of New Orleans

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#10    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,933 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:15 PM

View PostHasina, on 12 January 2013 - 08:18 PM, said:

You're no fun Hasina. :P I read two of the books and got fed up with the snail's pace of the whole story. One book covers one week at best. It's bloody annoying!

#11    Hasina

Hasina

• 3,046 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

View PostLady Kasey, on 15 January 2013 - 02:15 PM, said:

You're no fun Hasina. :P I read two of the books and got fed up with the snail's pace of the whole story. One book covers one week at best. It's bloody annoying!
I like story's that take their time! (No surprise I'm a fan of Homestuck then). I was told about the TV series that the one time their sexual deeds wasn't done in doggy style, it was a plot point.

Try reading the Gunslinger, first book of the Dark Tower series, for the first part of the book you go backwards, a flash back THEN a flashback IN a flashback.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#12    HDesiato

HDesiato

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:28 PM

Mistakes Were Made (But Not by Me): Why We Justify Foolish Beliefs, Bad Decisions, and Hurtful Acts
Carol Tavris, Elliot Aronson
I listened to an interview with Carol Tavris and the book seems like something I might enjoy.
It covers the theory of cognitive dissonance.

#13    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Facebook Fiend

• 1,113 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:10 PM

David Wong: This Book Is Full Of Spiders.
David Brin: Existence

I've decided to have a go at arachnophobia and space opera.

Up the Robins!

#14    Urisk

Urisk

Smiling like a killer

• 1,503 posts

• born to lose
    live to win

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:55 PM

Picked up the Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb second hand over Christmas as they were highly recommended by a close friend.

I'll fair give it a go anyway once I've finished 1984.

Posted Image

I have seen beyond the bounds of infinity and drawn down daemons from the stars

#15    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Facebook Fiend

• 1,113 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:46 PM

I've bought a couple of John Birmingham books...
After America and Angels of Vengeance.
However I'm a bit miffed I didn't get the one that set the ball rolling on this trilogy.
So like  the fourth Mira Grant zombie book,Without Warning is on my wish list.
This is worth mentioning because he's got an accredited Wikpedia page.
That gives me an indication on how disposable it's going to be.
However I hope this trilogy of books isn't part of the John Patterson principle.
What with him having his own Wikipedia page as well.
I do want some intelligent writing not short chapters.

Edited by Medium Brown, 08 March 2013 - 01:47 PM.

Up the Robins!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users