Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


* * * * * 2 votes

Soy Sauce Overdose Sends Teen Into Coma


  • Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1    ozman

ozman

    Apparition

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Joined:18 Aug 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Minneapolis, MN

  • techlivewire.com is my main site.

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:18 PM

A 19-year-old survived a dangerous sodium overdose after drinking more than a quart of soy sauce on a dare, according to a case study in the Journal of Emergency Medicine.
After drinking a quart of the sodium-heavy condiment, the teenager slipped into coma with seizure-like activity. He was rushed to the hospital, where doctors determined he was suffering from hypernatremia, a metabolic condition in which there is a salt imbalance in the bodily fluids.
Eventually doctors determined that he had ingested 160 to 170 grams of sodium from the soy sauce, a potentially lethal dose for his weight and build. He had effectively overdosed on sodium.
“He didn’t respond to any of the stimuli that we gave him,” Dr. David J. Carlberg, who treated the patient as an emergency room physician at University of Virginia Medical Center, told LiveScience.“He had some clonus, which is just elevated reflexes. It’s a sign that basically the nervous system wasn’t working very well.”

Edited by ozman, 09 June 2013 - 08:18 PM.

Posted Image

#2    Kowalski

Kowalski

    The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

  • Member
  • 4,102 posts
  • Joined:14 Mar 2013
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:* Madgascar *

  • It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:31 PM

Glad he's doing better, but that was incredibly stupid. Soy sauce has tons of sodium and MSG in it, which is why I use an imitation of it called Amino Acids that I get at a health food store. You can't tell the difference, and it's MUCH better for you.


#3    Ashotep

Ashotep

    Telekinetic

  • Member
  • 7,088 posts
  • Joined:10 May 2011
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:USA

  • Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:03 PM

While I like soy sauce in some dishes I don't see how he stood the taste.  Glad he is doing better.

I don't think some people realize just how much sodium is in it.

Kowalski I might try that if I can find it here.


#4    Wickian

Wickian

    Doppelganger

  • Member
  • 3,409 posts
  • Joined:11 May 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Lake Elsinore, CA

  • Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:12 PM

I ate an entire package of lemon-lime Lucas(lemon flavored salt pretty much) on a dare once.  I ground two of my lower teeth relatively flat as a teenager by then and eating that much acidity at once that I couldn't eat any food that was larger than my incisors for 3 days.


#5    Kowalski

Kowalski

    The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

  • Member
  • 4,102 posts
  • Joined:14 Mar 2013
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:* Madgascar *

  • It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:28 PM

View PostHilander, on 09 June 2013 - 09:03 PM, said:

While I like soy sauce in some dishes I don't see how he stood the taste.  Glad he is doing better.

I don't think some people realize just how much sodium is in it.

Kowalski I might try that if I can find it here.

Here's a website explaining what it is: http://bragg.com/products/la.html

I like it much better than soy sauce. So much healthier, too.


#6    Ashotep

Ashotep

    Telekinetic

  • Member
  • 7,088 posts
  • Joined:10 May 2011
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:USA

  • Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:59 PM

View PostKowalski, on 09 June 2013 - 09:28 PM, said:

Here's a website explaining what it is: http://bragg.com/products/la.html

I like it much better than soy sauce. So much healthier, too.
Thanks for the link.  If a recipe calls for soy it usually doesn't call for salt, would this be used the same way.

Edited by Hilander, 09 June 2013 - 11:01 PM.


#7    third_eye

third_eye

    _ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

  • Member
  • 6,664 posts
  • Joined:06 Nov 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Malaysia

  • "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

    God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:12 PM

real soy as traditional soy ... and is not the chemically 'enhanced' for longer shelf life ... I believe the brand Yeo's is available in most western markets

Posted Image

link

there are many types of soy for various type of cooking ... from light to syrupy ... from salty to light and sweet ... Yeo's is a safe bet and reliable

but the chinese chefs likes the proper old china/hong kong/taiwan brands .... something cottage industry for the authentic taste but it is not that necessary for the western palate

~

The knower and the known are one. Simple people imagine that they should see God, as if He stood there and they here. This is not so. God and I, we are one in knowledge. ~ Eckhart

~

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer


#8    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

    5:55

  • Member
  • 3,152 posts
  • Joined:21 Jun 2012
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Under Fire

  • No two caterpillars share the same cocoon.

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:18 PM

View PostKowalski, on 09 June 2013 - 08:31 PM, said:

Glad he's doing better, but that was incredibly stupid. Soy sauce has tons of sodium and MSG in it, which is why I use an imitation of it called Amino Acids that I get at a health food store. You can't tell the difference, and it's MUCH better for you.

It may be stupid but my guess is he had no idea he could O.D. on soy sauce.

The letter kills but The Spirit gives life. 2 Corinthians 3:6

Non-ambiguity and non-contradiction are one sided and thus unsuited to express the incomprehensible. -Jung

#9    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

    5:55

  • Member
  • 3,152 posts
  • Joined:21 Jun 2012
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Under Fire

  • No two caterpillars share the same cocoon.

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:19 PM

View Postthird_eye, on 09 June 2013 - 11:12 PM, said:

real soy as traditional soy ... and is not the chemically 'enhanced' for longer shelf life ... I believe the brand Yeo's is available in most western markets

Posted Image

link

there are many types of soy for various type of cooking ... from light to syrupy ... from salty to light and sweet ... Yeo's is a safe bet and reliable

but the chinese chefs likes the proper old china/hong kong/taiwan brands .... something cottage industry for the authentic taste but it is not that necessary for the western palate

~

The most popular where I'm from is Kikkoman.

The letter kills but The Spirit gives life. 2 Corinthians 3:6

Non-ambiguity and non-contradiction are one sided and thus unsuited to express the incomprehensible. -Jung

#10    third_eye

third_eye

    _ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

  • Member
  • 6,664 posts
  • Joined:06 Nov 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Malaysia

  • "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

    God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:24 PM

View PostSpiritWriter, on 09 June 2013 - 11:19 PM, said:

The most popular where I'm from is Kikkoman.

Yeah ... that's the high end stuff ... :lol:

I love those too but for cooking it does tend to overpower the naturalness of a dish ... depends on what I am cooking I guess ... :tu:

~

The knower and the known are one. Simple people imagine that they should see God, as if He stood there and they here. This is not so. God and I, we are one in knowledge. ~ Eckhart

~

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer


#11    BiffSplitkins

BiffSplitkins

    Vertically Challenged

  • Member
  • 6,935 posts
  • Joined:09 Aug 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Home of 'The Orange'

  • We all have a song inside us, it tells us who we are.

    'John Doeber' fellow musician

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:30 PM

View PostSpiritWriter, on 09 June 2013 - 11:18 PM, said:

It may be stupid but my guess is he had no idea he could O.D. on soy sauce.
Hell, I didn't even know you can OD on soy sauce.

View Postthird_eye, on 09 June 2013 - 11:24 PM, said:

I love those too but for cooking it does tend to overpower the naturalness of a dish ... depends on what I am cooking I guess ... :tu:
~
I always mix soy sauce into my hamburger mix when making patties for the grill. It's pretty good in my homemade chicken marinades as well.

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Posted Image


#12    Ryu

Ryu

    Born to fail.

  • Member
  • 3,100 posts
  • Joined:17 Dec 2010
  • Gender:Not Selected
  • Location:Where you'll never find me

  • I don't want to believe; I want to know.

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:41 PM

How could anyone even stand the onslaught of such a salty thing?
I mean, I like salty stuff but drinking soy sauce? That would kill off my taste buds for the next several years.

But then again when I was little I would eat a bouillon cube, or at least half of it, because i craved the salt so much so I guess I can understand...sort of.

As a side-note it would be nice to find a soy sauce that is authentic and hasn't been altered to appeal to western tastes.
This is my beef with most Chinese and Japanese restaurants here in the U.S...it has been so modified and altered that it no longer resembles the real thing.

Posted Image If you could go to my scroll and click my other egg, I'd appreciate it!
Visit my Forest of Mirrors Hold
My Tale of Dragons Lair

#13    BiffSplitkins

BiffSplitkins

    Vertically Challenged

  • Member
  • 6,935 posts
  • Joined:09 Aug 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Home of 'The Orange'

  • We all have a song inside us, it tells us who we are.

    'John Doeber' fellow musician

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:58 PM

View PostRyu, on 10 June 2013 - 12:41 PM, said:

But then again when I was little I would eat a bouillon cube, or at least half of it, because i craved the salt so much so I guess I can understand...sort of.

LOL - I thought I was the only one that did that. I still LOVE salt and crave it all the time. Fortunately, my blood pressure is just fine even with the amount of salty foods that I eat.

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Posted Image


#14    Kowalski

Kowalski

    The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

  • Member
  • 4,102 posts
  • Joined:14 Mar 2013
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:* Madgascar *

  • It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:04 PM

View PostBiffSplitkins, on 10 June 2013 - 12:58 PM, said:

LOL - I thought I was the only one that did that. I still LOVE salt and crave it all the time. Fortunately, my blood pressure is just fine even with the amount of salty foods that I eat.

You're lucky. My husband has high blood pressure, and we have to watch the salt intake. Which is why I use Braggs.


#15    Still Waters

Still Waters

    Deeply Mysterious

  • 35,911 posts
  • Joined:01 Jun 2008
  • Gender:Female

  • Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:53 PM

Some people will do anything for a dare without thinking or realising how dangerous they can be.

In this case it's possible he didn't know it could be so harmful as it does sound unusual. I'm thinking perhaps if the soy sauce had been consumed on or with food instead of just being drank, it might not have affected him the same.

Posted Image




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users