Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 4 votes

Help clarify this Hy-Brasil/Atlantis thing?

• Please log in to reply
166 replies to this topic

#16    booNyzarC

booNyzarC

Forum Divinity

• Closed
  • 13,536 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 05:24 AM

I have to agree that the event which drew you to this topic was probably fake, but the topic itself is truly interesting.  Hy-Brasil seems to be a true mystery.  I look forward to seeing any additional information people uncover about this mysterious island from antiquity.

In the mean time...  may Santana rock on! :tu:

#17    Mangoze

Mangoze

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 06:11 AM

Did you google the coordiates yourself?

#18    Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen

El Lobo

• 1,990 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 06:56 AM

View PostbooNyzarC, on 08 January 2011 - 05:24 AM, said:

I have to agree that the event which drew you to this topic was probably fake, but the topic itself is truly interesting.  Hy-Brasil seems to be a true mystery.  I look forward to seeing any additional information people uncover about this mysterious island from antiquity.

In the mean time...  may Santana rock on! :tu:

There is A LOT of room for this one. I am at peace with the possibility of finding that Hy-Brasil never existed, there is just so much room to research and speculate that it would be worth it.

As for Santana... His guitar sounds good with anything. Imagine Santana playing along with Beethoven's ninth. Wouldn't that be awesome?

Edited by Thesantanafan, 08 January 2011 - 06:58 AM.

Life is too short to waste on responsibilities. :)

#19    booNyzarC

booNyzarC

Forum Divinity

• Closed
  • 13,536 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 07:05 AM

Beyond awesome mate.  If you could hook that up in a concert, I'd be there. :tu:

#20    Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen

El Lobo

• 1,990 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 12:44 AM

Posted Image
I looked into the bathymetry of the area.
The porcupine bank is the most significant thing there. I would like to think that it had been altered at some point by earthquakes or some other phenomenon, and that is possible that at some point a part of it could have been above the water.

However, I can't any indication that the oceanographic community has ever acknowledged such a possibility. I am going to look into it more, but any help would be much appreciated.  :D

#21    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,074 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 09 January 2011 - 04:43 PM

Don't know what to think of this, but the next suggests the island was known many ages ago:

New Map of England and Ireland
This map was based on information in geographer, Claudius Ptolemy's Geographia from the 2nd century A.D.

http://www.corbisima...AABR004692.html

Posted Image

#22    Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen

El Lobo

• 1,990 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 07:07 PM

There it is! Great find!
I'm really starting the think that this could have been a part of the porcupine bank.
It's one thing if it keeps showing up in stories, it's another thing entirely when it keeps showing up on MAPS.

And something I just found,
A book in which somebody researched the plausibility of the existence of Hy-Brasil and five other phantom islands. It's inexpensive and I'm tempted to order it, but I'm not sure.
The reviews indicate that he mainly addresses the cartography and probably believes the islands to have never existed, but I'm still convinced that the porcupine bank provides a plausiblee explanation.

Edited by Thesantanafan, 09 January 2011 - 07:18 PM.

#23    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,074 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 07:40 PM

View PostThesantanafan, on 09 January 2011 - 07:07 PM, said:

There it is! Great find!
I'm really starting the think that this could have been a part of the porcupine bank.
It's one thing if it keeps showing up in stories, it's another thing entirely when it keeps showing up on MAPS.

And something I just found,
A book in which somebody researched the plausibility of the existence of Hy-Brasil and five other phantom islands. It's inexpensive and I'm tempted to order it, but I'm not sure.
The reviews indicate that he mainly addresses the cartography and probably believes the islands to have never existed, but I'm still convinced that the porcupine bank provides a plausiblee explanation.

Maybe you are interested in this post of mine: Porcupine Seabight

But don't forget to read the subsequent posts in that thread...

#24    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 16,356 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 09 January 2011 - 07:55 PM

This video covers the subject...

http://worldnewstige...n-message/2978/
Most of what they state as FACT in the video is highly speculative and most I can't even find references on, on the internet. Such as that these Hy-brasilian people had advanced technology.

Here is a screen shot of the coordinates from the video.
Attached File  New Picture.JPG   18.22K   7 downloads

I think, personally, that this code was made by someone as a hoax. The guy in the video says someone would have to be a super-genius to figure out how to put this message into a binary code. But from my College classes, 13 years ago, I can say that just about any first year computer studies student could create such a code.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#25    Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen

El Lobo

• 1,990 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 08:23 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 09 January 2011 - 07:55 PM, said:

This video covers the subject...

http://worldnewstige...n-message/2978/
Most of what they state as FACT in the video is highly speculative and most I can't even find references on, on the internet. Such as that these Hy-brasilian people had advanced technology.

Here is a screen shot of the coordinates from the video.
Attachment New Picture.JPG

I think, personally, that this code was made by someone as a hoax. The guy in the video says someone would have to be a super-genius to figure out how to put this message into a binary code. But from my College classes, 13 years ago, I can say that just about any first year computer studies student could create such a code.
We moved past the binary code, that was really just what exposed me to Hy-Brasil. I agree with you, it is pretty fishy, and those cheesy History Channel alien investigation shows are not always to be completely trusted.
If the island existed, it's elusiveness would lead to exaggerated descriptions anyways. That's how it always goes when travelers find an exotic location, they exaggerate the hell out of it.

#26    TheSearcher

TheSearcher

Coffee expert extraordinair

• 3,845 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 08:49 AM

I thought the names Brazil and Hy-Brazil came from the Irish Uí Breasail, meaning "descendants (or even clan) of Breasal"? Breasal being one of the ancient clans of northeastern Ireland.

It is only the ignorant who despise education.
Publilius Syrus.

So god made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?!

#27    Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen

El Lobo

• 1,990 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 06:54 PM

View PostTheSearcher, on 10 January 2011 - 08:49 AM, said:

I thought the names Brazil and Hy-Brazil came from the Irish Uí Breasail, meaning "descendants (or even clan) of Breasal"? Breasal being one of the ancient clans of northeastern Ireland.
There are a bunch of possible origins for the name, we can't be sure which although yours does sound plausible.

#28    Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen

El Lobo

• 1,990 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 06:59 PM

View PostAbramelin, on 09 January 2011 - 07:40 PM, said:

Maybe you are interested in this post of mine: Porcupine Seabight

But don't forget to read the subsequent posts in that thread...
Man, I was having a lot of trouble finding good maps of the area. I wish I had seen your thread earlier.
I like this one especially:
Posted Image

Some of the other phantom islands could also have been real! I'm going to read your thread a bit more now...

#29    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,074 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 07:20 PM

View PostThesantanafan, on 10 January 2011 - 06:59 PM, said:

Man, I was having a lot of trouble finding good maps of the area. I wish I had seen your thread earlier.
I like this one especially:
Posted Image

Some of the other phantom islands could also have been real! I'm going to read your thread a bit more now...

Lol, it's not 'my' thread, but Riaan's. I will bet he has a few maps you'd like. And the map you copied is his too.

Maybe this is a good map of the area:

Posted Image

And a couple of links:

http://www.awi.de/fi...workingarea.png

http://www.awi.de/en...nd_course_plot/

http://www.thefullwi...rg/Rockall_Bank

Edited by Abramelin, 10 January 2011 - 07:38 PM.

#30    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 16,356 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:06 PM

View PostThesantanafan, on 09 January 2011 - 08:23 PM, said:

We moved past the binary code, that was really just what exposed me to Hy-Brasil. I agree with you, it is pretty fishy, and those cheesy History Channel alien investigation shows are not always to be completely trusted.
If the island existed, it's elusiveness would lead to exaggerated descriptions anyways. That's how it always goes when travelers find an exotic location, they exaggerate the hell out of it.
I did read that it was called "Brazil Rock" in the 1800s and was considered to exist where the Porcipine Bank is. It could very well have been a intermitant shoal or mudbank.

I'm not against there being lost islands, but the idea that there are aliens sending signals to look for lost technology on hy-brasil makes me cring.

I know for a Fact that the island was found in 1989 in a "documentary" called Erik the Viking.  :devil:

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users