Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

Lance Armstrong accused of doping

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#16    Splodgenessabounds

Splodgenessabounds

The Artful Splodger

• 2,226 posts

• Who is Keyser Söze?

Posted 26 August 2012 - 09:29 AM

I love Lance, the guy is a true sporting great, unfortunately I fear the allegations may turn out to be true.  Lance was cycling in the EPO era, when virtually every rider was taking PED's, if you look at the top 5 riders from each of his tour wins it's 4 drug cheats and Lance on top.

The Laboratoire national de dépistage du dopage de Châtenay-Malabry (LNDD) did find EPO in his samples taken from the '99 Tour de France back in 2006 when trialling the new EPO drug tests, but whether the tests were carried out properly has been in dispute ever since.

He worked with a certain Dr. Michele Ferrari as part of the US Postal Service Team up until 2004.  Ferrari was banned for life by the USADA for helping numerous cyclists dope.

And let's not forget Marion Jones never failed a drugs test, she was only caught after having to admit under oath that she took PEDs during the BALCO scandal.

We'll learn more once Johan Bruyneel, US Postals director during the Lance era, takes the stand at the USADA for charges relating to the administration and trafficking of prohibited substances.

I hope the allegations are false, Lance is by definition an All-American hero for what he came through and it would just be horrible to see his reputation in tatters, if it isn't already.

Edited by Splodgenessabounds, 26 August 2012 - 09:36 AM.

"It doesn't matter if it is a black cat or a white cat.  As long as it can catch mice, it's a good cat."
Deng Xiaoping

"Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There are rules."
Walter Sobchak - The Big Lebowski

#17    Splodgenessabounds

Splodgenessabounds

The Artful Splodger

• 2,226 posts

• Who is Keyser Söze?

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:53 PM

Just to show how affected he is by the controversy, he came second in a 36-mile mountain bike race!

http://www.guardian....lance-armstrong

What a guy!

"It doesn't matter if it is a black cat or a white cat.  As long as it can catch mice, it's a good cat."
Deng Xiaoping

"Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There are rules."
Walter Sobchak - The Big Lebowski

#18    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,510 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:06 PM

"The unidentified witnesses said they knew or had been told by Armstrong himself that he had “used EPO, blood transfusions, testosterone and cortisone” from before 1998 through 2005, and that he had previously used EPO, testosterone and Human Growth Hormone through 1996, USADA said. Armstrong also allegedly handed out doping products and encouraged banned methods — and even used “blood manipulation including EPO or blood transfusions” during his 2009 comeback race on the Tour.

In all, USADA said up to 10 former Armstrong teammates were set to testify against him. Included in the case were e-mails sent by Floyd Landis, who was stripped of the 2006 Tour de France title for doping, describing an elaborate doping program on Armstrong’s Postal Service teams, and Tyler Hamilton’s interview with “60 Minutes” claiming had personal knowledge of Armstrong doping.

Had Armstrong chosen to pursue arbitration, USADA said, all the evidence would have been available for him to challenge.

“He chose not to do this knowing these sanctions would immediately be put into place,” the statement said."

The man is a cheat and a fraud...

#19    supervike

supervike

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,500 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:26 AM

Yep, I'm afraid that doping in the cycling world was (is) rampant.

I saw a report on who would get the 'championship' if Lance's titles were pulled.  Turns out almost every bike that finished 2, or 3rd in ALL the races were also linking heavily to doping.

Personally, I think he probably cheated.  It would be harder to believe he didn't cheat on any of those races, while beating cyclists that did.

#20    Rob Awesome

Rob Awesome

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 319 posts

• If we don't have an apocolypse soon I'll have to find work

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:36 AM

I think we should start embracing the horrors and have an all-doping league for every sport, a place where absolutely anything goes.  When there is a ton of money and fame on the line then we'll see some great advances in medicine  Plus it'd be a helluva show.

The "mean to"s make an unhappy one

#21    Left-Field

Left-Field

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,489 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 02:11 AM

View PostProfessor Buzzkill, on 25 August 2012 - 09:13 PM, said:

USADA: Up To 10 Former Lance Armstrong Teammates Were Set To Testify Against Him

They admit taking enhancements themselves with Armstrong (they also never failed a test). I don't like slander anymore then the next guy, but now we will never hear their testimony.

There will likely be books written by at least one of these teammates detailing what they know regarding Armstrong's use of performance enhancing drugs, etc.

These same people may also be called to testify in other trials relating to the matter in which Armstrong's name may come up.

I'm a supporter of anyone that has the strength and the will to battle cancer whether they overcome it or not. In knowing that he fought, and beat it, I personally don't care if he had or hadn't cheated when it comes to his cycling accomplishments.

That said, I'm not personally involved in the sport, nor do I follow it.

If I was one of the athletes who competed against him, and I did so without cheating, I would likely want to know the truth regarding this issue and I'd also likely be bothered if I came to the belief that the man accomplished the feats he had within the sport by way of performance enhancing drugs and / or other means of cheating.

People can claim it's a witch-hunt, but when 10 former teammates are willing to go on record stating they witnessed Armstrong use and / or discuss his use of performance enhancing drugs (or other methods of cheating) I tend to think otherwise.

#22    Walter White

Walter White

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 139 posts
  • Location:United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

• "He will regret it but once, and that will be continuously." - J.E.B. Stuart

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:08 PM

View PostRob Awesome, on 28 August 2012 - 01:36 AM, said:

I think we should start embracing the horrors and have an all-doping league for every sport, a place where absolutely anything goes.  When there is a ton of money and fame on the line then we'll see some great advances in medicine  Plus it'd be a helluva show.
Plus a lot of athletes would die or suffer severe physical ailments or debilitations due to health complications brought on by using performance enhancing drugs.  They're not just banned because it's against the spirit of the sport.

View Postsupervike, on 28 August 2012 - 01:26 AM, said:

Yep, I'm afraid that doping in the cycling world was (is) rampant.
It's getting better, the last two winners, Cadel Evans and Bradley Wiggins (Lord Wiggo to you!!!) are clean cyclists and the times set this year are much less than what they were when drug use was rampant.  A long way still to go admittedly but cycling is getting a sense of respectability again.

Edited by Walter White, 28 August 2012 - 07:13 PM.

"I can anticipate no greater calamity for the country than the dissolution of the Union.  It would be an accumulation of all the evils we complain of, and I am willing to sacrifice everything but honor for it's preservation." - General Robert E. Lee

"I think I understand what military fame is; to be killed on the field of battle and have your name misspelled in the newspapers." - Major General William Tecumseh Sherman

#23    Rob Awesome

Rob Awesome

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:25 PM

Yeah, I know athletes will be harmed but this is both science and entertainment I think that far outweighs the negatives.  (JK of course)

Besides who has better access to medical help than athletes?  We'll just patch them up and get 'em back in the game.

#24    Walter White

Walter White

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 139 posts
  • Location:United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

• "He will regret it but once, and that will be continuously." - J.E.B. Stuart

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:55 PM

View PostRob Awesome, on 29 August 2012 - 04:25 PM, said:

Yeah, I know athletes will be harmed but this is both science and entertainment I think that far outweighs the negatives.  (JK of course)

Besides who has better access to medical help than athletes?  We'll just patch them up and get 'em back in the game.
:D

Forgive me, I went a bit holier-than-thou on you in my earlier comment.  

I must concede, from a libertarian angle, there'd be a good argument for an all-doping league.  The athletes are adults, if they're aware of the risks and accept them, why shouldn't they be allowed to compete against other doped up athletes?

Not for me though.

:)

"I can anticipate no greater calamity for the country than the dissolution of the Union.  It would be an accumulation of all the evils we complain of, and I am willing to sacrifice everything but honor for it's preservation." - General Robert E. Lee

"I think I understand what military fame is; to be killed on the field of battle and have your name misspelled in the newspapers." - Major General William Tecumseh Sherman

#25    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,596 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:59 PM

View PostWalter White, on 29 August 2012 - 09:55 PM, said:

:D

Forgive me, I went a bit holier-than-thou on you in my earlier comment.  

I must concede, from a libertarian angle, there'd be a good argument for an all-doping league.  The athletes are adults, if they're aware of the risks and accept them, why shouldn't they be allowed to compete against other doped up athletes?

Not for me though.

:)

It would not be a bad idea to have the Olympics, the special  Olympics and the Frankenstein Olympics, in the latter Pfizer could compete against Sanofi and Bayer and .....

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#26    Rob Awesome

Rob Awesome

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:25 AM

They wouldn't need to stop at pharmaceuticals, genetic manipulation, implants, cybernetics... medical science could jump ahead decades, at least until the mutated, semi-cyborg athletes rise up with their superhuman powers and overthrow us.

#27    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,785 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:57 PM

You can't seem to trust heroes these days.

http://www.foxnews.c...rmstrong-probe/

#28    supervike

supervike

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,500 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:04 AM

He's a cheater.

He knowingly, willingly, and purposefully did what he could to break the rules and gain a competitive advantage.

But I suppose it's all water under the bridge now.  He's doing some very good work now, but I think he should be stripped of all his wins.

#29    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 12,593 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:57 AM

how brave of all those people to stand up now after the fact and not, I dunno WHILE HE WAS STILL RACING/CHEATING ...

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#30    Habitat

Habitat

Government Agent

• 3,389 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:28 AM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 12 October 2012 - 09:57 AM, said:

how brave of all those people to stand up now after the fact and not, I dunno WHILE HE WAS STILL RACING/CHEATING ...
I recall at least as far back as 2005 his former masseur accused him of being a drug cheat, so there is a fairly long history of allegations.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users