Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Facebook Co-Founder quits US citizenship

eduardo saverin facebook citizenship taxes

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,787 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 12 May 2012 - 04:55 PM

Bloomberg said:

Eduardo Saverin, the billionaire co- founder of Facebook Inc. (FB), renounced his U.S. citizenship before an initial public offering that values the social network at as much as $96 billion, a move that may reduce his tax bill.
Facebook plans to raise as much as $11.8 billion through the IPO, the biggest in history for an Internet company. Saverin’s stake is about 4 percent, according to the website whoownsfacebook.com. At the high end of the proposed IPO market capitalization, that would be worth about $3.84 billion. His holdings aren’t listed in Facebook’s regulatory filings.

Read more

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#2    Mentalcase

Mentalcase

Space Cadet

• 5,369 posts

• Most Thugish Member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 12 May 2012 - 05:04 PM

So he's moving to make more money? I think the US better make an example of this.

http://ancientaliensdebunked.com/  <~Ancient Aliens DEBUNKED!
I think that it is much more likely that the reports of flying saucers are the results of the known irrational characteristics of terrestrial intelligence than of the unknown rational efforts of extra-terrestrial intelligence ~Richard Feynman http://www.myspace.com/7leafclover

#3    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,787 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 12 May 2012 - 05:09 PM

View PostMentalcase, on 12 May 2012 - 05:04 PM, said:

So he's moving to make more money? I think the US better make an example of this.

I have news for him: You are liable for US taxes up to 10 years AFTER you quit citizenship :devil:

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#4    Mentalcase

Mentalcase

Space Cadet

• 5,369 posts

• Most Thugish Member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 12 May 2012 - 05:20 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 12 May 2012 - 05:09 PM, said:

I have news for him: You are liable for US taxes up to 10 years AFTER you quit citizenship :devil:

That makes me feel good. :)

http://ancientaliensdebunked.com/  <~Ancient Aliens DEBUNKED!
I think that it is much more likely that the reports of flying saucers are the results of the known irrational characteristics of terrestrial intelligence than of the unknown rational efforts of extra-terrestrial intelligence ~Richard Feynman http://www.myspace.com/7leafclover

#5    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• Closed
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 06:36 PM

The article tells the details of the appropriate tax rules in his case.  Deferments and interest rates.

Not only that, but the number of people renouncing their citizenship has increased from 235 in 2008 to 1780 in 2011.

Interesting story.

#6    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 15,598 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:21 PM

I remember that many British rockers from the '70s did something similar and became US citizens to escape the burden of an out of control British tax system at the time.  I think it was 80% or above for millionaires.  Hmmmm so much for the 1%.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#7    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 12,860 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:40 PM

Quite a few actors as well became British tax exiles - the guy who played Doctor Bombay  in Bewtiched/Colonel Chricton in Hogan's Heroes/token British guy in the 60s and 70s for example.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#8    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 15,598 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 12 May 2012 - 11:32 PM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 12 May 2012 - 10:40 PM, said:

Quite a few actors as well became British tax exiles - the guy who played Doctor Bombay  in Bewtiched/Colonel Chricton in Hogan's Heroes/token British guy in the 60s and 70s for example.

I know he was an over the top caricature but I LOVED that actor's work..... calling Dr Bombay..please come right away.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users