Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A Stupid Topic

joc

It seems like no matter how idiotic or superfluous the topic is...none of them seem to get closed anymore....is it just me missing something? or is it the more 'sensitive' mod touch?! tongue.gif

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Saru

• BurnSide

• Janiel

• TooFarGone

I've been unavoidably absent from the forum for about a month, so I can't address your question directly or informatively, joc, but I can move it to the appropriate category.

MM

I've noticed this too. I used to bombard moderators with reports, informing them of exceedingly inconsequential threads, but they rarely got closed, so I just let them be.

Edited by colorless

Usually some of the more pointless and stupid threads become very popular, so closing them down would cause a rather negative reaction from many members. In the end these type of threads usually fizzle out though, so we only have to put up with them for a little while!

I wouldn't say that there is too much of a change in the number of threads being locked. At the best of times I don't like locking threads unless they are a lost cause, excessively inflammatory, offensive or nonsensical threads are those most likely to be closed. Our policy on closing such threads hasn't changed.

If anything has changed, it's the number of people who take the time to 'report' threads that need our attention - I have noticed that most outstanding threads which require closing go unreported these days. Some folk would rather post "Why hasn't a moderator locked this" in a thread instead of just clicking the report button so that a moderator will come and lock it.

Oh, and welcome back Magikman thumbsup.gif

If anything has changed, it's the number of people who take the time to 'report' threads that need our attention - I have noticed that most outstanding threads which require closing go unreported these days. Some folk would rather post "Why hasn't a moderator locked this" in a thread instead of just clicking the report button so that a moderator will come and lock it.

Thanks Saruman! original.gif I actually had to look for the report button. blush.gif

The Report Button, for those of you who didn't know there was one, is located underneath your avatar quote.

A thread never gets closed for no reason, only for a reason that you don't know about.

As mentioned above, threads which are excessively inflammatory, offensive or nonsensical will be the most likely to be closed. I don't like closing threads, but sometimes it's the best course of action to take.

I think that some may think that they are incredibly stupid, but some just need a getaway from all of the terror that is going on in the world, all the stuff that we are reading about around here. Some of them need to stay, that's all I'm saying.

I feel that there's far to many forums on this site people use to do nothing but post one liners and up their post count. This is spamming, no?

Having 200 pages of:

5/10

6/10

2/10

210873127390173907/10

Is kinda silly to me.

I think that all the threads like 'rate the person aboves...' or 'notice the person aboves...' etc etc etc. should be closed. It's only the same 10 or so people posting in them constantly and it's always only one or two words, completely useless for anything except post count uppage.

''notice the person above you" has already been closed. Same with

"Rate The Person Above's signature" . I still dunno why the avatar one is still open.

Edited by Janiel

There's a good 6 or so open. I noticed because they were all at the top of the page, after canadian had posted in every single one of them. Mostly one word.

I feel that there's far to many forums on this site people use to do nothing but post one liners and up their post count. This is spamming, no?

Having 200 pages of:

5/10

6/10

2/10

210873127390173907/10

Is kinda silly to me.

I think that all the threads like 'rate the person aboves...' or 'notice the person aboves...' etc etc etc. should be closed. It's only the same 10 or so people posting in them constantly and it's always only one or two words, completely useless for anything except post count uppage.

426445[/snapback]

To that post i'd give that a 10/10 tongue.gif

couldn't agree more

I've been looking through the 'Rate the' threads, and I tend to agree with what has been posted here. I have no objection to game threads on the forum, especially those which encourage a bit of thought, even if the posts are a little on the short side. These "rate the" threads though encourage no thought whatsoever, and come across as little more than a way for certain members to increase their post count.

The other two main 'rate the' threads have now been closed. If any more spring up they will be closed also.

Lol! It did need to be done Saruman, I am one of those repeat offenders who posted in those threads, but I did enjoy it when someone new came into that thread and then it was generally interesting to rate them but some members did over use those threads and did ruin them for others!

Thanks saruman.

Maybe we'll start to see some more intelligent threads popping up now there's a crackdown on the one liner threads. thumbsup.gif