Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

[Merged] Chilean quake likely shifted Earth’s axis,

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16    Mac E

Mac E

Mass Confuser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,116 posts

• If you can't convince them, confuse them.

Posted 03 March 2010 - 01:13 PM

The article I read about this is that the scientists said it effected the length of the day, however they are unable to measure to that amount so it is all theory.  In otherwords, they can't prove it.

http://www.startribu...d/85961757.html

In the beginning there were only probabilities. The universe could only come into existence if someone observed it. It does not matter that the observers turned up several billion years later. The universe exists because we are aware of it.

Martin Rees (1942) – Astrophysicist

#17    Raptor

Raptor

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,085 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 02:52 PM

View PostMac E, on 03 March 2010 - 01:13 PM, said:

The article I read about this is that the scientists said it effected the length of the day, however they are unable to measure to that amount so it is all theory.  In otherwords, they can't prove it.

http://www.startribu...d/85961757.html

That's misleading. We know that the earthquake has affected the rotation of the Earth, the physics behind it is actually very simple (the conservation of angular momentum - think of an ice skater spinning on ice, if their arms are out wide they spin slower than if their arms are tucked in). The question is "How much has it affected it?", which is a tricky question to answer because measurements can not be taken with such precision, compounded by the fact that the rotation of the Earth is always changing anyway so it would be difficult to isolate the exact effects caused by this single earthquake.

#18    SRCivic98

SRCivic98

Psychic Spy

• 1,612 posts

• When being pushed to the limits. Killing is just as easy as breathing.

Posted 03 March 2010 - 03:27 PM

View PostRaptor, on 03 March 2010 - 12:09 PM, said:

:lol:

To put things in perspective:

It will be approximately 68,571,428,571 days before this change will result in a loss of time equivalent to 24 hours.

Everything affects the Earth's rotation. You walking from your living room to your kitchen does, so does stubbing your toe on the freezer. Given that, there's actually a group (IERS) that regularly meets to calculate how many seconds are required to be added to UTC to keep us in sync with Solar Time.  Between 1972 and now, 24 seconds have been added in to do just that. Now compare that to the 460 microseconds lost per year as a result of this earthquake; it's not too significant, right?
exactly right. now there's still one thing that is lurking in the back of my mind after looking at the fault lines *tectonic plates* throughout the Earth and then I looked at the fault line and epi-center of the earthquake in Chilie. If I was looking at it correctly, it runs in conjuction with the San Andraus <-- hope that's right, fault line in California. If I was a scientist or geologist I would look at that fault line to show some kind of movement here soon. Sure earthquakes aren't anything new and never will be anything new, but if I was to take a wild guess, that would be the next fault line to shift. Hopefully it'd be something like a 1.0 to a 6.0 but anything bigger would make a significant change or shift in the ground level. Just a thought from thinking more on the side of science and not just pure conspriacy.

LIVE WITH HONOR, DIE WITH PRIDE - PERSONAL MOTTO

THE MORE THINGS CHANGE, THE MORE THEY STAY THE SAME - SNAKE PLISKIN IN ESCAPE FROM LA

ONCE ALL THINGS ARE ELIMATED, WHAT REMAINS, NO MATTER HOW IMPROBIBABLE IT MAY SEEM, MUST BE THE TRUTH - SHERLOCK HOLMES

#19    Mac E

Mac E

Mass Confuser

• 2,116 posts

• If you can't convince them, confuse them.

Posted 03 March 2010 - 03:38 PM

View PostRaptor, on 03 March 2010 - 02:52 PM, said:

That's misleading. We know that the earthquake has affected the rotation of the Earth, the physics behind it is actually very simple (the conservation of angular momentum - think of an ice skater spinning on ice, if their arms are out wide they spin slower than if their arms are tucked in). The question is "How much has it affected it?", which is a tricky question to answer because measurements can not be taken with such precision, compounded by the fact that the rotation of the Earth is always changing anyway so it would be difficult to isolate the exact effects caused by this single earthquake.

I'm not questioning the physics here, but there are probably more things that impact the length of a day (the speed of Earth's rotation).  For example the moon's force on the Earth, sending satallites/materials into space.  Point being that there is more to factor into then just an Earthquake.  Also what tpye of Earth shift was it?  was it subversion where it pushed some of the mantle into the Earth or was it the type that creates mountains?  That wil have an impact as well.  It kind of makes you wonder what the length of the day was when the Himalyas were smaller.  Which brings me to another point that if the Earth was being pulled and is a closed system, the plate would be recycled which in turn would have even less of an impact from a quake.

In the beginning there were only probabilities. The universe could only come into existence if someone observed it. It does not matter that the observers turned up several billion years later. The universe exists because we are aware of it.

Martin Rees (1942) – Astrophysicist

#20    Mira2020

Mira2020

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 21 posts

• If you can't be good, be careful.

Posted 03 March 2010 - 05:30 PM

View PostHarte, on 02 March 2010 - 05:33 PM, said:

What we need to do, then, is have everybody on Earth run as fast as they can to the East for about 4 or 5 minutes, all at the same time, to slow the rotation back down to what it is meant to be.

Harte

Or superman can do his thing and fly around at hyperspeed :)

“When you run with the Doctor, it feels like it'll never end. But however hard you try, you can't run forever. Everybody knows that everybody dies, and nobody knows it like the Doctor. But I do think that all the skies of all the worlds might just turn dark if he ever, for one moment, accepts it.- River Song

#21    zenfahr

zenfahr

Psychic Spy

• 1,599 posts
  • Location:Center of my universe.... which is located in a bunker in New Mexico.

• "The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn from the Crow"
    -Nobody

Posted 03 March 2010 - 07:07 PM

View PostMira2020, on 03 March 2010 - 05:30 PM, said:

Or superman can do his thing and fly around at hyperspeed :)

lol first post and its a smart a** comment  :D  you are going to fit in well here  :tu:  welcome to the forum.   :alien:

Edited by zenfahr, 03 March 2010 - 07:08 PM.

.....Im NOT here.....

My Art Gallery

#22    Ginger

Ginger

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

• Speak not, what you know nothing of.

Posted 04 March 2010 - 05:20 AM

View Post667-Neighbor of the Beast, on 02 March 2010 - 02:24 PM, said:

I have heard of this before with other earthquakes.  Yet, still have seen no proof of anything of the such.
Scientists have said that these axis shifts will make drastic changes to the earth, possibly going as far as reversing the seasons.  At least this article doesn't make such claims.
Wrong, slight changes in the axis will not make drastic changes to the earth.  If a drastic change in the axis happened then it would have drastic changes to the earth.  Things are actually pretty simple.

#23    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 17,639 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 05:41 AM

Im waiting for the next big one and Im just going to Jump up just before it starts ! And when its over I should be in the next state of mind. Right?

This is a Work in Progress!

#24    ROGER

ROGER

Government Agent

• 3,485 posts

• Sticks and stone didnt break my bone,
    But old age is starting to Hurt me!

Posted 04 March 2010 - 10:31 AM

The change in the Earths axis should not effect the BBQ grilling done in Texas!
Now if it did, WE would have a problem!  :P

The world can't end in 2012, I have a yogurt that expires in 2013.

#25    Salami Swami

Salami Swami

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 217 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 07:17 PM

there is a rumor among the highschools here in my country, they say that someone "predicted" the chile earthquake and said that another major earthquake will happen in el salvador shifting the axis alot making the sea move and drown central america...
loads of bull if you ask me, i just wanted to share the rumor ^_^

Posted Image

#26    Nerupe

Nerupe

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 25 posts

• Victory!

Posted 14 March 2010 - 04:23 AM

View PostBliszter, on 12 March 2010 - 07:17 PM, said:

there is a rumor among the highschools here in my country, they say that someone "predicted" the chile earthquake and said that another major earthquake will happen in el salvador shifting the axis alot making the sea move and drown central america...
loads of bull if you ask me, i just wanted to share the rumor ^_^

Actually we we've been waiting for this earthquake for decades. Our country's over two major tectonic plates, we were actually worried because the last earthquake was in the 80s.

View Postshaka5, on 03 March 2010 - 01:03 PM, said:

I know the time thing isn't really anything...but just the thought that an earthquake can make such a change is kinda kool

Almost 500 people died in my country and more than 200 thousand died in Haiti so please think before you write things like these.

'What an amazing technological age we live in. We can't feed the world, but by God we can blow it up.'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users