Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Black "orb"?

Bebi

Yesterday my brother in law visited and during the course of the conversation he asked our advice about something. He was sat on the sofa and his partner went downstairs to the kitchen (the back door is lower than the front) to sort himself out for work. Just then Kris saw what he describes as a "black orb" with "fuzzy edges" went past him and behind the sofa he was sat on. At first he assumed it was his partner messing around so he shouted "Martin pack it in" and got no answer. He got up and looked allround the sofa and couldn't see anything so he went downstairs and found Martin had already left for work.

My only logical (ie non-paranormal) explanation is that it was something wrong with his vision. Other than that does anyone have any suggestions? I did think maybe some form of ball lightning, but this would probably be quite rare - and again I've heard of ball lightning being various colours but not black... I'm not a fan of orbs, but this was seen with naked sight not through a lens, and to be honest I've not heard of orbs being black; I've only ever seen the ones on photographs.

• Like 1

This is the only thing I can contribute Bebi, since I've never really heard anything else about black orbs: Recently my 26 year old son suffered a bout of shingles (this is a secondary form of the chicken-pox virus that revisits later in life if you've already had chicken-pox). Shingles can seriously affect the nerve endings anywhere in the body. In my son's case it affected the nerve endings to his eyes. One of his symptoms was brief periods of blindness, but during the periods when his sight returned he would also see black "orb-like" things floating in his field of vision. This has all passed and he is well now. That doesn't really sound like what you described though, does it? I'm afraid I wasn't much help. LOL.

It could have easily been his eyes. But, how was the lighting in that room? As in, how dim or dark was it--would you happen to know?

Thanks Earthchick :tu: he's thinking of having a checkup anyways, although I don't recall him saying anything that could point to shingles.

Taka - the living room has muslin nets and it wasn't too overcast that day, one of the first things I asked was were there any beams of sunlight anywhere, the answer was no. Otherwise the vision was fine as I've been round there quite a lot, it only really gets too dark to see when there's a storm overhead. Does that help?

Taka - the living room has muslin nets and it wasn't too overcast that day, one of the first things I asked was were there any beams of sunlight anywhere, the answer was no. Otherwise the vision was fine as I've been round there quite a lot, it only really gets too dark to see when there's a storm overhead. Does that help?

If only I knew what 'muslin nets' were. x_x I'll go google it and educate myself, but I'll continue to go with the eye problem(s). And if the doctors don't find anything during his checkup, then I'm at a loss. But, because I've never been there, or seen a picture, so I really can't say anything for a fact. n_n;

Edddit: I just had an idea. What about a shadow? Perhaps maybe from a vulture or other large bird? Not exactly orb-like, but still.

Edited by Taka

Muslin nets are a little less see-through than ordinary net curtains, but still allow light through without causing dazzle through the pin-pricks you get in the fabric of normal nets.

I asked if it could have been a shadow and he said definitely not, it was a well defined "orb" that travelled past him and then turned to go behind the sofa. It looked to be about a foot (12 inches/30 cms) off the ground.

I'm also still going with the vision problem scenario personally.

Ah, okay. Yeah, I Googled 'muslin nets' and got pretty much that.

Well, since he's said it's not a shadow, I'm going right there with you; most likely his eyes. (I've got eye problems, where I'm half blind in my right eye, and I see a lot of things like that. I don't wear my glasses. x])

I get migraines and sometimes it will just be affecting my eyes. When this happens I see black spots and am light sensitive. Could this be what he's talking about? I found out from my Dr. that most people don't even know they are having a migraine when they have this type.

On the other hand, I too have never heard of a black orb or black ball lighting. . .

Hope he feels better. . .

I found this by searching for 'black orbs' because we have them, too. It's a recent thing, only the last couple of weeks. I'd never heard of black orbs, either and I was looking for more information. In my case, it's not just me who sees them. My husband has seen them and so has my son. So it couldn't be all of our eyes going bad.

I have no idea what it is. To me orbs=spirits, and they are usually white. I equate white with peaceful, so to me black is um, not so good. And I don't mean people, I only mean spirits. But we haven't felt any menacing presence, although we do have something I call 'peepers'. It's a feeling that someone is watching you, from the stairway or by the door, and when you look that way, all you catch is a dark shadow ducking beneath the railing or going around the corner. Again, I'm not the only one who sees that, either. In fact, it's been going on for years and neither me or my husband discussed it until we watched a show one night about hauntings and he said, "Ya know, sometimes I see something at the top of the stairs, looking over the railing." I about flipped, because it was exactly what I see.

The orbs are about the size of a baseball, and move fast. I have a feeling that a lot more people are going to start talking about black orbs very soon.

Yesterday my brother in law visited and during the course of the conversation he asked our advice about something. He was sat on the sofa and his partner went downstairs to the kitchen (the back door is lower than the front) to sort himself out for work. Just then Kris saw what he describes as a "black orb" with "fuzzy edges" went past him and behind the sofa he was sat on. At first he assumed it was his partner messing around so he shouted "Martin pack it in" and got no answer. He got up and looked allround the sofa and couldn't see anything so he went downstairs and found Martin had already left for work.

My only logical (ie non-paranormal) explanation is that it was something wrong with his vision. Other than that does anyone have any suggestions? I did think maybe some form of ball lightning, but this would probably be quite rare - and again I've heard of ball lightning being various colours but not black... I'm not a fan of orbs, but this was seen with naked sight not through a lens, and to be honest I've not heard of orbs being black; I've only ever seen the ones on photographs.

Thanks for the info Cherlym :tu:

Actually, I've heard about black orbs for a couple of years now. Most are attribited to the eye problems. But in the realm of quantum physics they are pretty much sumed up as pin holes in the the dimensional fabric. A kind of Peephole into our world from another dimension.

Actually, I've heard about black orbs for a couple of years now. Most are attribited to the eye problems. But in the realm of quantum physics they are pretty much sumed up as pin holes in the the dimensional fabric. A kind of Peephole into our world from another dimension.

so there u go

i have encountered what you have descibed but i will not go indepth here. the last i heard it has something to do with a curse from south america, egypt and australia (correct me if im wrong). its a an orb thats black and fuzzy around the sides because it is moving. and looks like it is glitching if so reply.

If this was a 'true' orb and not an eye prob which if in doubt health should always be checked. Then black orbs very much do exist as they do in lots of colours and it's possible to see them with the naked eye. Lets put it this way, you are in no doubt whatsoever when you have seen an orb fly past you or at you from across a room. It is quite different from eye floaters or sparks caused by the eyes or light in the eyes. Once experinced you know the difference. For one, you have full concept and perception of its depth and dimension over distance as it travels, just like a butterfly.

The colour of an orb is a reflection of its engery source. Black tends to sugest negitive or mischievous properties..

As this is a subject i find fascinating... heres something on coloured "orbs"

okay, last I checked, White, black, blue and green are nice spirits.

Red orbs are elemental spirits, those from the underworld (demons) and will harm you for the sake of it. I stress that you stay away from these

As for the others, it's to do with the energy levels. (weak to Strongest)

black, white, blue, green.

No need to worry about these really

slitz :)

once and awhile my vision will doing something weird. i will see a small dot, that is either black or a very bright apperance(kinda like a dead pixel on your monitor). i know it's not an orb because it's stationary and moves with my vision. it also only lasts a couple seconds.

• 2 months later...

I just found this forum for the same reason, i was searching Google for info on 'black orbs' because i saw another one 2 days ago in my flatmates bedroom, i was tidying up the room and i looked near the doorway i saw this black blob and it started to move like 'black slime' what made it even more spooky was that where the bed was placed in the room it was like it was moving or rather slimeing down the bed, like it's moving over the physical object, it then slid down and then disappeared.... i hope you get what i mean? it gave me goosebumps when i saw that...

another time prior to this i saw another black orb in my front room, this time it flew right pass me and it had a distinctive shade like light reflected on the orb, and this was in the daytime. it moved about in a zig zag then just flew very fast and disappeared.

then there was the time before this when i was in bed, and it was night time i was just about to doze off when i saw this big black orb in the corner of my room, the orb was like it was floating in mid air and there were little particles around it that were vibrating. it stayed there for quite a while and then another one appeared floating above the TV and disappeared quickly. then the other one disappeared....

i have also seen a black apparition appear in my flatmates room, i was standing very close to it at the time and it was there for quite a while, i wasn't scared i was just fascinated because you could see the black apparition holding onto the door and peering over staring at me... then after a while it just started to fade away. here are good examples of the black orbs i have been seeing:

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

I drew these earlier.

I've done an extensive study on orbs and have yet to come across a black one. Colors do not define the spirit. Any ghost (demon or otherwise) can manifest as anything or any color they want. Generally the color is symbolic of what they want to relay either to you or other ghosts. I would have to guess that a black one would be a vision issue, such as a floater in the eye.

I saw one about 2 years ago. It seemed to be shimmering a bit like when you look at something in between you and a fire and makes stuff behind it shimmer. I saw it outside floating around a tree before it headed up to the sky until I couldn't see it. Unfortunately no-one else was there and anyone I told accused me of lying and I just stopped thinking about it until I saw this topic.

I just found this forum for the same reason, i was searching Google for info on 'black orbs' because i saw another one 2 days ago in my flatmates bedroom, i was tidying up the room and i looked near the doorway i saw this black blob and it started to move like 'black slime' what made it even more spooky was that where the bed was placed in the room it was like it was moving or rather slimeing down the bed, like it's moving over the physical object, it then slid down and then disappeared.... i hope you get what i mean? it gave me goosebumps when i saw that...

another time prior to this i saw another black orb in my front room, this time it flew right pass me and it had a distinctive shade like light reflected on the orb, and this was in the daytime. it moved about in a zig zag then just flew very fast and disappeared.

then there was the time before this when i was in bed, and it was night time i was just about to doze off when i saw this big black orb in the corner of my room, the orb was like it was floating in mid air and there were little particles around it that were vibrating. it stayed there for quite a while and then another one appeared floating above the TV and disappeared quickly. then the other one disappeared....

i have also seen a black apparition appear in my flatmates room, i was standing very close to it at the time and it was there for quite a while, i wasn't scared i was just fascinated because you could see the black apparition holding onto the door and peering over staring at me... then after a while it just started to fade away. here are good examples of the black orbs i have been seeing:

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

I drew these earlier.

Cool drawings!

I've seen dark orbs with the naked eye a few times before, had one come from one end of of the living room towards me which then took a sharp detour down round behind me before it faded out. My dog who is very recpetive saw this one as well and tracked as it came cross the room. When I linked into it, it turned out to just be a mishevous young spirit testing to see if i was receptive or not :)

I saw one about 2 years ago. It seemed to be shimmering a bit like when you look at something in between you and a fire and makes stuff behind it shimmer. I saw it outside floating around a tree before it headed up to the sky until I couldn't see it. Unfortunately no-one else was there and anyone I told accused me of lying and I just stopped thinking about it until I saw this topic.

Sounds classically like the golden spider web threads type spirit energy? I have seen that also and it's beautiful.

Spirit energy can come in all forms and shapes, not just the standard orb ball shape

All I know is I liked it and am on the lookout for orbs from now on.

Also, when I was 4, I saw an evil looking lady with her skin looking like it was stretched across her bones looking through my window, I know it wasn't a dream because I told my mother, and she sais she still remembers me telling her and I was watching my window as I walked down the hallway and told her, when I turned back, it was gone. Although so many years have passed since then i'm in doubt whether I saw it for real or not. I should probably start up a topic for this though. Anyways, back to the orbs!

yeah that's how i would describe the vibrating orb, like a shimmering look to it when you look into a fire, and those bits around it were moving erratically. pretty weired when you think about it :S.

But was the orb good, or evil? maybe it didn't realise i was there, or probably didn't care (hey, that rhymes!) but either way i wanna know more about ghosts in general so i'm gonna check more topics.

• The topic was locked