Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Gay marriage 'to be illegal'

gat marriage maria miller

• Please log in to reply
403 replies to this topic

#376    shadowhive

shadowhive

Government Agent

• 3,861 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:36 AM

View PostSpiritWriter, on 15 December 2012 - 12:10 AM, said:

Christianity does not teach rejection to compassion, empathy and love, it rather encourages it most exuberantly, you cannot see this side of it because of the starkness of the rejection of homosexuality. In truth, although it may seem that a Christian is hateful toward gays (and indeed some of them are, but who of us has been able to cast off all hatred?) but actually they regard homosexuality as a sin, they do not hate the person, but think they need to repent and be saved, since they are not gay, they think it's something that can be controlled....

I think some of the teachings do lead to that rejection inadvertantly. Otherwise such a strong rejection would be rare, ot common.

Personally, I hate that excuse. 'Hate the sin love the sinner' doesn't really work when it comes to homosexuality since a person's sexuality IS part of the person. So really all it is is condemning the person.

I'm glad you, unlike most christians, seem to understand that a distinction is there.

View PostSpiritWriter, on 15 December 2012 - 12:18 AM, said:

Getting close to god is a very powerful thing... Because of that power, many get confused and begin to think that in order to stay in that power they have to follow strictly to a higher teaching.. This does wonders for discipline and miraculous change but it also makes one vulnerable to cult like mentality where you will believe severly and belief in my opinion is geared to the wrong thing... The teachings of man, and manipulated religion, instead of the inner teachings of god... It's very deep.... Can't be all surmised here, but knowing god is very important for believers.

Getting closer to power can be a dangerous thing. It amazes me how easily believers can be manipulated into doing things simply because 'god says so'. Personally I think that's a big problem with organised religion. Spirituality is meant to be a journe that you make yourself, eyt all to often people would rather be told what to do or believe. I think a large part of what is attributed to god is man made. I doubt there's anything godly in any wholly text, since so much of it's been tainted by men adding to it.

Knowing god seems to be a rather odd and vague concept. Sometimes I wonder if believers are really knowing god or just themselves (or what they think god is).

I just cant see why god would bother with us.

So just take off that disguise, everyone knows that you're only, pretty on the outside
Where are those droideka?
No one can tell you who you are
"There's the trouble with fanatics. They're easy to manipulate, but somehow they take everything five steps too far."
"The circumstances of one's birth are irrelevent, it's what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."

#377    Cassea

Cassea

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:40 AM

So really this thread.  Is just another excuse for you to bash on Christians.  You keep trying to bring up homosexuality. And debate it.  But the thread is about gay marriage. Not homosexuality.

Understanding Traumatic Brain Injury communication issues.   http://www.asha.org/.../#comm_problems

#378    shadowhive

shadowhive

Government Agent

• 3,861 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:47 AM

View PostCassea, on 15 December 2012 - 12:40 AM, said:

So really this thread.  Is just another excuse for you to bash on Christians.  You keep trying to bring up homosexuality. And debate it.  But the thread is about gay marriage. Not homosexuality.

You make out like bringing up homosexuality is something completely unrelated when it's not. As someone else pointed out, the two are linked. You can't debate gay marriage without the gay part coming up, especially when religion is involved.

Now if I was bringing up what my christmas tree looked like, or my thoughts on immigration laws or the EU, then yeah, you would indeed have a point. But, and I'm sorry this has escaped your notice, but homosexuality is relevent to gay marriage. In fact, it's kind of the main reason for it. It's also relevent because the church's stance on gay marriage is down to it's stance on homosexuality. So yeah, it is relevent.

Now if you can't take that, you don't have to keep coming back.

Edited by shadowhive, 15 December 2012 - 12:50 AM.

So just take off that disguise, everyone knows that you're only, pretty on the outside
"There's the trouble with fanatics. They're easy to manipulate, but somehow they take everything five steps too far."
"The circumstances of one's birth are irrelevent, it's what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."

#379    Cassea

Cassea

Psychic Spy

• 1,064 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:54 AM

So you just want to keep bashing Christians?  You turn the conversation that way every time.  You've admitted.  That you have no reason. To complain about the OP of the thread. You've stated that you don't agree. With them protecting themselves.  You just don't like them. Pushing their opinion on others.  Yet you want to keep bashing Christians.  Making generalizations.   Ignoring that there are Christians who are gay.  Mock our beliefs.   Denigrate what you do not understand.  The thing you say you dislike about the Church. Is exactly what you are doing.

Understanding Traumatic Brain Injury communication issues.   http://www.asha.org/.../#comm_problems

#380    shadowhive

shadowhive

Government Agent

• 3,861 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:06 AM

View PostCassea, on 15 December 2012 - 12:54 AM, said:

So you just want to keep bashing Christians?  You turn the conversation that way every time.  You've admitted.  That you have no reason. To complain about the OP of the thread. You've stated that you don't agree. With them protecting themselves.  You just don't like them. Pushing their opinion on others.  Yet you want to keep bashing Christians.  Making generalizations.   Ignoring that there are Christians who are gay.  Mock our beliefs.   Denigrate what you do not understand.  The thing you say you dislike about the Church. Is exactly what you are doing.

What exactly is your problem? Where is the bashing in what I just said?

No that is NOT what I have said at all. You can't be more wrong.

I agree they should be protected but they ALREADY had the protection. So what they've got is unecessary. I also don't agree with the church of england being singled out for aditional 'protection' when everyone else has the choice to opt in or out. Why only ban it outright in the church of england and wales? The catholic church was just as opposed, yet they only have the opt in measure. It just means if the church of england changes it's mind, it has to change the law, while every other faith group can simply say 'we want to do this' if they change.

How does creating a double standard for one religious group help anyone?

And, as I have explained before I do not like that they didn't want ANY same sex marriage for anyone.

I have bolded the parts that you should read and re-read until they are clear in your head.

I don't ignore gay christians, I feel sorry for them. That they have to put up with so much hatred. That they're told their love is sinful and wrong and what that leads to.

It's not bashing christians to point out that their stance on homosexuality needs a drastic update and that it does far more harm than good.

Please, before you make another post to me, read what I have said and be clear in what I am saying. Don't try and misrepresent what I say like you keep doing.

Edited by shadowhive, 15 December 2012 - 01:09 AM.

#381    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 7,361 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:18 AM

View PostCassea, on 14 December 2012 - 11:55 PM, said:

An individual doesn't get to describe what Christianity is for everyone else.  You can only do so for yourself.   JGirl sitting here saying "That is the definition of Christianity" is foolish.  As you say. We define our own beliefs.  The more organized churches will do so in a more rigid way.   But JGirl can't deny their version because she has a different one. That is silly.
cassea will you give it up with this? the literal definition of a christian is a person who follows jesus and his teachings. you can subcategorize or refine or add to your belief system all you damned well please but it does not negate the definition.
you twist that to seem as though i'm telling you what you can identify with and i am not. i am merely telling you that all the so called extras in each particular faith are the subjective interpretations of the bible - OLD testament for the most part.
do as you promised and put me on ignore for gawd sake. i'm so sick of your confused rhetoric

Posted Image

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it and ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is.

Winston Churchill

#382    Cassea

Cassea

Psychic Spy

• 1,064 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:37 AM

View PostJGirl, on 15 December 2012 - 01:18 AM, said:

cassea will you give it up with this? the literal definition of a christian is a person who follows jesus and his teachings. you can subcategorize or refine or add to your belief system all you damned well please but it does not negate the definition.
you twist that to seem as though i'm telling you what you can identify with and i am not. i am merely telling you that all the so called extras in each particular faith are the subjective interpretations of the bible - OLD testament for the most part.
do as you promised and put me on ignore for gawd sake. i'm so sick of your confused rhetoric

You are completely silly..  The literal definition is one who reads the Bible, Follows the teachings of God and also the teachings of Jesus.  You can't just leave out God and go with Jesus.  Nonsensical.

#383    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 7,361 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:38 AM

View PostCassea, on 15 December 2012 - 01:37 AM, said:

You are completely silly..  The literal definition is one who reads the Bible, Follows the teachings of God and also the teachings of Jesus.  You can't just leave out God and go with Jesus.  Nonsensical.
who told you this is the literal definition of christian?
btw jesus is god apparently

Edited by JGirl, 15 December 2012 - 01:39 AM.

Posted Image

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it and ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is.

Winston Churchill

#384    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,193 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:41 AM

View PostJGirl, on 15 December 2012 - 01:38 AM, said:

who told you this is the literal definition of christian?
btw jesus is god apparently

Yup.. A lot ( and I mean a lot ) of Christians, both Protestant and Catholic will say - Jesus  is God..     I have seen many Christians say that on these boards too    The Father, The Son and The Holy Spirit = ONE GOD

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#385    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 7,361 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:48 AM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 15 December 2012 - 01:41 AM, said:

Yup.. A lot ( and I mean a lot ) of Christians, both Protestant and Catholic will say - Jesus  is God.. I have seen many Christians say that on these boards too The Father, The Son and The Holy Spirit = ONE GOD
i heard it a lot in church lol
i never really worried about it one way or the other

Posted Image

Winston Churchill

#386    Cassea

Cassea

Psychic Spy

• 1,064 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:50 AM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 15 December 2012 - 01:41 AM, said:

Yup.. A lot ( and I mean a lot ) of Christians, both Protestant and Catholic will say - Jesus  is God.. I have seen many Christians say that on these boards too The Father, The Son and The Holy Spirit = ONE GOD

A lot.  Not all.  So you can't apply it to all.  It is silly to suggest you can leave out.  Belief in God.  Not all Christians believe that Jesus is God.  They consider Jesus the son of God. It is patently absurd to try to promote.  Christianity as a belief in Jesus.  Skipping over God and the Bible.

But this is off topic.  So I will leave it at that.  I agree that it is disrespectful.  To tell people what they believe.  Belief is a personal relationship with God.

Edited by Cassea, 15 December 2012 - 01:51 AM.

#387    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 7,361 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:54 AM

View PostCassea, on 15 December 2012 - 01:50 AM, said:

A lot.  Not all.  So you can't apply it to all.  It is silly to suggest you can leave out.  Belief in God.  Not all Christians believe that Jesus is God.  They consider Jesus the son of God. It is patently absurd to try to promote.  Christianity as a belief in Jesus.  Skipping over God and the Bible.

But this is off topic.  So I will leave it at that.  I agree that it is disrespectful.  To tell people what they believe.  Belief is a personal relationship with God.
answer my question
who told you that is the literal definition of christian?

Posted Image

Winston Churchill

#388    Cassea

Cassea

Psychic Spy

• 1,064 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:57 AM

Where do you find the teachings of Christ  JGirl?  That is not a hard question.  This is just silly.

#389    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 7,361 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:00 AM

View PostCassea, on 15 December 2012 - 01:57 AM, said:

Where do you find the teachings of Christ  JGirl?  That is not a hard question.  This is just silly.
that is  not an answer to my question.

Posted Image

Winston Churchill

#390    Cassea

Cassea

Psychic Spy

• 1,064 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:00 AM

Oh yes it is.  Now you are just playing games.  Whatever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users