Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Does a border fence with Mexico work?

DieChecker

Would a fence at border with Mexico reduce illegal immigraion?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Would a complete border fence with Mexico reduce illegal immigration?

• Yes
    • No

http://www.realclear...hite_house.html

If fences don't work, why is there one around the White House? If they don't work, why is it that the Israeli fence which separate Israel from the West Bank has cut down terror attacks within Israel by 99%.

I think this has already been shown to be true, in that cities that build a fence between them and Mexico quickly reduce the number of illegals entering their immediate area.

Edited by DieChecker

That is a loaded question.

People can always defeat an unmoving object.

The great wall of china did a lot of good, yet china was still invaded by plenty of barbarians.

I come from a boarder state AZ and Obama fought us tooth and nail to block SB 1070. And now look at the mess. Strange, IKR?

• Like 2

I would say no to a fence unless it was electrified and worked as a REAL deterrent, and not just a minor obstacle. I'd much prefer to see more domestic policies to deter illegal immigration.

• Like 2

Supposedly the fence that now separates Israel from its neighbors has stopped about 99% of incursions into their country and reduced attacks. Of course we have a huge border by comparison, but IF a fence, preferably a double walled, razor wire topped fence could be build in areas where possible and patrols placed in areas where it is not possible, then certainly it would REDUCE but not eliminate illegal immigration. Anything that makes crossing the border more difficult would have that effect. As a bonus it would also reduce gang incursion, drugs, and disease coming form Mexico and beyond. Oh, and future Democrat voters as well. Sounds like a win/win.

If fences don't work, why is there one around the White House? If they don't work, why is it that the Israeli fence which separate Israel from the West Bank has cut down terror attacks within Israel by 99%.

Wow what a comparison. Immigration with terrorism. Yeah, if we were building shiny new Murican hilltop settlements in Mexico to live on top of their land while we also herd them like cattle through their own country behind barriers and 'Murican only roads, and then built a wall too as an afterthought, the West Bank would be a fair analogy.

• Like 1

I think the term "fence" needs a bit of clarification. Simply put, a fence works only as a physical reminder of the ramifications that will occur if you cross it. The reason that piece of crap fence around the White House works is because there are god knows how many secret service agents with eyes on it. Like wise, a border fence could only work if you have the man power to maintain and monitor it, probably military levels, such as the border for the Koreas, which I would dread.

• Like 2

of course fences work, this is why all prisons have them, they even work better electrified.

ussr proved fences work.

Edited by aztek

of course fences work, this is why all prisons have them, they even work better electrified.

ussr proved fences work.

If that was "prove" that the fence worked it was pretty shabby. The fence did not keep anybody in, 10s of thousands of border-guards shooting hundreds of people on sight did.... and yet 1000s got out anyway.

If that was "prove" that the fence worked it was pretty shabby. The fence did not keep anybody in, 10s of thousands of border-guards shooting hundreds of people on sight did.... and yet 1000s got out anyway.

I won't disagree that a few hundred thousand border guards with shoot on sight orders and a commissar-type system to stop and check citizens paperwork would stop illegal immigration. Might have to get rid of that pesky Constitution to make that happen though.

• Like 1

and yet 1000s got out anyway.

no one says guard have to leave. fences sure need guards, that is not a question

yes they did get out but not over fences, they got out by other means, mostly leaving a country in a group, like artists and sport teams, or tourists, and never came back.

Might have to get rid of that pesky Constitution to make that happen though.

keep dreaming.

Edited by aztek

now you need a guard to shoot them off the fence, no one implying fence alone will work, but you. shoot 10 people going over the fence and see how number of those that want to climb it falls overnight.

hire blackwater or similar to guard border and i do not doubt for one second, not a single MF will jump over and land alive

Edited by aztek

Here's an article on electric fences: http://www.motherjon...-electric-fence

We don't have to actually electrify the fence, just put the signs up saying they are.... :w00t:

The real problem stems from the fact that these poor people come from cesspools of countries. It's hard to blame anyone for wanted to have a chance at a better life for themselves and their families.

We don't have to actually electrify the fence, just put the signs up saying they are.... :w00t:

The real problem stems from the fact that these poor people come from cesspools of countries. It's hard to blame anyone for wanted to have a chance at a better life for themselves and their families.

The real problem is that to distract from the fact that, in times of sending work to China, around 10% of the current workforce is not needed, so we are desperate to try to find a way to stop 0.01% to come in illegally... or at least that is what the buzz is about.

yea sending work to china is a huge problem, illegals and hundreds of millions if not billions, that they cost us is totaly different unrelated issue. you do not really think it is about those landscaping and fruit picking, construction jobs......ect. do you?

Edited by aztek

The Congressional Research Service estimates that a border wall will cost a measly 49 Billion to build and maintain. That isn't including the price of the guards that you want to shoot them with. (This is also the part that requires throwing out the constitution that I mentioned earlier)

• Like 1

If nothing else, the fence Does keep illegal immigration away from populated American border areas. The greater number of illegals go around, out into the desert.

ussr proved fences work.

What's up with you and the communists lately?

Stalin-Portrait---Russian-d.jpg

What's up with you and the communists lately?

Stalin-Portrait---Russian-d.jpg

Looks like Steve Carell...

I think a fence would be the usual Government boondoggle - we'd probably have illegals building the thing anyway.

I agree with the comments above about changing the internal policies to make illegal immigration less favorable to both those coming in and to those businesses employing them. Add to that an overhaul of LEGAL immigration policies.

Illegal immigration from Mexico tanked when the economy crashed in 2008 because there were no jobs for them. Replicate that environment by making the penalties to companies hiring illegals too great and you've fixed a lot of the problem. If no one will hire them, they won't come.

Reduce the incentives and they will stop coming - do we have a wall with Canada? No. Are Canadians streaming across the border? No. Why? There's no reason for them to. Add to that, Mexico needs to take responsibility for its own citizens well being.

• Like 2

I would say no to a fence unless it was electrified and worked as a REAL deterrent, and not just a minor obstacle. I'd much prefer to see more domestic policies to deter illegal immigration.

Add landmines.