Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dawn of the Dead

BurnSide

I'd like to discuss a few movies here, mainly the more recent zombie flicks such as the temake of Dawn of the Dead, 28 Days Later, Resident Evil Apocalypse etc.

What are your opinions on these new-age zombie flicks compared to the latter day occult classics? The fast Zombie vs the slow?

I recently watched the new DotD, while impressed, i don't know if it was as good as the old DotD or the other classics. I'm not much of a fan of the fast moving zombies that seem to be the new thing, with the snarling and hissing and stuff it's like they get turned into animals not zombies. But they are scarier than the old slow moving zombies from movies such as the more recent Shaun of the Dead.

What do you think?

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BurnSide

• ChrisC098

• Shakezulah

• JennRose

Well I love zombie movies ive seen all of the insert time of the deads, Zombie, The resident evil movie and the newer ones too. I havent seen shaun of the dead yet but thats not important.

Personally I love absolutely love the old slow moveing zombies. To me that is what a zombie is. Not the snarling fast movie things in todays movies. The new Dawn of The Dead was good but nothing will ever beat the original (My all time favorite zombie movie). I did like zombie baby though lol. Another movie I really liked is Dead Alive which is more of a comedy/gore fest. I dont find any of the zombies really scary although theres sometthing about slow moveing zombies getting backed into a corner and running out of bullets that creaps me out.

Agreed. Although what i didn't like about the old style zombies in the Romero movies is how it always seems at the end that the people win over them and just start toying with the zombies, using them for entertainment and stuff after the initial zombie outbreak has been cleared up. (End of 'Night' for example).

Shaun of the Dead i would consider to be this generations great zombie movie. They're not the new-age fast snarling zombies, they're the good old lovably slow and stupid type. There is definately something about not being able to put them down, they just slowly come at you, moaning and stuff.

That been said, the post-apocalyptic zombie movies of today, the remake of Dawn and 28 Days Later, give a fresh new look on zombies. The speed of them and sheer agression makes things a little harder to survive, and i kinda like the increased danger. This was lost in 28 Days because of the ease the zombies went down. You could shoot them anywhere to kill them outright. But in DAWN remake, the thing that was cool was that they were UBER fast and couldn't be put down unless you hit the brain. (Good job they were all AWESOME shots!!)

I also liked the fact that in the remake of Dawn the whole world seems to be overrun, and humans lose.

Yeah but they were kinda playing with the zombies in the DOtD too. The celebrity game for example. Yes I like how humans lose in the new one too however I like how the old ones had a more political stance on a zombie attack in america which I really liked.

Im not too sure about the fast moveing zombies of today though. It just seems like another Extreme marketing ploy to me but they are still pretty cool.

I didnt like 28 days later that much really. It was pretty low quality which i forgave but I just didnt feel right for a zombie movie. I like how it explained how the infection spread more but i couldnt get into it.

While were at it ill ask this. How can a bite or scratch spread zombification? I know thats how its done but i find it odd.

Well with a bite saliva from the infected transfers to the blood stream of the victim, thus transfering the virus/disease/whatever to the victim from the infected. Same deal with a scratch really, except for it to work, the scratch must pierce the skin and the nails must have infected blood/salvia etc on them.

With DotD remake, they were playing games with the zombies because they had nothing better to do except kill zombies. Why not? Except in the old movies they did that after the outbreak with the remaining zombies. I found it reckless and dumb really. Just dispose of the infected bodies, don't TOY with them, yanno?

28 Days was good i thought. I liked that the infected had minimal intelligence, it wasn't so much of a zombie movie really. AT least, it WAS good, for the first half. It went downhill quickly when they reached the army base. I'm not fond of all that rape stuff.

Edited by BurnSide

I just realized this is the most indepth discussion ive ever had and its about zombie movies laugh.gif

Yeah 28 days later went downhill really fast. I liked the feeling of being alone the first five minutes gave and then the comeing to terms with it but then they reached the base and I was just done with it.

I misunderstood what you were talking about with them messing around with the zombies. Yes I believe that wasdumb and stupid but I dont suppose youv met very many people from the south of north america have you? I imagine thats what it would be like in the usa if something like that happened.

Have you noticed that in the newer movies the gore factor has been turned down a few notches or is it just me?

Edited by ChrisC098

You're probably right about that. laugh.gif

I have noticed a little in the ways of the gore factor being down. However, once you see Shaun of the Dead, you'll change your tune. It's the gorest movie i have seen in a very long time. And gone are the terrible effects and blue skin of the past, these are awesome gore effects. I thought Dawn remake was pretty gory too to be honest.

I liked the feeling of being alone in 28 Days too. But i especially liked it in the Dawn remake. How you could see it happening around you, see people being eaten but can't do nothing to save them, and then you're alone in the woods, yanno?

Resident Evil movies didn't have enough post-apocalyptic stuff. No matter what, there's a place out there free of zombies, yanno? Not in the remake of Dawn though, no matter what, there are zombies everywhere. I think that's great.

Whats that supposed to mean? laugh.gif

Yes i like the feeling of being alone but its always gone after 20 minutes or so. I want to see a movie with one man running from zombie like resident evil. Sure you see people from time to time but your usually alone. Being alone makes everything 20 times scarier in my opinion.

Ill probably get Shaun tomorow and then ill see what your talking about. Sure the blue makeup was horrible but somehow it feels right for the movies. Like without the blue zombies they wouldnt be the same ya know?

Resident Evil was just pure cheese through and through which im fine with. I dont really think of them as a true zombie movie though. The first i could possibly take as a zombie movie but the second one was just lickers and nemesis in my opinion.

i loved the new DotD! i thought it was a very gory movie. its probably my fav normal zombie movie. its a lot better than the original, which i dont like much anyways. but i like that in the RE movies, they still used the slow moving zombies, and made them all extremely fast like in the other newer zombie movies. i dont really like 28 days later that much. i did the first time i saw it, but then i realized how crappy it was. the atmosphere in the movie is good, but the way it plays out and the things happen isnt good enough. it kinda ruins the whole thing.

I've seen my share of zombie movies...probably not as many as u guys...but if I had to take it on a personal level- I would prefer the slow moving ones than the fast ones....makes an easier get away. laugh.gif

The fact that a zombie could run and catch up with u really makes u think...this MF is hungry....so it would probably catch me considering it's been a while since I have run for any long period of time.

Yeah they're not known for their zombie-ness in truth.

The original Resident Evil script was alot closer to the original game, written by George A Romero himself, he was the original director and the script involved a military squad (STARS) infiltrating the suspected hideout of a gang of murderers (The Spenser Estate) and battling off against zombies and a crazy computer controlling the mansion and labs under the mansion that killed everyone like in the movie.

It was changed though because it was 'too zombie' and that's not what capcom wanted. So Paul ANderson was called in and 'huzzah' we got the movie.

I would have prefered Romeros i guess.

I'd like to see a follow-up to the Dawn Remake. It's the only one where things don't end all nice and wrapped up. In Shaun, well i don't want to spoil it, but the infection is local and gets contained quickly. In Resident, same thing, local infection, contained and eliminated. In 28 Days all the zombies died off and they were saved, etc etc. But in Dawn, it seems the outbreak has affected the whole world. At the end they find a zombie on a boat, suggesting that the zombies are not only in america. Then they land and are attacked by more zombies somewhere, suggesting that zombies have taken over the planet. What do you do when NOWHERE is safe, eh?

HolyDevil: That makes the faster zombies scarier, no?

If we had an outbreak, i'd prefer the slow dudes of course. For movies, i think i like that fast ones. They work on a different level of fear.

dude, there is gonna be a direct sequel to the Dawn remake, so ive heard. hopefuly its true. that was an AWESOME movie ( i especially loved it when the guy blew Andys head off). i liked the ending in it too. it was kinda like that "completely hopeless" ending because NO PLACE was safe at all. if you watch that news report thing on the DVD special features, you can see how many places in the US are infested. its pretty cool.

The definetelly should have gone with romeros script I always like how his scripts has layers that if you looked at it over and over again you could see something different or you could just see people being eaten by zombies.

The resident evils and the remake of dawn just felt to summer block buster to me for me to truley except them. They are good but I still put the old movies on a pedistal above all others.

BS in the remake was the infection caused by a meteor like in the old one?

I'm not sure, i didn't catch what caused the infection but i think they mentioned a virus. I haven't watched the specials yet, gonna do that tonight. Dis didn't wanna watch them because the movie was scary and we were stoned. laugh.gif What should i watch out for most?

I agree HD, i loved the ending too. I didn't know there was gonna be a sequel to it, that's interesting. I wonder how they'll pull that off.

Chris, what's your opinion of the Night of the Living Dead remake?

the classics are still ok...i just dont prefer them to the newer movies, cuz the ones today have more action and are scarier.

hey chris, we practically tied in posts grin2.gif

Cool Hdude grin2.gif

Well Im not really sure what you should look for. In the old one i believe they explained it on the radio or tv so you might wanna look out for something like that.

The remake of Night of the living dead hmm. I liked it but it just felt like they were trying to capatalize on the old one. That one is a bit fuzzy in my head at the moment its been a while since ive seen it though but I remember it was ok. I liked it a bit more than the dawn remake just because dawn is my hands down favorite zombie movie.

I like the old ones because there not actiony and scary in my opinion thats not what zombie movies are about but hey thats just me. Im not saying zombie action movies are bad though. grin2.gif

i presonally would have liked to see what Romeros version of RE would have been like. how can a zombie movie be too zombie-ish? that makes no sense. but it would have been interesting to have more authentic zombies like in the games.

i didnt like Day of the Dead at all. i thought it was really boring and not much happened at all.

wouldnt the original Evil Dead be considered a zombie movie?

well its been called a zombie movie many times, and it even says that on the back of the movie box. so...i dont know...

I'm a fan of the fabled Return of the Living Dead myself.

Which one was it where the zombies used the cop radio to call in more cops so they could eat them? hahaha too funny.

Evil Dead is definately not a zombie movie, it's just called that by people who have either never seen it or didn't get it. It's demons, not zombies. They were possessed, not infected.

Resident Evil is not strickly about zombies either. It's about viral weaponry and evil corporations, monsters genetically engineered. Romeros script had nothing by zombies, and capcom decided it wasn't residen evil enough.