Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Antares Rocket Explodes After Launch

Waspie_Dwarf

The Antares rocket carrying the 3rd Cygnus commercial resupply mission to the space station has just exploded 6 seconds after lift-off.

The vehicle had cleared the launch tower when there was a clear explosion at the base of the rocket (my suspicion is a catastrophic engine failure). The rocket then fell from the sky in flames, falling back onto the launch pad and exploding.

This was an uncrewed launch and NASA are stating that no ground personnel were in danger. Fires are still burning around the pad but damage is limited to the launch facility.

What happened? Any news yet?

My posts tell you what happened. That IS the news.

As to why it happened, do you really think that even NASA can determine what caused an extraordinarily complex piece of technology to fail in a few minutes whilst they can't even get near the site because of the fires that are burning?

Antares Launch Failure

The Antares launch vehicle carrying the third Cygnus commercial resupply mission to the Space Station explodes 6 seconds after lift-off.

Credit: NASA

Source: NASA - Multimedia

Bummer, glad it was an unmanned rocket. :hmm:

Almost looks like it brushed the bottom of the gantry going up.

Almost looks like it brushed the bottom of the gantry going up.

The key words here are "almost" and "looks like".

Since the bottom of the gantry is close to the bottom of the rocket it would be impossible for it to look as if the rocket hadn't ALMOST brushed the gantry.

As the gantry was swung out of the way before launch then any actually collision is highly unlikely.

It is even more unlikely that a collision between rocket and gantry would only have an effect 6 seconds later when the vehicle was 100 metres above the gantry.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf

Its so sad that media groups like CNN , FOX ect jump right on the C.T`s train of thought ! THey already are saying that the Crypto-tech on board was for some unknown use`s ! WHat a crock ! Can Mark Kelly even de-trump the bad ink that NASA gets? I hope so THe Media needs to stay away from real News ! Please ! Its sad we now have to re-supply the crew`s and ASAP ! :tu:

My posts tell you what happened. That IS the news.

As to why it happened, do you really think that even NASA can determine what caused an extraordinarily complex piece of technology to fail in a few minutes whilst they can't even get near the site because of the fires that are burning?

To be fair, they have an immense amount of telemetry of all kinds streaming in, so it is possible that what went wrong became perfectly obvious just before the final event. But they would rightly withhold that info until it was all properly looked at and a full conclusion is reached.

These are sad days, with NASA getting reduced funding, having to hitch rides with other countries, and now this setback. I for one miss Wernher and the Saturn V - sometimes simpler old-fashioned good engineering wins out over fancy modern technologies with all that added complexity..

Added - BTW, watching that video, at just one second before launch there seems to be some outgassing on the left side of the rocket just above the nozzles, and then when the image changes as it lifts off a pillar of fire seems to stretch up the left side, followed by more smoke/outgassing... maybe nothing to do with it, but it looked a bit worng to me..

Edited by ChrLzs

NASA Holds News Conference (October 28) Following Orbital Launch Mishap :

[media=]

[/media] Edited by toast

60 miles north of my location and we were all standing outside waiting to see it streak across the sky. It was supposed to launch the night before, coincidentally 4 minutes before the ISS passed overhead, and they aborted because a sailboat entered the warning area. I am sure they will be looking carefully at how that may have played into this mishap.

Obviously, there was a breech in the anti-matter containment field.

Edited by Dr.Cricket
  • Like 1

Seems to me the booster separated.

No boosters in use, so no accidental booster separation.

The russian engines used to power the antares had some history behind them, already. http://phys.org/news...nt-failure.html

Russian engines would have been my first guess for the cause of failure.

I was initially reminded of the Russian rocket which exploded after an apparent interception by a UFO. Admittedly, there was no obvious candidate in the clip shown but the possibility shouldn't be so easily dismissed.

Wow, over a half-ton of food. That's a lot of food. Food Supply 1360.3 pounds/617 kg

Yeah and it was just cabbage for the German guy who is up there.

:lol:

• Like 3