Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * - - - 3 votes

why do people believe dinosaurs exist

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#46    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 30,211 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:10 PM

View Postpallidin, on 24 March 2013 - 06:03 PM, said:

Right. Very few, if any, would have survived extinction.

However, especially with sea creatures, this might be possible.

But land-based dinosaurs, even in remote jungles, seems unlikely. During such a long time, one would think there would be significant evolutionary changes(such as birds), as opposed to a massive dinosaur family roaming remote jungles. But who knows!

Maybe one will turn-up. Not holding my breath on that, though.

All dinos lived on land.  The flyers and swimmers were lizards, like the crocs. today are.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#47    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,298 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:26 PM

Yes there were no sea dinosaurs, as you said there were other non-dinosaurs marine reptiles such as Ichthyosaurs and Plesiosaurs, etc.

Technically today's penguins are avian dinosaurs, so they're sea dinosaurs, and during the Cretaceous there were a strange set of sea birds which had nearly lost their wings and swam with their giant splayed feet - http://www.dinosaurj...histori…

#48    TheSearcher

TheSearcher

Coffee expert extraordinair

• 3,845 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:26 AM

View PostMetalShinobi, on 23 March 2013 - 06:35 AM, said:

Same thing as religion, your told some thing is real since your a child so you just accept it as fact. Only difference in the instance of dinosaurs there is hard evidence.

OK please start providing said hard evidence. Contrary to what you say, not everyone accepts things as fact, I for one rarely have.

View Postdanielost, on 24 March 2013 - 06:10 PM, said:

All dinos lived on land.  The flyers and swimmers were lizards, like the crocs. today are.

I don't think "lizards" is the right word. Marine reptiles covers all the bases, ancient and new.

It is only the ignorant who despise education.
Publilius Syrus.

So god made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?!

#49    Insanity

Insanity

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

• "Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal..." - H.P. Lovecraft, "The Tomb", Published 1922

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:26 PM

View Postdanielost, on 24 March 2013 - 06:02 PM, said:

Elephants only digest about half of what it eats.

Correct, and as it is with many herbivores, their typical food is fairly low in nutrients.  I'd be willing to bet if we to try to survive on the same sustenance, we'd died from malnutrition in short time.  Incidentally, human digestion apparently has a maximum efficiency or bioavailability of 80%, though the average seems to be 50% to 60%.

"We see things only as we are constructed to see them, and can gain no idea of their absolute nature. With five feeble senses we pretend to comprehend the boundlessly complex cosmos, yet other beings with wider, stronger, or different range of senses might not only see very differently the things we see, but might see and study whole worlds of matter, energy, and life which lie close at hand yet can never be detected with the senses we have." - H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond" Published 1934

#50    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 30,211 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:22 AM

View PostInsanity, on 26 March 2013 - 09:26 PM, said:

Correct, and as it is with many herbivores, their typical food is fairly low in nutrients.  I'd be willing to bet if we to try to survive on the same sustenance, we'd died from malnutrition in short time.  Incidentally, human digestion apparently has a maximum efficiency or bioavailability of 80%, though the average seems to be 50% to 60%.

Survival experts say if you have to survive eat what the little mammels eat not the large ones.  Although you can eat bark, lots of fiber there.

There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#51    Finity

Finity

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:40 PM

I don't think it would even be possible for some of the larger ones to survive now. The oxygen levels were much higher in dino times, which means everything could grow much bigger (including insects). Most likely they would slowly sufficate on modern Earth. It would be like us trying to breath up the tallest mountains, if you stay up to long the oxygen in the blood drops too low and you die.

Edited by Finity, 27 March 2013 - 11:48 PM.

#52    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 30,211 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:49 AM

View PostFinity, on 27 March 2013 - 11:40 PM, said:

I don't think it would even be possible for some of the larger ones to survive now. The oxygen levels were much higher in dino times, which means everything could grow much bigger (including insects). Most likely they would slowly sufficate on modern Earth. It would be like us trying to breath up the tallest mountains, if you stay up to long the oxygen in the blood drops too low and you die.

None of the dinos could survive today.  They lack a diaphram, which means they couldn't get enough air in their lungs.

#53    Insanity

Insanity

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

• "Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal..." - H.P. Lovecraft, "The Tomb", Published 1922

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:24 AM

View Postdanielost, on 28 March 2013 - 12:49 AM, said:

None of the dinos could survive today.  They lack a diaphram, which means they couldn't get enough air in their lungs.

A diaphragm is not the only anatomical means of drawing air into the respiratory system.  Birds do not have a diaphragm, yet their respiratory system is the most efficient of all modern vertebrates.

"We see things only as we are constructed to see them, and can gain no idea of their absolute nature. With five feeble senses we pretend to comprehend the boundlessly complex cosmos, yet other beings with wider, stronger, or different range of senses might not only see very differently the things we see, but might see and study whole worlds of matter, energy, and life which lie close at hand yet can never be detected with the senses we have." - H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond" Published 1934

#54    Red Moon

Red Moon

Angry werewolf girl

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:40 AM

Cases like these you mean:
the Mokele Mmembe,
weird "pteredon"s,
loch ness monster.

Could it be possible that these are undiscovered animals who live in remote places?
You ask how dinosaurs could'nt have survived the earth's changing climate and catastrophes but other animals i.e. crocodiles did.
Food, being vast size but very large animals don't have to live off giant prey.
I'm not suggesting dinosaurs still exist.

#55    Geldoblam

Geldoblam

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:02 AM

What about tiny dinosaurs or marine reptiles in the deepest seas?

#56    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 30,211 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:30 PM

View PostGeldoblam, on 28 March 2013 - 08:02 AM, said:

What about tiny dinosaurs or marine reptiles in the deepest seas?

The marine reptiles have to breath.  Which is why there couldn't be asny in lakes, we'd see them.

#57    Stardrive

Stardrive

Resident Bass Guitarist

• 3,220 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:20 PM

View Postdanielost, on 28 March 2013 - 01:30 PM, said:

The marine reptiles have to breath.  Which is why there couldn't be asny in lakes, we'd see them.
But we see turtles in lakes all the time....

Posted Image

#58    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 30,211 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:22 PM

View PostStardrive, on 28 March 2013 - 09:20 PM, said:

But we see turtles in lakes all the time....
I meant the large ones from dino time.  And you made my point, we see turtles becaese they have to come for air.

#59    Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

• Hi. My name is Spike.

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:19 PM

I'd be pretty bummed if it came out dinosaurs weren't real :w00t: I'm quite the dino nerd. :tu:

Pretty hard to argue they never existed. Atmosphere levels were different back then, everything was big - even stuff like spiders. If one of those suckers were alive today, it'd probably feed on people, they were that big.

It's the mass extinction I have a problem getting my head around.

You can go the distance, you can run the mile and you can walk straight through HELL with a smile.

My UM Credentials: http://www.unexplain...5

#60    issues

issues

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:46 AM

View PostWatchingTheStars, on 27 February 2013 - 12:08 AM, said:

I think that living dinosaurs are extremely unlikely. It's been more than 65 million years since the extinction of the dinosaurs. I'd think they would've evolved into something, died out, been discovered, etc. Also, I'm assuming that Earth has changed in many ways since the reign of the dinosaurs. How would they cope with the new environment? Would it have the same food they would need? The same prey/predators? The geography and climate? And the list goes on.

And if it was a large dinosaur, it would be very easy to discover. Not only due to its size, but think about the waste it would leave behind, the tracks, the signs of its habitat, its feeding grounds, etc. And this is just for one of these large creatures. If there were more for a breeding population, then take all that and multiply it by however many creatures you need to have a stable population. For the small dinosaurs, I would believe that it would still leave behind evidence of its existence. And I refer to reasons I have stated in the first paragraph.

I don't think we want a real-life Jurassic Park incident happening anyways.
Coelacanth springs to mind quite readily

Edited by issues, 24 June 2013 - 02:47 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users