Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Theistic evolution

Potholer

I went to a discussion on Creationism on wednesday and I thought I'd share something I was told.

Theistic evolution is the belief that God created earth AND evolution. Those who believe in this (as far as I know) don't take the 6 days of creation literally - they say that each day could have been millions or billions of years long, after all, who is to say how long a day is to God?

But, according to the pastor who gave the talk (a literal creationist and who studied theology at university for 3 years) the word used for "day" in the original hebrew bible was the word "yom" which, in hebrew, means a literal 24 hour day.

So yes. I hope no one takes this as an attack on their beliefs, just thought I'd share

original.gif

Potholer

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Potholer

• Stellar

• Hotoke

• Something Like Laughter

Top Posters In This Topic

There are several different types of creationism out there. The Devout shouldn't think they have to limit themselves to any one particular kind.

Potholder,

Grab a lexicon. You can find one free at www.blueletterbible.org

The pastor is right, but he wasnt giving you all the information.

Yom is indeed the hebrew word for day, both 24 hours and day as opposed to night. however, it can also mean an indefinite period of time much like the english word age. this is often reffered to as the day-age interpretation.

But, according to the pastor who gave the talk (a literal creationist and who studied theology at university for 3 years) the word used for "day" in the original hebrew bible was the word "yom" which, in hebrew, means a literal 24 hour day.

A day for us means literally 24 hours... so why does him saying, in essence, 24 hours change anything? The same logic you applied to the "day" point could be used for 24 hours. How do we know how long 24 hours is for god?

I went to a discussion on Creationism on wednesday and I thought I'd share something I was told.

Theistic evolution is the belief that God created earth AND evolution. Those who believe in this (as far as I know) don't take the 6 days of creation literally - they say that each day could have been millions or billions of years long, after all, who is to say how long a day is to God?

So yes. I hope no one takes this as an attack on their beliefs, just thought I'd share

original.gif

Potholer

483080[/snapback]

It was said that the 7 days were 7 thousand years as one Heaven day is 1000 Earth years. So, it LITERALLY is 7 days, just in different timing. The same with Adam. He died on the DAY he ate the apple, in Earth years, he was a few years off being 1000 years old.

whats so special about an apple..

its an APPLE ! and has vitamin F lol

Edited by whoa182

A day for us means literally 24 hours... so why does him saying, in essence, 24 hours change anything? The same logic you applied to the "day" point could be used for 24 hours. How do we know how long 24 hours is for god?

483330[/snapback]

A literal 24 hour day as in, one rotation of the earth as in, the day which we percieve and experience now. A human, 24 hour day. At least that is how I understood it.

It was said that the 7 days were 7 thousand years as one Heaven day is 1000 Earth years. So, it LITERALLY is 7 days, just in different timing. The same with Adam. He died on the DAY he ate the apple, in Earth years, he was a few years off being 1000 years old.

483399[/snapback]

Adam died? I thought he and Eve were exiled from the garden after they ate the apple?

Potholder,

Grab a lexicon. You can find one free at www.blueletterbible.org

The pastor is right, but he wasnt giving you all the information.

Yom is indeed the hebrew word for day, both 24 hours and day as opposed to night. however, it can also mean an indefinite period of time much like the english word age. this is often reffered to as the day-age interpretation.

So it can mean both and therefore, again it's up to the individual as to which meaning they take?

What's a lexicon and where abouts on the blueletter site do I get it?

Oh and the name's Potholer not holder wink2.gif

Thanks everyone original.gif

Edited by Potholer

A literal 24 hour day as in, one rotation of the earth as in, the day which we percieve and experience now. A human, 24 hour day. At least that is how I understood it.

But whats 24 hours for god?

It isn't a day from God's perception but a day from our perception. It doesn't matter what 24 hours is to God because it isn't a "God's day" it's a "human day"

I'm not sure how to make what I'm trying to say any clearer.

True, what is 24hours to God? But 24 hours to us is one day within our lifetime. We can experience a human 24 hour day but we don't even know what constitutes a God day and the kind of length of time that some people propose a Day is we cannot possibly live through.

It isn't a day from God's perception but a day from our perception. It doesn't matter what 24 hours is to God because it isn't a "God's day" it's a "human day"

So where did the "Gods day" come from when talking about the 1-7 days?

So it can mean both and therefore, again it's up to the individual as to which meaning they take?

What's a lexicon and where abouts on the blueletter site do I get it?

Oh and the name's Potholer not holder wink2.gif

Thanks everyone original.gif

483533[/snapback]

A lexicon is just a fancy word for a dictionary. on the blueletter site, you can either enter a bible reference or search for a word. out next to the verses are several buttons. the button labeled 'C' leads to the lexicon info for that particular verse.

sorry about the name.

Ah, ok then, thanks Something Like Laughter original.gif

So where did the "Gods day" come from when talking about the 1-7 days?

484093[/snapback]

'Twas my attempt at making what I was trying to say clearer. You said "What is 24 hours to God?" and I was separating God's perception of a day from our perception by calling God's perception a God day. Clarifying it that way didn't work so forget it.

I'm trying to work out whether you're just finding something to disagree about just to be contrary though I thought you would be too mature to do something as immature as that, so I guess you aren't?

original.gif

Potholer

Edited by Potholer

the bible clearly speaks of instant generation

i dont see how evolution is explained by any religion

483576[/snapback]

Not all religions believe on the Bible, only Christianity does...

the bible clearly speaks of instant generation

483576[/snapback]

Not all religions believe on the Bible, only Christianity does...

484741[/snapback]

did i ever mentioned that everyone believes in the bible?

you know that last line:

it is meant to be taken that way.

no religion speaks of evolution

Edited by Hotoke

Hmmm...since i was a boy this Genesis always confused me.

On the 4th day lights appear to separate the day and night, but the first day already started if that is a 24 hour period.

This question never ends until i die.