Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

SETI- Is it a waste of time & money?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1    Magikman

Magikman

Most Exalted member of the first 15

• 6,280 posts

• "Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur"

Posted 18 June 2001 - 06:58 PM

Dowdy,

Just by coincidence I was attempting to respond to your inquiry when your original post disappeared last night. I thought you had deleted it. Anyway, for those who are wondering what this is about, Dowdy basically questioned whether too much time and money was being spent on SETI by various governments of the world(if I mis-interpeted this Dowdy, feel free to correct me.) He had a problem seeing any benefit from a project that wouldn't show immediate results because of the time delay involved in any successful communication. He believes any monies ear-marked for this type of research would be better spent on more immediate and pressing social-economic problems.

Besides the fact that I believe the Webmaster to be an alien  :D, and responsible for the deletion of Dowdy's original post :P, this is how I tried to respond to Dowdy's post;

I'm not entirely sure about the rest of the world, but I know that the US government stopped allocating monies to the SETI project years ago. It is now funded entirely by corportate and private donations, and any government facilities used are paid for out of these donations. Click on the following link for more information;

http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

The intention of the SETI project was a proper one, as man's curiosity about the possibility of other intelligent life in the Universe was natural. Its difficult for people to believe that we may be the only intelligent life around. Unfortunately, the lack of success in the years of searching proved to its many detractors just what you have stated, it was a waste of time and money, and therefore the project was ended. Truth be known, it was beneficial to other aspects of astronomy, as knowledge of pulsars and other anomolies were greatly inhanced by research done by SETI. However, many people subscribe to your way of thinking, if we were lucky enough to come across an intelligent signal in the vastness of space, how would mankind benefit from any communication that may take hundreds or even thousands of years to complete? Forgeting for the moment the unproven claims of contact with 'outworlders', you would think the discovery of any intelligent transmission would be the most incredible scientific accomplishment ever. It would seem we humans are an impatient lot, and we require more immediate benefits from our efforts.

The SETI@HOME project is a rather inovative way to continue its research. Those who are interested and want to share in any possible discovery can contribute to the project. Click on the link above to find out how.

I somewhat agree with you, Dowdy. Not so much as to it being a waste of time and money, but of its overall importance. A greater, more immediate danger is receiving even less attention, that of earth crossing meteorites. I would like to see a greater effort put forth in finding and tracking NEO's(Near Earth Objects). Current projects are under-funded and poorly staffed, with a very low priority given to its efforts. Considering the consequences the world would face if we were to be struck by a meteorite, you would think considerable attention would be given to this.

MAGIKMAN

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. ~ Carl Sagan

"...man has an irrepressible tendency to read meaning into the buzzing confusion of sights and sounds impinging on his senses; and where no agreed meaning can be found, he will provide it out of his own imagination." ~ Arthur Koestler

#2    reese92

reese92

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 246 posts

Posted 02 July 2001 - 06:19 PM

:o
I am responding to this for several reasons, first I must say that I agree with the previous post, but only to a certain extent.  I think that if anyone thinks that there is "no one" watching the important things, such as NEO's; then you are sadly just another ant amongst the ant hill.  Why would there be a need of any underground tunnels, facilities, and a whole, vast, underground stem of officials that are partaking in things, that are highly secretive??
 Ok, here it goes, I have been to a military installation that is very deep and eerily blank.  What it means, who knows?  Why it is there, again, who knows?  But do you think that it could posssibly be for the protection of a pre-selected few??  (rumored to be a list 600,000 strong) I have done my research on this topic.  There are rumored to be many underground facilities all connected to each other by way of a sort of underground rail system.  They are rumored to have a full working Gov't, hospitals, restaurants, side walks, the whole nine yards.  Since I did not go inside, and sadly, my Astral Projector wasn't working that night, I don't have any more answers than when I went to it.  Well to say the least, the one that I have encountered, was very clearly staked out amoungst fields of country houses, cows and corn.  It had several farmhouses surrounding the outer perimeter, which in circumference is app. 10-15 miles around.  Now upon further inspection of the surrounding area, the houses were empty, not completely, furnished to some degree, but peopleless??  Strange I know, but it seemed to only get stranger.  When we went further onto what was clearly marked Gov't property, there were several strange buildings.  They were shaped like Scud Missiles, rounding off at the top, but yet building like, with a door, that was heavy, and very much locked.  What those were, well again, Astral Projector in the shop, so I have no idea.  Something is going on?  What is the purpose, that is just something that I don't know?  Teresa   :-*

#3    Magikman

Magikman

Most Exalted member of the first 15

• 6,280 posts

• "Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur"

Posted 02 July 2001 - 11:18 PM

:P

MAGIKMAN

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. ~ Carl Sagan

"...man has an irrepressible tendency to read meaning into the buzzing confusion of sights and sounds impinging on his senses; and where no agreed meaning can be found, he will provide it out of his own imagination." ~ Arthur Koestler

#4    reese92

reese92

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 246 posts

Posted 02 July 2001 - 11:25 PM

HEHEHE, Oh come now, is that the best you've got??
Smooches,   Teresa :-*

#5    reese92

reese92

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 246 posts

Posted 04 July 2001 - 04:59 AM

:-*  I must say that you eminate sheer brilliance, with every smiley you send, haha   ;)
    Teresa :-*

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users