Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

Strange Case: Capt. Michael O'Mara

unsolved true crime strange case

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 7,055 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 02 June 2012 - 01:59 AM

View PostRuthe, on 01 June 2012 - 02:20 PM, said:

The briefcase was in the car and his wife said he was going to stop at his office, he owned his own investigating company, sounded like it was close by, and one of them could have followed him or the police said he called in "in service" as he would have to be on duty to fill up! They knew where he was going and I believe waiting for him! Many times when I was out on bond, they use to stop me, ask for my license, and just to delay me so I would be late for work!

View PostRuthe, on 01 June 2012 - 02:41 PM, said:

As Jonathathan said about the autopsy report, they probably won't give it to you, although they should under the Freedom of information, but they will come up with some excuse, "ongoing investigation, etc" but it doesn't matter as Dr.DiMaio shot down their report!
Yeah I got a general gist of the issue with the briefcase from Jonathon's article link.  However, on the Unsolved Mysteries Episode he was distinctly carrying the briefcase with him to the car.  If they were doing a re-inactment was it based on the statements of his wife and family or did they just get that wrong?

Also with the autopsy, yep that was one lame document what was reported of it and how odd is that?  When one of their own is dead a police force would typically leave no stone unturned, yet at every opportunity they seem to have done the opposite and muddied the waters, right from the get go even when they told the wife 2 1/2 later that her husband was dead and had committed suicide - that is a glaring red flag right there.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#17    JonathanVonErich

JonathanVonErich

Telekinetic

• Banned
  • 7,519 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 12:32 AM

Don't worry Ruthe, I'm still working on this case. I just don't have much free time right now, lot of work and I'm not even at home right now ( I'm spending the next 2 weeks in Charlevoix, one hour from where I live, got a job there ), but I'll try to share all the information you gave me before the end of the week. :tu:

Edited by JonathanVonErich, 06 June 2012 - 12:33 AM.

#18    Ruthe

Ruthe

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 01:25 AM

View PostRuthe, on 12 June 2012 - 01:23 AM, said:

View PostJonathanVonErich, on 06 June 2012 - 12:32 AM, said:

Don't worry Ruthe, I'm still working on this case. I just don't have much free time right now, lot of work and I'm not even at home right now ( I'm spending the next 2 weeks in Charlevoix, one hour from where I live, got a job there ), but I'll try to share all the information you gave me before the end of the week. :tu:

View PostRuthe, on 12 June 2012 - 01:23 AM, said:

#19    Ruthe

Ruthe

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 01:50 AM

Don't worry I totally understand!  I work as a waitress and I work most of the parties, the weekends are very long for me! Trying to go to school and work is difficult and I know I got your interest with my letter! When I fill in some of the other information it really sounds unbelievable! Everything I said in the letter was true fact! I may have typed a wrong name or a date was the day before or after but at 69 yrs old I have so much I was trying to say, I could have written 200 pages instead of 14!  At 200 I would still have had hundreds more to write!! :) I am starting follow up calls and copies to more people! I don't want them to think I wrote that one letter and will stop! I did send a copy to O'Mara's brother who I found as the assistant pastor of a catholic church in the south suburbs of Chicago, sent a copy to Dr.Dimaio, the forensic they hired-he is on the board of The Texas board of forensics .  I also sent one to Brian Dennehy, the actor, by way of the Goodman Theater in Chicago where he is performing right now !  I asked him to please help me get a hold of Jack Reed who was a Lieutenant with the sheriffs police and a good friend of O'Mara's ! Reed was portrayed by Dennehy in 3 made for tv movies and although I didn't see the movies, I am buying a copy of them and reading about the movies it sounds like they all were about O'mara! Well take care I have to work a double tomorrow and need some rest! Thanks again for everything and any suggestions from you or anyone else will be greatly appreciated!

#20    MstrMsn

MstrMsn

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

• "If you don't like the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question!"

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:41 AM

Well, aside from the lack of supporting evidence, there is 1 major thing to note:

People that commit suicide by shooting themselves don't shoot themselves in the forehead. They typically put the barrell in their mouth (a family man would do this mainly so they can have an open casket - morticians weren't that good back in the 80s to patch a bullet wound in the front parts of the head).

Also (came to me as an after thought), why did the coronor's report take so long? Even back then, tox screens and bloodwork didn't take more than a few days (unless there was something they couldn't identify easily), and those are usually what takes the longest.

We are born with 2 fears: Falling, and loud noises, all others are LEARNED.
You say fear is all in the mind. I say you are right; for it is our imagination that makes things seem scary.
If you want to learn how to not be afraid, ask.

#21    regi

regi

Poltergeist

• 2,552 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 01:32 PM

I agree with the man in that current article who said that he could believe it was an accident...that "he tripped".
I think that's exactly what happened because the evidence correlates perfectly with that scenario.
Obviously, something caught his attention while he was pumping gas...so, he went to investigate with his gun and flashlight, and he tripped over the rock.
It accounts for the nozzle in the gas tank, the distance of the shot, the facial lacerations, and that he was slumped over the rock.

#22    wolfknight

wolfknight

Psychic Spy

• 1,658 posts

• There is nothing to Fear, but fear itself

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:40 PM

I think his past caught up with him. Most suicides by gun are in the mouth, side of the head or under the chin. Not between the eyes. I believe he had help in this.

#23    Bruin26

Bruin26

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:40 AM

I am interested in this and this letter from Ruthe.

#24    Lorelilly

Lorelilly

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 44 posts

• Godís drifting in heaven, devilís in the mailbox
    I got dust on my shoes, nothing but teardrops.

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:27 AM

View PostJonathanVonErich, on 06 June 2012 - 12:32 AM, said:

No word yet on Ruthe's letter? ....?

pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart until in our despair there comes wisdom through the awful grace of God  ~Aeschylus

#25    druan

druan

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 16 posts

• im itchy

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:52 AM

Someone let us in on this? Jve, ruthe? It's been a year

#26    toyomotor

toyomotor

Grumpy Old Coot

• 1,448 posts

• The careful application of terror is also a form of communication.

Posted 04 July 2014 - 02:32 AM

View PostJonathanVonErich, on 31 May 2012 - 01:07 AM, said:

Possible, after all mr. O'Mara was behind many raids against the Mafia from Illinois, it's possible that he had enemys.

The question I have is: If indeed it was suicide, why would he bring his flashlight with him ?? And why would he kill himself while pumping gas ( the gas nozzle was still in the tank when the body was found ) ?? The way the body was found ( slumped over a rock in the middle of the lawn ) looks like the body might have been placed there by somebody, I just can't imagine somebody shooting himself in the head while being in that position, or can't believe that his body felt in that position.

Also his wife said that before he left the house, Michael said he was going to buy yogurt, then asked her what flavor she wanted. If he was going to kill himself why would he talk about buying yogurt ?? Doesn't make any sense to me.

My guess is that he saw something suspicious while he was pumping, possibly a drug deal or somebody wanted by the authorities, he went to investigate instead of calling for backup, then was killed.

Makes sense to me.

Why indeed would he leave the petrol nozzle in the tank of his car, to walk a short distance and commit suicide.

There is absolutely no proof at all that human beings actually communicate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users