Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Sirius Connection

Machala2012

Many cultures all over the world depict the Star of Sirius in thier Text and in the way they built their Ancient monuments. Could this be becuase of some knowledge that was provided by Et's to show us where they came from, or do you believe that its just myths and stories that revolve around the brightest star in the night sky? Please comment and Discuss :D

My vote is myths and stories - many of them made up in the last couple of centuries and grafted onto ancient sites that had no actual alignment to Sirius when they were built.

• Like 2

I can agree with that, I feel like it just seems logical that something so bright in the sky could give way to some of the stories we hear today.

Indeed it seems possible when the sky is clear on a winters evening Orions belt always draws my eye so I can understand that ancient peoples would look up and the brightness of Sirius would draw their gaze - and stories would have grown about how it was a particular gods light or whatever I suppose.

• Like 2

I guess that's the biggest thing with Ancient Mysteries, its a 10,000 year old game of telephone. So trying to figure out what to take as supernatural and what to precieve as cultural lore is diifficult to distinguish.

And the explanation is quite easy: Sirius is the most reliable indicator for sowing and reaping times. No mystery here.... excerpt for those who out of boredom want to create one (or write a book to pull a fast one on the Marks).

Edited by questionmark
  • Like 3

Many cultures all over the world depict the Star of Sirius in thier Text and in the way they built their Ancient monuments. Could this be becuase of some knowledge that was provided by Et's to show us where they came from, or do you believe that its just myths and stories that revolve around the brightest star in the night sky? Please comment and Discuss :D

List the cultures, please, because I'd like to know what you mean by "many" (5, 10, 25, 4,000?)

Is this something you researched and checked for yourself, or are you just reposting a claim you saw -- a claim you didn't check? I can think of a quick dozen cultures --and more -- where there are no monuments or particular deities associated with Sirius (Viking, Bushmen, Navajo, Tlinglit, Celts, Amung, Ainu, Yali, Romans, Greeks, Hittites, Sami, Inuit, Inupiat, Yupiks, the San, the Ainu, Caledonians, Teutoni, Cherusci, etc.) In addition, a lot of the cultures that have traditions about the star are not important traditions that would be associated with monument building.

For example, Romans thought Sirius caused dogs to pant excessively. In fact, here's a whole list of cultures that didn't build monuments to Sirius: http://en.wikipedia....al_significance

So, rather than US "discussing" it, why don't YOU explain just WHICH cultures that it inspired ancient monuments.

(and before you fall too far into the trap, you might check to see whether a culture actually saw a site as sacred/significant. For example, Giza and the Giza pyramids are NOT particularly sacred to the ancient Egyptians. Abydos, yes. That was one of the most sacred spots in Egypt and it's referenced in thousands of tombs (not one of which mentions traveling to Giza in the afterlife.) )

So please discuss. We'll wait to see what you've got.

Edited by Kenemet
  • Like 1

So, rather than US "discussing" it, why don't YOU explain just WHICH cultures that it inspired ancient monuments.

I was about to ask something similar Kenemet, but reading through Machala's posts on this thread it doesn't look much to me as though he's part of the 'Sirius mystery' brigade.

I guess that's the biggest thing with Ancient Mysteries, its a 10,000 year old game of telephone. So trying to figure out what to take as supernatural and what to precieve as cultural lore is diifficult to distinguish.

... But there's an interesting point you raise, Machala; how might you approach that problem? And, if I'm right in my speculation to Kenemet, why did you pick Sirius as a focus for that problem?

• Like 1

Well, its the star isnt it ? Not only is it so bright and noticeable, if you observe it under really clear skies (LIke in the Australian desert. or, I assume, pre pollution times, under good natural conditions ) for some time, constantly, the colour and the intensity is quiet striking.

Do you also think Times Square is the most remarkable thing in New York City, since it's also the brightest point in the five boroughs?

--Jaylemurph

• Like 1

I was about to ask something similar Kenemet, but reading through Machala's posts on this thread it doesn't look much to me as though he's part of the 'Sirius mystery' brigade.

I suspect Machala came across the information recently and, like many of us (I certainly did when I first encountered it) accepted it at face value.

...then I ruined everything by getting a degree in Anthropology and finding out exactly WHAT the cultures were like and what they believed (and learned how to check sources to see if this really is what the people believed, or if someone's misinterpreted it.)

I would say that because Sirius is the brightest star in our skies then it would be the one that primitive cultures anywhere would naturally pick out and glorify.

I suspect Machala came across the information recently and, like many of us (I certainly did when I first encountered it) accepted it at face value.

You could be right - I certainly did. Although Machala sounds rather more clued in than I was when I first came across the Sirius connection stuff.

...then I ruined everything by getting a degree in Anthropology and finding out exactly WHAT the cultures were like and what they believed (and learned how to check sources to see if this really is what the people believed, or if someone's misinterpreted it.)

Sounds like you're the perfect person to be on this thread then Kenemet: "trying to figure out what to take as supernatural and what to precieve as cultural lore" is exactly what Machala seems to be asking for some help with :)

Fact vs Fiction??? nooooooo Ok seriously, yes many cultures don't find the dogstar sacred or anything so why wouldn't they pick the brightest in the night sky?

yes many cultures don't find the dogstar sacred or anything so why wouldn't they pick the brightest in the night sky?

Well, maybe they are cat people.

Harte

• Like 1