Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A Few Rare People Hallucinate Musical Scores

Still Waters

Hallucinatory illnesses come in many forms. Some hear voices in their heads, others see small people, threatening insects or bold colors that don’t exist. Still others, it turns out, hallucinate in musical notes. Neurologist and best-selling author Oliver Sacks describes the phenomenon in a new paper published in the journal Brain.

More than a quarter of patients who suffer from hallucinations manifest those visions as “text hallucinations,” Sacks writes. This could include seeing lines of print, letters, numbers, musical notes or other notations. Musical notes seems to be the rarest form of this type of hallucination.

http://blogs.smithso...musical-scores/

• Like 1

I question whether any of it is an hullucination at all. I think "hallucintory illness" is just a title that doctors put on something that they don't understand. Just because other people can't experience the same thing, IMO doesn't mean it's not real.

• Like 1

I'm working my way through his book now. He seems to specifically address hallucinations that are caused by rare medical conditions that are pretty well documented.

Oliver Sacks has a lot of interesting stories about the subject. I heard his interview from November 5th, 2012 (on the "Point Of Inquiry" podcast).

I question whether any of it is an hullucination at all. I think "hallucintory illness" is just a title that doctors put on something that they don't understand. Just because other people can't experience the same thing, IMO doesn't mean it's not real.

So you mean like the person that has the hallucinations brains working at a higher function than people that dont have hallucination? But its still considered odd thats why doctors call it an illness?