Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Israeli army destroys Gaza homes

Talon

Israeli army destroys Gaza homes

Israeli army bulldozers have torn down the homes of more than 200 Palestinians in the Gaza refugee camp of Khan Yunis, United Nations aid officials say.

The Israeli military says the operation - a day after mortars fired from Khan Yunis killed a Jewish settler - targeted buildings used by militants.

An Israeli missile strike on the camp overnight killed a Palestinian man.

The violence comes amid tight security as Israelis commemorate Yom Kippur, the holiest day in the Jewish calendar.

No refuge

The Israeli operation in Khan Yunis began with the missile strike. The Israelis said it targeted militants but Palestinians said a 55-year-old civilian was killed.

Shortly after midnight Israeli troops, tanks and bulldozers moved into Khan Yunis and began tearing down buildings.

The UN agency which cares for Palestinian refugees, Unrwa, said 60 families - around 230 people in total - had lost their houses or shelters.

One man said he ran with his children as the bulldozers closed in and gunfire sounded in the darkness.

"We were forced to leave the house under intensive shooting from the sky and from tanks," father of four Fathi Zaroub told the Associated Press.

"We took nothing from our belongings. We ran away in our pyjamas and we have no other refuge."

But the Israeli army said the UN's figures for the scale of the destruction were exaggerated and all the buildings destroyed were uninhabited structures used by Palestinian militants for shelling the settlement of Neve Dekalim.

The BBC's Alan Johnston, in Gaza City, says it is not possible for journalists to visit the scene and see for themselves because the Israelis have shut the checkpoint on the road to Khan Yunis.

Settler anger

On Friday, 24-year-old Tiferet Tratner, an Israeli-American woman, was killed when one of four mortars fired from the camp landed on her house in Neve Dekalim.

Hamas militant group claimed responsibility for the attack.

For the more than a million Palestinians in Gaza, the 8,000 or so settlers, who take up a third of the land, are a hated symbol of the Israeli occupation and militants regard them as legitimate targets, our correspondent says.

On Thursday, three Israeli soldiers were killed in an attack by Palestinian militants on another Gaza settlement, Morag.

Recent attacks have further fuelled anger among some settlers over plans by Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon to pull them out of the Gaza Strip and four enclaves in the West Bank.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/3689104.stm

The UN agency which cares for Palestinian refugees, Unrwa, said 60 families - around 230 people in total - had lost their houses or shelters.

One man said he ran with his children as the bulldozers closed in and gunfire sounded in the darkness.

And now that’s 230 more people likely to take up arms. When are people going to realise this circle of hate and violence doesn't end conflict, just breeds it.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Erikl

• Talon

• DC09

• Dowdy

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

"

On Friday, 24-year-old Tiferet Tratner, an Israeli-American woman, was killed when one of four mortars fired from the camp landed on her house in Neve Dekalim.

Hamas militant group claimed responsibility for the attack. "

I wonder why this part only appears in the middle of the article rolleyes.gif, as if it is only another un-significant event in the conflict, when this event was actually the ignitor of the IDF's incursion to the refugee camp?

are a hated symbol of the Israeli occupation and militants regard them as legitimate targets, our correspondent says.

Does the BBC (more correctly known as BS) actually knows what are Hamas ideals?

Does the word Jihad rings a bell?

Does the sentence "destroy Israel and drive all Jews to the sea" is known to the BBC reporter? huh.gif

And now that’s 230 more people likely to take up arms. When are people going to realise this circle of hate and violence doesn't end conflict, just breeds it.

There is no circle of hate here, because most rational Israelis (who comprise the large majority of Israelis) do not hate the Palestinians.

Unfortunately this can't be said about the majority of the Palestinians.

If you read this article carefully, Israel's actions today are the direct result of Palestinian violence in the last week.

Ofcourse with all the BBC editting and subjective reporting, this is difficult to see.

This is quite simple - Palestinians will stop terrorism, and negotiations could resume. Palestinians continue their terrorism and actions to destroy Israel and murder of Israeli citizens, and the IDF will have to stay in the disputed territories and fight terrorists.

I still wonder how people in Britain can believe any word comming out of BBC.

Especially after all the times it was shown to be less than non-credible.

If you want more balanced news, better luck at Al-Jazeera than BBC tongue.gif

Does the BBC (more correctly known as BS) actually knows what are Hamas ideals?

Does the word Jihad rings a bell?

Does the sentence "destroy Israel and drive all Jews to the sea" is known to the BBC reporter?

Apparently not. rolleyes.gif

There is no circle of hate here, because most rational Israelis (who comprise the large majority of Israelis) do not hate the Palestinians.

Unfortunately this can't be said about the majority of the Palestinians.

If you read this article carefully, Israel's actions today are the direct result of Palestinian violence in the last week.

Yep. It's funny how the media seems to completely ignore anything the Palestinians do.

Did you see how the majority of the Arab world reacted when the PM of Iraq shook hands with the Israeli diplomat? wacko.gif

Geez, its pretty apparent who wants peace and who doesn't.

There is no circle of hate here

Yes, yes there is. rolleyes.gif

Excuse me Erikle, I read the article perfectly. rolleyes.gif So what? It doesn’t change the fact 230 people are homeless, and many are now more likely to become terrorists than they would have been a few days ago.

Palestinians continue their terrorism and actions to destroy Israel and murder of Israeli citizens, and the IDF will have to stay in the disputed territories and fight terrorists.

Yep. It's funny how the media seems to completely ignore anything the Palestinians do.

user posted image

Indeed, because I’m sure these children looking through the wreckage that used to be their homes are guilty of being terrorists. tongue.gif Although, after this, they might well grow up to be. rolleyes.gif

Geez, its pretty apparent who wants peace and who doesn't.

Indeed, you go on supporting the military making children homeless and pretend its okay. thumbsup.gif

I still wonder how people in Britain can believe any word comming out of BBC.

Probably because it’s the MAIN UK news station, and unlike you isn’t showing bias will every word.

Edited by Talon S.

After all the car bombings and such, that statement is very hard to believe

There is no circle of hate here

Yes, yes there is.

Cutting sentences again, are we? rolleyes.gif

So what? It doesn’t change the fact 230 people are homeless,

It seems to me that youre list of what's more important is totally in mess...

But what to expect from a person who believes a fence to stop Palestinians from killing Israelis is bad because it will make Palestinians late for work disgust.gif....

Talon, tell me please, how many dead Jews does one Palestinian home worth?

And true, it doesn't change that fact at all, but you should put the finger towards the Palestinian terrorists themselves - they should stop using civilians as living shields! they should stop using civilians' houses to fire missiles from.

But on a second though, if those civilians won't comply to the terrorists, they would be killed. Remember the Palestinian kid who was killed by Fatah terrorists because his family refused to let the terrorists fire missiles from their home.

The solution is regime change, but if Israel would even dare to touch Arafat's balls, Europe will scream from it's pool of hypocricy... disgust.gif

Continue to fund that wacko... that'll help for sure...

Indeed, because I’m sure these children looking through the wreckage that used to be their homes are guilty of being terrorists.

Unfortunately for both of us, Palestinians' actions result in graphic images which I can't show here.

Indeed, you go on supporting the military making children homeless and pretend its okay.

And you go calculate how many dead Jews one Palestinian home worth.

Houses can be rebuilt. Lives can't.

Probably because it’s the MAIN UK news station,

Explains Euro-ignorance about the conflict.

and unlike you isn’t showing bias will every word.

Oh - LMAO LOL laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif !!!!

Edited by Erikl

After all the car bombings and such, that statement is very hard to believe

As I said, most rational Israelis don't hate the Palestinians, and those rationals make the majority of Israelis.

Ofcourse there is a small, but unfortunately growing minority, who hates Palestinians.

Lucky for Israeli democracy though, Israelis don't turn to extremism that easily, even when we are at war for the last 56 years.

"==============================

========== THE WINNER: ==========

BBC - BRITISH BROADCASTING CORPORATION

==============================

The ignoble winner of the Dishonest Reporting "Award" 2001 is the BBC, for consistently demonstrating fierce anti-Israel bias.

In May 2001, BBC fabricated a film clip in an attempt to show Israeli brutality. When Israelis struck a Palestinian base in Gaza, there were no pictures of victims -- since Israel struck at empty buildings. But BBC editors inserted a film clip of Israeli victims of Palestinian terror arriving at an Israeli hospital, to suggest that these were victims of Israeli attack. The newsreader in London, a former BBC correspondent in Israel herself, ended the segment with "These are the pictures from Gaza."

In June 2001, BBC's flagship "Panorama" program

(http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/static/audio_video/programmes/panorama/transcripts/transcript_17_06_01.txt) tried to portray Ariel Sharon as a war criminal, in connection with the Lebanese Christian massacre of Palestinians in Sabra and Shatilla in 1982. An Israeli commission of inquiry decided that Sharon was not responsible for any direct involvement, but BBC asked: "In the light of developments in international war crimes prosecutions... [should] the evidence lead to indictments for what happened in the camps."

Much of BBC's case rested on the view of War Crimes Judge Richard Goldstone, who subsequently accused the BBC of badly distorting the context of his words: "I agreed to speak to [the BBC] as an expert on the law in general, on command responsibility, but I said I would not in any way comment on any liability, criminal or civil, of Ariel Sharon and I didn't do so. I haven't yet seen the program, but if it comes across that way it's incorrect... I certainly didn't comment on the responsibility of Sharon." (Jerusalem Post)

Further, BBC's duplicity in handling the Israeli-Arab conflict was evident in its refusal to label Palestinian atrocities against Israeli civilians as "terrorism." In correspondence with HonestReporting, BBC admitted to a double standard, saying:

"It has long been the policy of the [bBC] domestic service to refer to terrorists in Northern Ireland of any religious persuasion as [terrorists], but the policy of the World Service is not to refer to anyone in those terms."

BBC's coverage was so outrageous that it came under attack by a leading British politician, Iain Duncan Smith, head of the Tory party. "Surely it is time that our national broadcasters, not just, but including the BBC, stopped describing Hamas and Jihad with such euphemisms as radical and militant," Smith declared. "Let us call things what they are: they are terrorist organizations. Such fudging of what Hamas or Islamic Jihad are confers some sort of legitimacy on people who are terrorists."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk_politi...000/1702120.stm

BBC's bias is perhaps summed up best by one of its own employees, Fayad Abu Shamala, the BBC correspondent in Gaza for the past 10 years. Speaking at a Hamas rally on May 6, 2001, he declared:

"Journalists and media organizations [are] waging the campaign shoulder-to-shoulder together with the Palestinian people."

In the face of this blatant violation of journalistic ethics, BBC mustered a pathetic response: "Fayad's remarks were made in a private capacity. His reports have always matched the best standards of balance required by the BBC."

If that is the standards of balance required by the BBC, then there is no doubt: BBC has justly earned the Dishonest Reporting "Award" 2001."

SOURCE

Myths & Facts Online - A Guide to the Arab-Israeli Conflict

An Engineered Tragedy - Statistical Analysis of Casualties in the Palestinian - Israeli Conflict, September 2000 - September 2002

The ignoble winner of the Dishonest Reporting "Award" 2001 is the BBC, for consistently demonstrating fierce anti-Israel bias.

thumbsup.gif

Rock on, Erikl. wink2.gif

Cutting sentences again, are we?

Oh stop being a prat Erikle, you said there isn’t a circle of hate, I say there is, stop trying to imply I’ve miss quoted you.

But what to expect from a person who believes a fence to stop Palestinians from killing Israelis is bad because it will make Palestinians late for work >_>....

Please Erikle, for the integrity of your entire argument, to prove your post isnt full or more lies, please please quote were I have ever said the fence is bad because ‘it will make Palestinians late for work’.

Talon, tell me please, how many dead Jews does one Palestinian home worth?

I ask you how many homeless children committed a terrorist act?

But on a second though, if those civilians won't comply to the terrorists, they would be killed.[

Remember the Palestinian kid who was killed by Fatah terrorists because his family refused to let the terrorists fire missiles from their home.

So that makes it okay for the IDF to go out and kill kids too does it? huh.gif And you the wonder why the EU claims your as bad as them?

Unfortunately for both of us, Palestinians' actions result in graphic images which I can't show here.

So that magically means the child looking through the wasted house doesn’t count does it?

And you go calculate how many dead Jews one Palestinian home worth.

Houses can be rebuilt. Lives can't.

For some, that house was all they had! That property was all they had in their life!

Sometimes it isn’t enough to just save lives, to be truly just you too have to save people from an absolute tragedy.

Explains Euro-ignorance about the conflict.

Excuse me Erikle. You are currently a member if the IDF. The IDF is the one making children homeless… therefore you are obviously going to pretend the IDF are the good guys. You ARE the bias party here, and every time I read your posts I know that you’ve probably listened to as much military propaganda and sound bits as the terrorists have. Every force on this planet indoctrinates their troops, the IDF is no exception.

And true, it doesn't change that fact at all, but you should put the finger towards the Palestinian terrorists themselves - they should stop using civilians as living shields! they should stop using civilians' houses to fire missiles from.

Oh will you stop blaming others for you actions! Terrorists kill Israelis, so the IDF go in and make children homeless and then says ‘it’s the terrorists fault!’. No it wasn’t, it was yours! You choose instead of killing the terrorists to make this child homeless;

user posted image

What did she do Erikle? I ask you again, and don't avoid the question this time. Why did the IDF see fit to punish this child and others like her for the actions an adult committed in a place this children probably has never heard, in a conflict she probably barely understands, over a country she couldn't even point out on a map!?

Are you ppl blind or just stupid??? Can't you see what the Israil governement is doing to the Palestinian. They are destroying and killing innocent ppl and children for absloutley no freakin reason. Why do the Israeil governement talk about "Peace" with the Palestinian ppl if they keep doing such actions. Of course the Palestinian ppl will react to their actions and want vengence for their lost friends and family members, you expect them to just sit around and get killed for no reason at all???

That is totally nonsense and no human being would want that. I mean what would you do if you were sitting at home and just relaxing and suddenly a rocket comes straight down at you for no reason and kills everyone in your house!! How would you feel , what would you do?? Just sit around and wait for some ****ed up politicain to make "Peace" with the Enemy that took away the closest ppl to your heart and your life.

That is Exactly what the Palestinian ppl feel right now and No One is looking at the Real Picture and seeing the Real Truth behind the Israeil acts. The Media Totally ignores what the Palestinian feel and do, they just focus on if they killed an Israeil person and don't give a sh** if 15 Palestinians die.

Well, I think that we have a wonderful example of an unstoppable force meeting an immovable object here, as this age old argument generally degenerates into name calling and hurt feelings.

I am going to use my new shiny never before used "leader" key and lock this thread before it turns into something rather unpleasant.

Thank you and have a nice day. original.gif

Fluffy

Edited by Fluffybunny