Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


* * * - - 8 votes

The slenderman myth

myth

  • Please log in to reply
247 replies to this topic

#1    Tarnibritan

Tarnibritan

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Joined:13 Oct 2012
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Sweden

  • No rest for the wicked

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:46 PM

Ok here goes, this is most likely a silly made up myth but I saw it on facebook today and there are actuel websites and photoes (majority are most likely fake) of what is known as the slenderman (also has many other names). He is a tall thin man usually with hollow eyes and wears a suit with a tie. From what i can grasp he stalks people years at a time and seems to just terrorise them or possess them. I could not find another thread on UM on this and would like to know if anyone else believes in this or even has additional knowledge. As you can probably tell i dont truly believe in it but im very much interested in the myth and its origins. I read that apparently the most recent sighting of a slenderman was in NSW Australia?? Anyone have thoughts on this? It sounds like something made up for the tv show supernatural but you never know.

Tarni


#2    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

    hi

  • Member
  • 7,771 posts
  • Joined:22 Apr 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portsmouth

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:01 PM

I think it's an internet myth where people post an image of anything and post a man in a dark suit. It's kinda like where's wally? but more darker and more fun. Some people say there is a story behind it but im not sure.

Oh here is a long slender man thread.
http://www.unexplain...howtopic=157598


#3    HerNibs

HerNibs

    Grand Duchess Anaesthesia

  • Member
  • 12,030 posts
  • Joined:03 Jan 2007
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Colorado

  • Endless repetition does not make something true.

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:55 PM

View PostTarnibritan, on 08 November 2012 - 12:46 PM, said:

Ok here goes, this is most likely a silly made up myth but I saw it on facebook today and there are actuel websites and photoes (majority are most likely fake) of what is known as the slenderman (also has many other names). He is a tall thin man usually with hollow eyes and wears a suit with a tie. From what i can grasp he stalks people years at a time and seems to just terrorise them or possess them. I could not find another thread on UM on this and would like to know if anyone else believes in this or even has additional knowledge. As you can probably tell i dont truly believe in it but im very much interested in the myth and its origins. I read that apparently the most recent sighting of a slenderman was in NSW Australia?? Anyone have thoughts on this? It sounds like something made up for the tv show supernatural but you never know.

Tarni

It was made up on the SomethingAwful boards.

Quote

Origin

On June 8th, 2009, a “’paranormal pictures” photoshop contest was launched on the Something Awful (SA) Forums.[1] The contest required participants to turn ordinary photographs into creepy-looking images through digital manipulation and then pass them on as authentic photographs on a number of paranormal forums. Something Awful users soon began sharing their faux-paranormal creations with layered images of ghosts and other anomalies, usually accompanied by a fabricated witness account to make them more convincing. On June 10th, SA user Victor Surge posted two black and white photographs of unnamed children with a short description of “Slender Man” as a mysterious creature who stalked children

Nibs

Just because it is a mystery to YOU doesn't make it unexplained.

STORM - a must watch - caution, some profanity and may cause you to experience reason.

#4    Ashotep

Ashotep

    Telekinetic

  • Member
  • 7,148 posts
  • Joined:10 May 2011
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:USA

  • Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:41 PM

There is all kinds of misinformation on the internet.


#5    Rafterman

Rafterman

    Majestic 12 Operative

  • Member
  • 6,011 posts
  • Joined:27 Sep 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Upstate

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:49 PM

As was shown above, it was an internet contest.

But thanks to the nature of the internet, that part gets forgotten and, voila, a new myth is born.  Then of course there are the nut jobs who contend that the contest was simply a cover to continue hiding the existence of Slender Man - you know, the gummit and all.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#6    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

    “What’s wrong with accepting madness?

  • Member
  • 2,520 posts
  • Joined:29 Jun 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:A really cold region devoid of stars

  • The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:27 PM

Its a cool myth though :tu:

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#7    Domina Lucis

Domina Lucis

    Extraterrestrial Entity

  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • Joined:02 Feb 2012
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Somewhere that has chocolate

  • "I'm not dead, so I'm obviously doing something right."

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:06 AM

Can't tell you how many people I know that claim that they've actually seen Slenderman and say that he's real.

Don't get me wrong. It's a cool story. But that's all it is.

Too bad Slenderman was ruined for me when people started fangirling over him.

Posted Image

Domina Lucis


#8    -M7

-M7

    Ectoplasmic Residue

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 145 posts
  • Joined:06 Sep 2012
  • Gender:Not Selected
  • Location:Planet Earth.

  • Open your mind to new ideas. There can be something else in play.

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:57 AM

Just when you think its just a game with name of slenderman and that is all made up...You find out it sort of is...wacky.


#9    psyche101

psyche101

    Conspiracy Realist

  • Member
  • 29,824 posts
  • Joined:30 Nov 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Oz

  • If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:12 AM

It is just a game.

My son was exposed to the Slenderman Myth at school, had the poor little tyke terrified for a few nights. When I got it out of him, we sat down at the computer and traced the legend to it's roots. And as mentioned above, it is completely made up, and the competition it won had a stipulation that the character was supposed to fool people into thinking it was real at the something awful forums. Not even original, based on another character, from memory I think he was called tall man.
He was OK after half a day if research, but it really gives the little ones a fright. The forum entry is now the official claim to go with the character.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo 'If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.' - Sir Isaac Newton. "Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit." Ed Stewart. Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs. Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Sir Wearer of Hats.


#10    orangepeaceful79

orangepeaceful79

    Poltergeist

  • Closed
  • 2,461 posts
  • Joined:05 Jan 2012

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:45 PM

View PostMisstreeDove, on 09 November 2012 - 12:06 AM, said:

Can't tell you how many people I know that claim that they've actually seen Slenderman and say that he's real.

Don't get me wrong. It's a cool story. But that's all it is.

Too bad Slenderman was ruined for me when people started fangirling over him.

It just goes to show how powerful suggestion can be.  You make up a good story, it goes swirling roundabout the interweb and pretty soon people are filing in to "report" having seen something which was fictitious to begin with.  Which is precisely why eyewitness testimony is just about as reliable as using vegetable oil instead of motor oil.  I'll wager that some of those folks who saw slenderman are every bit as convinced that slenderman is what they saw as any BFRO member out futzing around with Matt Moneytaker.  

Once again, proof positive that seeing isn't believing.  Its the other way around with the paranormal.  If you BELIEVE - you will SEE.  (whether its really there or not)  :tu:


#11    Darkdemigod0

Darkdemigod0

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Joined:10 Nov 2012

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:23 PM

to all you who say beliveing is seeing you are wrong ive seen him since 2009 and i didnt even know about back then so yeah that prove you wrong and back then no one in my family used the internet so ive seen him 13 in total since 2009 so dont discredit each story you hear because mine ie real


#12    Darkdemigod0

Darkdemigod0

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Joined:10 Nov 2012

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:28 PM

View Postorangepeaceful79, on 10 November 2012 - 04:45 PM, said:

It just goes to show how powerful suggestion can be.  You make up a good story, it goes swirling roundabout the interweb and pretty soon people are filing in to "report" having seen something which was fictitious to begin with.  Which is precisely why eyewitness testimony is just about as reliable as using vegetable oil instead of motor oil.  I'll wager that some of those folks who saw slenderman are every bit as convinced that slenderman is what they saw as any BFRO member out futzing around with Matt Moneytaker.  

Once again, proof positive that seeing isn't believing.  Its the other way around with the paranormal.  If you BELIEVE - you will SEE.  (whether its really there or not)  :tu:

View Postpsyche101, on 09 November 2012 - 06:12 AM, said:

It is just a game.

My son was exposed to the Slenderman Myth at school, had the poor little tyke terrified for a few nights. When I got it out of him, we sat down at the computer and traced the legend to it's roots. And as mentioned above, it is completely made up, and the competition it won had a stipulation that the character was supposed to fool people into thinking it was real at the something awful forums. Not even original, based on another character, from memory I think he was called tall man.
He was OK after half a day if research, but it really gives the little ones a fright. The forum entry is now the official claim to go with the character.

View Post-M7, on 09 November 2012 - 05:57 AM, said:

Just when you think its just a game with name of slenderman and that is all made up...You find out it sort of is...wacky.

View PostHerNibs, on 08 November 2012 - 01:55 PM, said:

View PostTarnibritan, on 08 November 2012 - 12:46 PM, said:

Ok here goes, this is most likely a silly made up myth but I saw it on facebook today and there are actuel websites and photoes (majority are most likely fake) of what is known as the slenderman (also has many other names). He is a tall thin man usually with hollow eyes and wears a suit with a tie. From what i can grasp he stalks people years at a time and seems to just terrorise them or possess them. I could not find another thread on UM on this and would like to know if anyone else believes in this or even has additional knowledge. As you can probably tell i dont truly believe in it but im very much interested in the myth and its origins. I read that apparently the most recent sighting of a slenderman was in NSW Australia?? Anyone have thoughts on this? It sounds like something made up for the tv show supernatural but you never know.

Tarni
  come on ive seen him 13 times since 2009 beliveing is not seeing i didnt know about him back then and i still saw him its not my imagination and no one in my used the internet so i prove all of you wrong dont just knock off stories of people who actually might need help like me. my story is real.


#13    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

    sempere aude

  • Member
  • 2,568 posts
  • Joined:22 Jun 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Seoul/Berlin

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:36 PM

Next time, please take a picture. Or even better, a video.


#14    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

    “What’s wrong with accepting madness?

  • Member
  • 2,520 posts
  • Joined:29 Jun 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:A really cold region devoid of stars

  • The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:37 PM

View PostDarkdemigod0, on 10 November 2012 - 05:28 PM, said:

  come on ive seen him 13 times since 2009 beliveing is not seeing i didnt know about him back then and i still saw him its not my imagination and no one in my used the internet so i prove all of you wrong dont just knock off stories of people who actually might need help like me. my story is real.
How exactly does he appear to you, are you scared of him or intrigued? What were the circumstances in which you saw him?

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#15    Domina Lucis

Domina Lucis

    Extraterrestrial Entity

  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • Joined:02 Feb 2012
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Somewhere that has chocolate

  • "I'm not dead, so I'm obviously doing something right."

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:17 PM

View PostDarkdemigod0, on 10 November 2012 - 05:23 PM, said:

to all you who say beliveing is seeing you are wrong ive seen him since 2009 and i didnt even know about back then so yeah that prove you wrong and back then no one in my family used the internet so ive seen him 13 in total since 2009 so dont discredit each story you hear because mine ie real

...

I hope you're joking.

I really do.

Posted Image

Domina Lucis






Also tagged with myth

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users